Favorite Fuzz?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Doomguy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Doomguy

Doomguy TDPRI Member

I have accrued a few fuzz pedals throughout my guitar playing career and have become a bit of an addict to say the least... I now spend hours watching demos for fuzzes that I'll likely never own. I was bored, thinking about what my favorite fuzz box was and figured I'd ask the community and see where your heads are at. Maybe gain inspiration for my next purchase, haha.

My current favorite is the EHX Green Russian Big Muff. Volume at noon, sustain at 3, tone at 7. Ran into my cranked Orange head. Perfect for those heavy, stoner/doom tones. Love riffing out with it.

Gunerius likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For Muffs I like the Blackout Musket.
    My favorite fuzz family though is the Tone Benders of which there are many.
    Recently got an older Basic Audio Scarab (non deluxe), which is a refined Bender circuit.
    And have a clone of the Blackout Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe coming in the mail.

magic smoke and Doomguy like this.
  3. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

univox super fuzz is the best by far. followed by the maestro fuzz the stones/kinks used imo.

Fearnot, Gunerius and Doomguy like this.
  4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I use a Fuzz Face mini Blue and also a Jext Telez White pedal. But nothings beats the Foxx Fuzz Wah I had back in the mid 70's. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Obelisk and Doomguy like this.
  5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I like a Muff. A Nano Muff. It’s actually a usable tool for me.

6. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

EQD Park Fuzz (germanium). Its a Tonebender MkIII clone and has a very satisfying wooly tone. For silicon, I have Swollen Pickle MkII and Daredevil Northern Creeper...both also very wooly and individually awesome. I come from the J. Mascis school of thought when regarding fuzz.

Doomguy likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I watched this the other day.

Fuzz detective..

Seasicksailor likes this.
  8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

A Big Muff is more of fuzzstortion than a proper fuzz pedal. I like the Roland BeeBaa over the Big Muff for the fuzzstortion pedals, but the Green Russian Muff is a worthy reissue. I own dozens of fuzz pedals. If I had to pick one, it would be a Foxx Tone Machine. That particular fuzz circuit just rules. It's a Super Fuzz with more teeth and an actual Octave Fuzz voice. Of the classic fuzz circuits, I tend to go with a Fuzz Face variant. My current fave is part of FoxRox Captain Coconut. I just picked a D*A*M Grease Box for fairly cheap. That is a great 2 transistor fuzz that cleans up great with volume backed off. Same with the Roger Mayer Axis. I like the Mosrite FuzzRite as well. Of the lesser known fuzz pedals, I really love the fuzz pedal that comes with a Roland Double Beat Fuzz Wa. That fuzz is killer-it's a basic 2 transistor fuzz that just sounds great. Fuzz wah pedals are a good way to find cheaper variants of classic fuzz circuits. There are dozens of Shin Ei made 8 tr Fuzz Wah pedals that contain the early Super Fuzz as its fuzz. I have three of those that were bought for far less than one original Super Fuzz goes for. They can still be found for under $200. The wa is a basic Crybaby type, but the fuzz is to die for

Maybe I own your pedal as I currently have six Foxx Fuzz Wa pedals in the stable. They used to be a great value a few years ago at $150 and under. The fuzz in those is the same as a Foxx Tone Machine. You get a killer wah with 4 different tapers that work from bass to keyboards plus one of the best fuzz circuits of all time. You just have to ditch the volume pedal part of the circuit. If you are looking for the Tone Machine on the cheap, try to locate a Danelectro French Toast. Steve Rudinger, the person who founded Foxx as a teenager, was in charge of all of the Danelectro pedals, so he put out a Tone Machine as part of the line. They are bit chintzy, but they capture the sound on the cheap.

telemnemonics, VWAmTele and beyer160 like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I tend to like Fuzz Faces, but I've recently started changing up my rig and have a French Toast on the board right now.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a old Purple Fuzz Face that my brother gave me back in the 70's when I started out playing, I didn't use it much for what I was playing and he took it back and pawned it for whatever. I liked it a lot though for that Classic Fuzz sound.

11. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

B0EF3900-6305-4E8D-BA33-251564A7596C.jpeg
    This just arrived today. I was looking for a bright vintage fuzz tone like a fuzz-tone. This does that real well.

Jakeboy and kevsonic like this.
  12. Doomguy

Doomguy TDPRI Member

Another one of my favorite fuzzes is the Boss FZ-2, produced from 1992-97. Didn't sell well and wasn't too popular especially over here in the US. Gained an underground following after the stoner/doom band Electric Wizard used it on a couple of their albums, Dopethrone being the most remarkable.

The fuzz one function is almost unusable. Fuzz two is where all the fun is at, that face melting, velcro ripping tone. And the boost function does exactly what you'd think it does.

