Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Modeling Amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Moustache_Bash, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Starting to see a pattern here? :cool:

There might be people who like something else better, but I have yet to meet a single person who did not like the Super Champ X2 (now someone will have to chime in and be contrary!)

I forgot to mention the Cube 40XL. I actually like the XL version better than the new GX model. With the GX they actually took away some features and attached that giant garish moniker... WTF? :rolleyes:

I don't own a 40XL yet, but several people I know do, and they're all very happy with them. I do own a Cube 30 and a Cube 60, as well as a THR5 and a Super Champ X2, and that's probably why I haven't bought a 40XL yet.

My Super Champ X2 has been my favorite since I bought it last June. Honeymoon's over, the SCX2 is for real! :D

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    There's no problem turning them down, but can you seriously recommend an 80 watt amp for house use. The problem arises when you turn the thing up.

I've got bigger amps I can turn down too but they rarely get used in the home. I have had the Cube20X for several years, it is just about the perfect size for home use.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't see a Cube 80** as a big amp. But then you have multiple amps. If the OP wants to have *one* modeling amp, why not have one that you could use in a group... you never know. My feeling with SS amps is that you can't have too many watts.

4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I am using my SCX2 with a 15 inch cab with a homemade brass adapter plate/tone ring with a 12 inch Peavey Black Widow speaker. The SCX2 has better clean tones than my Fender Silverface Bandmaster Reverb or Silverface Vibro Champ.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I really like my Mustang III V2, but the footswitching limitations bother me a little bit. The ability to support a twelve button footswitch would have made this nearly a perfect modeling amp in my eyes. Top bank of five presets, bottom bank of five effects toggles, and scroll up/scroll down.

6. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2010
    Alameda California
    +1 For the Mustang III. The Roland Amps Do OK but they lack some of the tones I really Like. I haven't heard one that comes anywhere near the sound of a Fender Deluxe Reverb or the like.

I have found the Mustangs analog controls on top of the amp wonderful to use, (they work just like any amps knobs). Set up the amp the way you like it using the knobs, then hit the save button. Done. The III is nice because the setting for the overdrive and the like are all visible and can be adjusted there on site on the fly if you want.

The Fuse software does allow you to adjust some interesting parameters like sag, and noise gates and the like. These are fun to play with IF YOU WANT TO. There are plenty of tones to get and play with without ever entering into FUSE. (Note Fuse does allow you to back up all your settings!).

The ability to support the 4 button floor pedal, and the 2 button floor pedal, and the Volume/Expression pedal, is wonderful.

I also Run my Line 6 HD400 through my Roland Cube and can get some good Fender Style tones out of it that way, but the Mustang III is so much easier to use.

Guy
    :)

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Agree, especially about the amazing tone quality along how easy the Mustangs are to use and the knob setup was designed using total common sense.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have to admit that I have not tried the larger Mustang III & IVs. I have checked out the Mustang I & II, but I thought the comparably priced smaller Cubes sounded better.

There's no accounting for taste, but since I haven't tried the larger Mustang III or IVs, I really don't know about them.

As with anything, people have a tendency to try and convince others (and themselves?) that the way they're doing something is the best way...

I think the USB computer interface and recording output technology is new enough that it should warrant both a first and second look.

The Yamaha THRs are special because they can run on batteries, and they're so tiny. The iPhone interface is pretty amazing too.

The Super Champ X2 is special because it has the same FUSE software found on the Mustangs, but is paired with a traditional tube amp. It's like the best of both worlds.

Hopefully the OP has gotten some new ideas from reading this thread...

9. Toomuchgear

Toomuchgear NEW MEMBER!

Sep 17, 2013
    Fishers Indiana
    I've tried many

I have a fender cyber twin and a Johnson millennium I run in stereo with a Morley a/b box. Limitless possibilities. I have tried and owned the vox (muddy), a line 6 vetta (shrill and synthetic sounding), a Yamaha g80, Marshall mg and avt. Roland cube (nice) and 3 tube amps. I love not having a mess of stomp boxes. The Johnson is my favorite modeling amp followed by the cyber twin. Both are discontinued but can be found on eBay.

