Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Modeling Amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Moustache_Bash, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I also use an X2 and primarily record. I add on a Boss ME 25 that I use almost exclusively as a booster pedal. Kinda expensive just for that but I got before I got the X2 to use with an XD.

I have the X2 head that I cable to a ext cab with an older Celestion G80 12. Makes a world of difference with the 12" speaker. Even so, using the line out into the Tascam takes no special EQ-ing at all.

Great amp. I haven't even looked into the Fuse software cuz...I'm not done working with the sounds already present.

As for the Johnson amp, that was way ahead of it's time for sure but a lot like the Mustangs with all the programming and tweaking. I prefer the X2 cuz there are none ;)

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Fav modeling amp?

Well until I got my Mustang III a year ago, I would have said my old (now gone) Cyber-Deluxe...

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

I completely understand. I used mine for a few years with my SS Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 and it sounded really good, much like the video demo of the JM 150. There are many deep editing features on the J-Station too, for coming up with your own patches. That on-line Johnson Library is loaded with nice presets for downloading.

What I like about the Johnson's too is that they take Sys Ex midi commands, meaning I can set every variable up to change with midi control program changes. So if I'm putting a jam track together with a program like REAPER, for example, or BIAB, I can program in "program changes" in any song location that will run the Johnson amp or J-Station automatically. It's pretty cool when you can have your effects or amp models change without having to think about it while you are playing.

None of the current modeling amps, that I know of, have that feature. I really enjoy my Mustang III but I have no desire to sell the J-Station. :)

4. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    My favorite Modeling amp is my Fender Vibro Champ XD, great for my chicken pickin with my teles with b and g benders!

WHen its late at night and the ole lady is asleep beside me I plug headphones into that Crate DJX112 I salvaged.

BUT I WANT A JOHNSON MILL!

5. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2013
    Nashville
    How in the world can there be so much talk of Johnson Milliniums without someone mentioning Scott Grove yet? He sounds really good through them on his YT vids, even though he's using a crappy camcorder to capture the tones. I think they sold for a couple grand new and still sell for $400-$500 today.

6. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    No one uses Orange or Marshall amps? Thought mg2cfx sounded alright for what it is.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have a lot of respect for Scott. I'm glad you brought up his name. It turns out that Scott and I share a few "living on the road" experiences. Close to the same age, rolled our equipment trucks into a few of the same towns and both played full time during the same era. He's a good player and knows his stuff.

8. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I plan on getting the Fender Mustang I v.2 for my first amp. I haven't able to get my hands on a peavey Vyper VIP or Vox vt20+ to compare. It sounds like the fuse software is superior.

9. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have had several modeling devices. Digitech GNX4 guitar workstation into monitors, RP250, Vibrochamp XD, Superchamp XD, a few Valvetronix amps, MicroCube (still have) Line 6 guitar port, and my favorite Superchamp X2.

I have always wanted either a silverface Princeton, or one of the reissue blackface PRs, but money has been tight these last 5 years or so, so I have settled for what I thought got me as close as possible, that was the SCX2. The more I play it though, I realize that the SCX2 has a mojo all its own, that is purely blackface Fender.

I love this little amp. I like tweakin it in Fuse, I like playing it raw through Channel 2 and clean through channel 1. It likes pedals, it likes different tubes, it sounds great out of the box, but little changes like Weber or Jensen speaker, just make it that much better!

I bought it when they first came out. I traded in my XD for it and have had it longer than any other amp. In 30 years of playing, I haven't kept any amp for longer than a couple years as my ear gets bored and I get GAS bad.

This amp always sounds new and fun when I turn it on. There is always a new sound hiding in it.

10. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

I prefer the VibroChamp XD over the SCXD, because of the lower wattage for home use. I have not failed to be impressesd with the sound each time I turn it on.

11. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    I have been modelling for a few years now--mostly Line 6--well all Line 6 to be truthful. I have an AX2 with floorboard, had a Pod Bean (gave it away), Live XT, Spider IV 30 watt. Am looking to get a 75 or 120? with the looping. I also have an 87 Seymour Duncan convertible and a 30wt Marshall SS but no electric guitars? I think they would sound better if I did LOL (Sold all my electrics and now building 2 Telecasters)

12. ScunnyDude

ScunnyDude TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2013
    North Lincolnshire
    I am from a long Line 6 camp and still occasionally gig and jam with my Vetta. Still a terrific amp and proved after all these years to be truly reliable. The learning curve was huge in the beginning but like everything, once mastered it's an absolute doddle to dial up virtually any sound required. Ok, it might not be HD like the HD500/DT50 system I have but still a Vetta is a more than capable amp.

I guess it's all down to your requirements and budget. There are tons of good modelling amps and boards out there. At home they're fantastic, live, well that's another story.

13. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2013
    Nashville
    Mustang vAltronix or older ypyr

14. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I also have a J Station in the closet. Were you able to use it live or just with your computer?

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I haven't gigged since 1998 and I got mine around 2003. When I decided to start playing again, I did get to use it during a full band rehearsal in the summer of 2008. I ran it through PA speakers and monitors to eliminate having to bring an amp. It sounded really good to my ears and got the band's thumbs up, although I would have ran it through my Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 for stage if I didn't get permanently injured during the fall of 2008. I was just getting ready to start bringing my Peavy amp to rehearsal to run it through before I had to call it quits. I was really looking forward to using it through the big combo amp so that was a major disappointment.

Before I got the Mustang, I ran it through my PV SC 212 at home mostly, and the computer for recording. Keyboards, and J-station into a small mixer, then into the computer. Both guitar and bass models sounded really nice recorded.

16. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear you're not playing now. I would like to dig it out and try it again. I bought it at a Nashville music store many years ago and just used it for a headphone practice amp for a while. Thanks for the ideas!

17. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2011
    wallingford,ct.

18. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I have come to realize that I much prefer my guitar's volume knob than a modeling amp. However I don't need to play dirty at practice volume, and I don't really play with much drive anyway.

19. yourhero

yourhero TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Kansas City
    I've been playing for 2 days now;), I've got a Fender Champion 20 and LOVE the Tweed Champ voice setting.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Cool, are you taking lessons or learning on your own?

I'm glad you're starting out with a nice amp. I haven't tried one out yet, looking forward to hearing one in person.l

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.