I bought mine used for about $250. It's only good in very particular settings, but man does it roar!

sacudidas likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I couldn’t choose between a Big Muff and a Fuzz Face so went for a Way Huge Swollen Pickle as it’s really versatile. Works well for me as I don’t use a ton of fuzz and therefore didn’t need to start a collection.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't believe in paying big money to sound broken. My favourite fuzz is a cheapie Rowin LEF-606. It has fuzz ( labelled sustain ), volume and tone and does it all. I have many fuzz, and overall, the Rowin sits proud.
    For overall mayhem, for those 'Stooges' moments we all have, the Behringer VT911 takes some beating as a fuzz-a-like. It's meant to be an overdrive, but to me excels at making things sound broken. Wind everything up and lets the dogs of skrank free.

E5RSY likes this.
  15. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

The greatest fuzz tone has always come from a good ol’ tweed amp dimed. The second best thing is to me is the trusty old fuzz face or any if the million clones there of.

I decided that life is too short for germanium fuzzes years ago. They are just not reliable live - hates stage lights (heat) - and sounds amazing sometimes, but plane bad at other times. I guess they can join the wall of cranked Marshalls in gear heaven.

I recently pulled out a silicon fuzz face I build a decade ago or so. The transistors (BC108) are not really matched and gets pretty gnarley at higher gain settings, but with the right bias adjustments it cleans up beautifully. Between that and a close of the Roger Mayer Octavia I build around the same time, I can my fuzz desires covered.

I would like to give the old Fender Blender a test drive at some point though. And maybe a Zvex Fuzz Factory if those still exist.

16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My favorite is a vintage, noisy old Big Muff Pi like I used to have. Is one on my pedalboard? No. And it's all because I gave my gear to a friend to safeguard while I served in the Navy. Then he went in the Army. Then his parents died while he was serving, the sister held a sale, and my Muff was never seen again, and that was 30 years ago. In it's place, I have a cheap Donner Stylish Fuzz. It's no Muff, but with single coils, sounds just like Alex Lifeson's opening to Working Man. It can scream, or sing sweetly if that is what one is after, but I am not much of a fuzz pedal guy, preferring to overdrive a preamp for my dirt & growl.

17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've only ever used my Fuzz Factory, but I think it's great. It has a reputation for being difficult to dial in, and that's not entirely undeserved, but I think it's exaggerated. It takes more time to get used to what each control does, but that's because there are 5 knobs, and only 2 (volume and drive) are what you might find in any distortion pedal. Once you get a feel for what each control does, it's easy enough to dial in.

You can dial in anything from "really distorted distortion" fuzz to weird "broken" sounds to theremin-like oscillations when you're not even playing notes. Messing with your guitar's volume control and pickup selector brings out even more options.

One thing I would recommend for anyone who hasn't used one is turning the volume all the way down before you start twisting knobs, and then slowly bring it back up to where you like it. Between the oscillations that can occur and the sheer level of volume available, you can be in for some nasty surprises if you're not careful with the volume knob.

King Creole and jddub440 like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to spend more time with this

And, I've never even tried this one out, yet, I've had it a long time now

tele-bastard and brbadg like this.
  19. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

That would be Boss’s version of the Univox Super Fuzz. Man the market is crazy on FZ-2s these days. I got mine a few years ago for $110. For Super Fuzz clones I’ve also had the Idiotbox Swanson and the Wilson Audio Knuckle Dragger. The Knuckle Dragger was absolutely amazing. Easily defeated my FZ-2, and I love the FZ-2!

My current favorite fuzzes are both from Way Huge. The Russian Pickle is first and its George Tripp’s part for part circuit trace of his friends 90s Green Russian Big Muff, Dunlop liked the prototype enough to put it into production but it’s literally an exact trace of one particular example of the Green Russian circuit. It’s as huge sounding and devastating as a good Sovtek Big Muff should be. I’ve tried every other variant of Big Muff too, with a good Violet Rams Head or Triangle being spectacular options as well. If you’re looking for doom riffing, give the new EHX Triangle reissue a try, it’s got massive sizzling gain and even more bass than even the Green Russian. It’s the biggest sounding Big Muff I’ve ever played.

The other one I have is the Way Huge Havalina, which I got because they were being blown out at $70 (and still are). It’s a tweaked Tonebender circuit that uses three vintage Russian Germanium transistors. This is the fuzz that finally scratched that itch I had for the 60’s psych/biker movie fuzz sound. I’ve tried Superfuzzes and Fuzz faces and tons of others, but none of them did it for me till the Havalina came around. And at $70 at that!

sacudidas and Marquee Moon like this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I am partial to Roger Mayer Spitfire and also Mogoose deppending on the guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.