Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Modeling Amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Moustache_Bash, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Moustache_Bash

Moustache_Bash TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Snohomish
    Been looking for a small modeling amp for noodling around and practicing in the house. So far I'm considering the Roland Cube 20XL, Line 6 Spider IV 15, and the Fender Mustang V1.

Wanted to hear your guys' input, and what ya'll like before I made a decision though.

So, what you all digging?

2. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2007
    morgantown wv
    Check out these Anderton's review videos on modeling practice amps.

3. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Although I really don't care for the pre-sets, I LOVE my Mustang III V2. I think all the Fender amp emulations sound really really good. And I use the basic 70's and 80's Marshall amp platforms quite a lot with my Gibson HB and P90 guitars.

4. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    for totally solid state. a used fender cyber deluxe.

or a cyber twin if you want a hybrid. I love mine and can get great sounds out of it. ive never played the cyber deluxe but have seen many good reviews..

ive got a first year cyber twin and have had 00 problems. but I think all these modeling amps are a real pain to fix and and better off just buying a new amp if they break down if it is in the computer part of the amp and not under warranty....

5. CostaRicaJones

CostaRicaJones Tele-Meister

Jul 4, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Roland Cube 30.

I've got the 80XL, and several other amps, but in my opinion the 30 has the best tone. Tele sounds very good, Strat with J. Vaughn pickups sounds even better through it.

Just a fantastic sounding amp.

6. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    +1

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

+1 I have the MIII version 1. Great for home practice and lots of people gig with them.

8. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    FUSE looks cool. I would like the Mustang just so I could play with the computer program.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    The Fuse software is fun to work with. The graphics are very cool and richly detailed. You'll get a nice picture of whatever amp or pedal you have dialed in on your amp.
    Just click the pedal and a close diagram of the pedal comes up. Turn the knobs on your amp and the knobs turn on the picture! If you like the sound, just click "SAVE" on the computer or on the amp itself. On your computer screen, place your pedals either in front of the amp, in whatever order you want, or in the effects loop. They will respond as a normal pedal does, depending on its placement.

Same thing with your amp model. Click the amp and a full size pic of the amp and controls comes on the screen. Whatever control changes you do on your amp will show on the picture. It makes editing easy, fast and fun. You can swap amp heads and cabinets out too.
    For future versions, it wouldn't surprise me if they let you choose what brand of tubes you want to use.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    I have a Cube20X and a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT.

My favourite is the AD30VT, an older model now the current VT40+ is its replacement.

Ime at least a 10-in speaker for decent sound, except the Cube which is well 'tuned' to its little box. My AD30VT is now equipped with a G10 Greenback which is really nice but that is putting a £70 speaker into a £120 amp.

The little Cube20X is small and cute and handy for transport or just taking up less space in the room.

Software is fun but you can end up spending hours just programming the thing instead of playing the guitar. Amplitube and Mobile POD and others can do that for you.

Both the amps above are good and well respected, pro performers use them. For a total beginner or just someone who likes a tidy house, I would recommend the Cube20X even though the AD30VT is more versatile.

11. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2012
    London, UK

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

I guess someone could spend "hours" just programming, but why? If someone spent "hours" just programming instead of practicing, I'd say they have a problem with self discipline.

I can knock out a new preset under five minutes on a Mustang and save it. For example, lets say I find a BB King video on YouTube. I really like his tone in this video and I want to work on some of his licks. In just a couple minutes, I've created a preset that captures his tone, and I'm off practicing.

Of course I'll choose the guitar that comes closest, and which pickup(s) I want to use.

There's no need to spend more time fooling with the amp unless your having more fun playing with the amp instead of practicing.

A lack of self disciple to play with the software instead of practicing isn't the amps fault. :)
    I do agree that it is tempting sometimes. I like have choices and options.

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    ^^^ 5 minutes is too long for me ;)

But how long did it take you to learn how to program the patches so quickly?
    Much the same thing inside a DAW like Sonar, there's lots of toys in there to play with. And then there are things like the Korg AX10G MFX which is a Vox modeller in a floor pedal, with a gazillion patches stored, if only I could remember which one ...

Me, I find I can throw a switch and tweak a couple of knobs and do much the same thing in a few seconds.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm very partial to the Roland Cubes. They're great sounding amps with great features and are very easy to operate. Everything is done with analog controls. Nothing is digital or programmable. If you like that sort of thing then Cubes aren't for you.

What they are though is lightweight amps with a lot of power in a small package. I think one other advantage of the line is the number of different models available to meet various needs and the two most powerful models, the 40w and 80w versions, are very giggable amps but also good bedroom amps because of their "Power Squeeze" attenuator.

To me they're both great sounding and fun to play or gig with and I can't say the same about other modeling amps I've played.

15. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    Fender Mustang.
    I've got the mustang III and love it. Fuse is really fun to

16. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA
    Fender Super Champ X2

17. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    Gotta agree with Jefrs on the AD30VT. It's a great little amp and having finally gotten round to fitting an output socket can say it sounds great through a 12" - in my case a Fane lead that I've had sitting round for years....

18. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    Blackstar HT 5 for modeling.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I have an HD500 floor modeler with the Line 6 DT50 modeling tube amp and the HD500 EDIT software. It is an amazing combination and provides any sort of configuration you could ask for.

I started with the GDEC 3/30 and Fender Fuse, but the amp is mostly a practice amp though it is the best MP3 player you could buy and I use Fuse with it for backing tracks and playing CD's and recording those as separate tracks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.