Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Fuzz and Why??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lareplus, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Trachouse also has an internal trim pot that I have yet to play with.

You're right about a "covers player" using one of them. It's perfect for that.

If I was in a band that did old garage or pysch stuff all the time :

Fulltone '69 or a Sunface.

No question.

That's not the case though so :

$65 fuzz.

2. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Holic

Dec 4, 2009
    Wherever
    Sorry to thread jack, but how do you guys use your fuzzes live? I have a BMP clone (BYOC Large Beaver) and an MJM London and neither one can be heard over the band even when I turn up real loud. Any suggestions?

Also sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread (or elsewhere on the site). I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I just e-mailed (and heard back) from David, nice guy, and he says that he is waiting for painted boxes w/logo to arrive so the pedals will not be out 'till June and I think the Fuzz will be $85 (shipped)- pretty damn good IMO.

He offered to make me an unpainted one for $69 this weekend (nice!) but I'm gonna get me a painted one- what the heck! This pedal sounds like what I have been lusting for in an affordable fuzz- and in the simple "MXR" size and control format too, yay!!:twisted:;)

4. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Tele-Meister

May 23, 2011
    England
    I've tried a lot of different types of fuzz, but don't think I'll either my Shin-Ei, or Shin-Ei clone, The Land of the Rising Fuzzz. Two knobs, sounds pretty much the same through any guitar/pickup/amp combo. Sounds crap with chords. Sounds like fuzz should. :D

[​IMG]

5. stevics

stevics Tele-Meister

May 20, 2011
    Saaarfend UK
    Haven't seen Skreddy's Lunar Module mentioned.

I been trying a few recently before buying

Winner for me is the Lunar Module found it easy to find the tones I wanted. (waiting patiently for it to arrive)

Close runners up: Fuzz Factory, I know the tone is in there just not so easy to find (great fun pedal though)

Similar for the Musket, another great fuzz pedal, just lost out to the LMs ease of use.

6. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Tele-Meister

May 25, 2011
    California
    My Dunlop fuzz face, it's obviously not the best out there, but for 80 bucks it does what a fuzz should

7. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    Baltimore
    Triangle Big Muff.

Good enough for J Mascis and Billy Corgan and Tony Iommi, good enough for me.

8. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Way Huge Red Llama. Now if they'd just reissue it like they did their Green Rhino, I'd be one happy guitarist. I love my Green Rhino RI.

9. OG_Stike

OG_Stike TDPRI Member

May 29, 2011
    Bergenfield,NJ
    Zvex Fuzz Factory for me - endless hours of exploring realms of twisted fuzz.

But my favorite is now sadly gone - it was an EH Muff Fuzz
    [​IMG]

I had someone make a custom housing for me (it also included an LPB1, Small Stone Phase and Dr Q). It was powered from the amp and one day it got fried. I lost track of the box over the years, but I would kill to have it back.

10. rockow

rockow NEW MEMBER!

Jan 21, 2009
    Hamilton Ontario
    Seymour duncan tweek fuzz!

11. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Mahoney Acid Tone. Great sounding '60's buzzy fuzz without the extreme rasp. Good with single note lines, and chords. In the Mosrite family, but not as harsh. Still buzzy, but more useable than your average can o' bees fuzz.

Last edited: May 30, 2011

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    i just picked up a used devi ever rocket. it's an interesting pedal, and i haven't quite gotten my head around how i want to use it yet. it's two of her fuzz pedal designs in one box, with two footswitches. the first one feeds into the second when they're both on. and there's some sort of pick dynamic sensitive vibrato option that i don't really understand yet.

13. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

Jun 23, 2008
    Monroe
    Fuzzrite - for that cutting spaghetti western sound.

14. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Would anyone be able to tell me if the "facial fuzz" setting in the Line 6 M5 or M9 multi-effects units sounds very close to real "fuzz face"?

Did a search, came up empty. Didn't want to start another fuzz thread.

Thanks,
    Jim

15. misc1600

misc1600 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2011
    Erie, CO
    +1. I love this pedal

16. ivansardi

ivansardi TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Croatia
    pharaoh and LSTR ... ultimate fuzz combination. Tnx BAT!

17. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa

+1000 on the Pharoah :idea: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I got a Cornell 1st Fuzz a week or so ago = W O W !

18. ObjectBlue

ObjectBlue Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    Newburgh, IN
    I have always loved other players' fuzz tones but have never found one that I could kick on after using a FD2 and OCD all night that sat well within the context of my other balanced blues/funk/reggae tones. Any suggestions? Always wanted a raunchy fuzz vibe to contrast but i dont want to restructure my tonal concept everytime I turn it on.

19. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa

Blues fuzz tone ?

Look into the Black Keys (ther 1st four albums) for great sounding fuzz tones in a blues context :twisted:

Telecaster -->fuzz -->Marshall JTM45 = early Black Keys.

20. ivansardi

ivansardi TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Croatia
    black keys tone green russian big muff ... or modded black one ;) ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.