Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Fuzz and Why??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lareplus, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ObjectBlue

ObjectBlue Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    Newburgh, IN
    Havent had that great of luck with big muffs, looking for something more ragged out

2. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

Aug 26, 2008
    Rockwell
    Hi guys, just wanna share I finally got my first fuzz pedal!

[​IMG]

Still learning and playing around with it, but my tele is surely loving the phat sound! Thanks again to Turi for his tips and suggestions on this! =)

Fuzz on!

3. Californiaman

Californiaman Tele-Meister

Aug 8, 2007
    Santa Maria, CA
    +1 on the the '69.

I have others I like to mix in now and again, but usually the '69 all the time.

4. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Holic

Dec 4, 2009
    Wherever
    Earlier in this thread, I posted that I was having trouble cutting through the mix live with my BYOC (Large Beaver) Triangle Big Muff clone. I started twiddling some knobs and finally found a sound that is perfect for leads. I run my OCD into the LB. The OCD w/the guitar volume down provides a little dirt for rhythm. Crank the guitar volume up and it's nice and crunchy. Kick in the LB with the volume on the pedal up a bit and the mid-boost engaged and it absolutely screams. So, not having that much experiences with fuzz pedals (I've owned a MJM London, a Little Big Muff, a Big Muff NYC and still have a Dano French Toast), I must say I'm very happy with the BYOC. Be forwarned however that the pedal does NOT clean up well with the guitar's volume knob. Instead when you lower it, it sounds more like an OD.

And best of all I can pretend I own a vintage Big Muff. :D

5. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    True that ;)

I alo find that my new'er Green Bass Muff works great for early Black Keys stuff.

Love the tone he gets here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvulRWKxIUo

6. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Mahoney Acid Tone. Great buzzy bee sound without the harshness that similar boxes are guilty of.

7. Saucer4

Saucer4 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Western Australia
    I don't really have a favourite and I like to play with all of these.

The only ones I don't really like are the modern-style super high gain fuzzes like the Earthquaker Hoof. I had one - loved the finish, quality, size but was just too much gain for me.

The Zoom is like a fuzz factory, the DOD 52 is super well behaved and versatile, the Bosstone is a Bosstone (probably the one I would keep if I could only have one, nice and raggedy and controllable from the guitar) Muffs are muffs - one trick ponies really, but the options on the tone/wicker and the blend on the Bass BM are useful. Love the Rat, love the DS-1. The fuzz face lift is a positive ground Ge fuzz, like a good ole fuzz face - another one trick pony

you gotta ride all the different ponies, I reckon

Attached Files:

8. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Good to see an Ultra Fuzz there Saucer4. Love mine.

Is that a Power Drive next to it? I'm looking for a Hyper Lead to if you know of one anywhere.

I'm pretty fond of the Tri Metal also.

An under rated series of pedals, in my opinion.

9. Saucer4

Saucer4 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Western Australia
    yep - I love my power drive
    love the ultra fuzz too - it really is a fuzz "factory" it does just about everything, including the self-oscillating thing (which is useless to me, but fun)
    They really are huge quality builds. If I ever see a Tri-Metal or Hyper-Lead at reasonable prices, I will probably grab them for myself
    I agree - underrated, but sadly, no longer cheap

10. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    Is there any Barge Concepts fans out here ?

I am looking into both the BP-1 (Harmonic Perculator clone) & the BB-Jr (Roland Bee Ba clone), but just can not get myself to pull the trigger.

http://bargeconcepts.com/bbnew.html

Any info wellcome . . .

11. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    ATT al you Aussie's . . .

First of all, a massive congratz on the Tour de France, Well Done Guys !

Secondly . . . anyone from Brisbane ? Or close to Tym Guitars ?

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/?page_id=620

Looks like this bloke is turning out some rocking FX-units.
    I am GAS'ing for a Human Fly, ala, The Cramps.

Any info on this Tym Guitars then ?

12. Saucer4

Saucer4 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Western Australia
    I'm on the west coast (Perth)

metulmykul (four posts up) is from Brisbane

Tym's is a pretty cool shop

13. misc1600

misc1600 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2011
    Erie, CO
    Algal Bloom by Fuzzhugger! A very versatile fuzz, good with chords, cleans up well, well built, and not that expensive.

14. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    I talk to Tim every other day SirJackdeFuzz.

What do you need to know? All pedals are hand made by Tim himself and he doesn't do sound samples; too many variables from him to you.

Happy to ask any questions.

15. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2008
    London, UK
    I recently got a Cornell 1st Fuzz (NKT275 germanium fuzz face clone, in a smaller package) - Wow!

Denis Cornell built some of the original UK Dallas Arbiter fuzz faces and he also makes incredible amps here in sunny England.
    Anyway, it's pretty sweet. It has that germanium sizzle i like and it's real fat, even on the bridge pick-up on my tele. It sounds awesome playing single note riffs. You can nail the heavier Black Keys riffs, dead on, like 'Thickfreakness', 'Have Love Will Travel' and 'Till I Get My Way'

16. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa

I got my Cornell 1st Fuzz about 2 months ago (Southampton - The Guitar Shop), and yes, you are correct when you say W O W !

I get more sizzle from the 1st Fuzz, on my Tele, when i roll the tone all the way off - is that normal ?

17. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    Ahh sweet - good to know.
    I will be in the market for a good quality box that will give me a spot-on Poison Ivy tone, come December.

18. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2008
    London, UK
    Cool, another 1st fuzzer :D DC's stuff is first rate and i love the way he answers the email/phone when you call him.

Hmm, not sure about that tone knob thingy. Although, i sometimes use my Hot Cake as a lesser 'fuzz' (gain turned up a bit) and it seems fuzzier on the neck pup.

19. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    On the topic of Cornell . . .

. . . if i had more money with me, when i got the 1st Fuzz, i would have bought his TM Boost too.
    Sadly, i did not.

20. t_mbaker

t_mbaker TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Australia
    Hey SirJackdeFuzz I'm pretty sure Barge Concepts is no longer in business (I might be wrong though).
    Every now and then some stuff pops up on ebay though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.