Favorite Fuzz?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Doomguy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

The Wilson Knuckle Dragger is a Super Fuzz with some extra tweakability I dig it!

I think of getting a bosstone clone by Mahoney. Like the idea of plugging straight into the guitar!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Danocaster Cool Cat V1 fuzz.....Peach Fuzz clone. Sold or traded my original a while back and couldn't make out with other ones, so, saw one at the local GC ($20!!). Could not get my wallet out fast enough!

3. 6String69

6String69 TDPRI Member

I just picked up an Ibanez mini fuzz
    pedal that sounds pretty cool.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd have to say Big Muff for me as well even if it technically is not a fuzz according to some purists... so what if it has extra transistors.

And actually I have the Op Amp Big Muff Pi Reissue.. so mine has Op Amps!

I am going to breadboard a Fuzz Face at some point.

The other Fuzz I literally just sold and shipped today that I had was an Orange Fur Coat. That is a pretty cool Foxx Tone Machine clone. For me the issue with that vs my Big Muff is that the Bass goes out of control way faster on the Fur Coat than on my particular BMP. I like a lot of the in between sounds accessed by rolling the volume off on the guitar, what happens with my Rig (10" speaker) is that the Muff gets better access to those in between sounds as the bass doesn't run over my amp nearly as easily.

I hear people say the Russian Muffs have more Bass than some of the other ones, so I might not have liked them as much. My guess is I would really like the Triangle reissue.

I have an Orange Amp, it can sound like a subtle fuzz on it's own. It won't necessarily sound like a really outrageous over the top fuzz that's dimed though. There is an area on the gain spectrum for Orange Amps where they sound fuzzy like a Fuzz with your guitar volume rolled off.. but as you keep increasing the gain on the amp it takes on a different character that doesn't sound like Fuzz.. to my ear it starts sounding more like other varieties of high gain amp.. it gets tighter above the fuzz zone.

Doomguy likes this.
  5. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

It depends on what you are going for... Some people like the subtlety of a fuzz and the dynamics of cleaning up with your volume knob, some like creamy gain and endless sustain.To me I think if youre using a fuzz, you might as well go ALL IN. I really like the Earthquaker Devices Fuzz Master General. It is totally uncontrollable and almost borders on noise, but man if you want fuzz especially with that nasty ripping upper octave, it will do it!

Doomguy likes this.
  6. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

I've developed a minor fuzz addiction lately. My current favorite is an Analogman Sun Face red-dot NKT. It was my first fuzz face. I debated for a while whether or not to spend so much on such a simple circuit, but finally figured that I might as well get what I really wanted, and if I didn't like it, fuzz faces probably weren't my thing. (I got it used for a good price on Reverb, so I wouldn't have lost much--might even have a made a few bucks--if I didn't like it.)

I love that thing. Goes from almost clean to an awesome bluesy growl to rockin' heavy overdrive on up to fuzz just by adjusting my guitar's volume. Perfect for sticking in the pocket of my guitar case if I want to travel light. The only problem is that now I want more Analogman fuzzes. . .

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think this really depends on what you're trying to play.

If it's all single note lead runs you've got a lot more leeway.

If it's something like a Smashing pumpkins rhythm part you have a lot more leeway to go crazy too as it's just all crazy all the time till you turn it off.

If it's something that goes back and forth iI find it harder. I've been learning Gary Clark Jr. stuff lately. He does 12-bar sections where when you're playing over I you might need a decent amount of fuzz, and then all of a sudden when you play over IV and V you need way less. That kind of thing seems more demanding of what circuit you're using and your skill with your pick attack + volume knob.

This was kind of what prompted me to decide I'm sticking with my Op Amp Muff and sold my Fur Coat. My particular big muff with my amp has less compression than the Fur Coat + my amp has. So I can get more variation between light picking for less fuzz & hard picking for more.

8. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Right now it's the Park Fuzz Sound (essentially a Tonebender Mk III). Very simple. However it's germanium and summer is coming. When the weather gets humid and above the low 80s or so things start to change...

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I've experimented with the classics; Silicon & Germanium FF, Tone Benders, Muffs, etc. All great, but for something that blends with my sound rather than taking it over I'm loving the Catalinbread Germanium Karma Suture. The silicon version is nice too, but much more aggressive/modern, and the low end completely drops out when you roll back the guitar volume.
    It's got mids, cleans up as well as a FF, and really adds unique harmonic complexity. I've never heard anything like it.
    The controls are brilliant too. Really easy to dial in.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

11. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Lovepedal Fuzz 50 Royale.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.