10. mcztdx

mcztdx TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    Apparently everyone is missing the Johnson Amplification Millenium JM150, 250 and similar products. Now discontinued and still highly sought after. One of the first and best modeling amps ever made and very reliable.

11. mcztdx

mcztdx TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    I second the Johnsons! One of the best amps ever made.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I still have my Johnson J-Station. It sits on a shelf in its original box but I got many years of quality time from it. I wish I had the foot pedal. The last time I looked for one they were 2x the money as the J Station itself and had lots of people still bidding on them.

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    A friend of mine has really mastered that amp. He loaded it with some Weber Sig 12s and can make it do just about anything.

14. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Still diggin my old Flextone 3...it's a great little amp.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Twin Reverb. It only does one model but it nails it.

16. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

My Fender Mustang floorboard is a great deal. Love it for exercise at home with headphones and also directly in the power amp of my JTM45 clone and directly in the PA. Works fine in all ways. It´s got a lot of ampmodels but I use only 7ender models, the Twin, the 65 DR and the Supersonic. They work all great from clean to classic rock tones.

For me a very good solution for small venues when the JTM has to much power.

17. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I use a Fender Super champ X2 and a Roland 80gx for recording and different types of gigs. Both of these have line outs and the X2 has a USB recording interface. My TRRI and DRRI don't get played as much anymore because these two amps do a great job. The new Roland 80gx uses the new pedal board, which is convenient.

18. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I was wanting one of these Johnson JM 150's for a long time. They were ahead of their time, introduced back in the late 90's, IIRC. I remember seeing these at the music store and blown away for what they could do.

They were discontinued over ten years ago when Johnson folded but these amps are still cherished by their owners from what I've read.

I couldn't afford one when they were new so I settled for a J-Station.

I think this guy does a nice demo:

19. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    After Toomuchgear posted about his Johnson amp, I watched a few videos to check it out. I've had a J-Station for a long time and it has served me well, but I always used it as a recording tool through the computer. I didn't really see in terms of modeling capability how these amps would be any different than what is in the J-Station. When those were new, the J-Stations were considered high-end machines and they had a great reputation when held up to Line 6 and others. So, I pulled out the J-Station and ran it through a little SS amp and start messing around with different amp models. In the process, I've really developed a new appreciation for its modeling ability. In some modeling amps, including Fender's Mustang series and even the SCX2, I always hear an overtone of graininess, which I think is some sort of digital artifact. I have a Digitech RP255, and it has that graininess when you start pushing the dirt. But for some reason, it's not the same on the J-Station, and through the SS amp, I was getting some very convincing tones, with warmth and touch responsivness I never could quite get when running it through the computer. Now, it just seems to sound right.

The J-Station's '65 Bassman and 72 'Bandmaster models, in particular, are very satisfying. I A-B'd with a tube amp, and while the real tube amp has more presence and dimensionality, the J-Station holds up very well. In some ways, it gives less noisy performance, and the built-in reverbs are spectacular. I was kind of Gassing for a new amp, but this has helped to curb those impulses. The J-Station's Marshall models were always great too, and I'm finding some new appreciation for those ... great harmonics going right on the verge of controllable feedback, and I can get there easily by running a Rat in front of it.

The J-Station doesn't play as nicely through a tube amp IMO, but it's not a big deal if you have a decent SS amp sitting around. The key is to go into the deep editing mode and change the default cabinet on each model to a cabinet model that sounds best through your amp. Certain cabinet models work much better than others. Another good trick is to use the compressor and change the individual settings. It's almost like a sag control. The J-Station might not be as good as some new modelers, but for what it does have, it does very well, enough to where I don't feel like I need another modeling amp. And in the process, I'm getting tones that are very similar to the demos of the JM150.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.