Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Fuzz and Why??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lareplus, Mar 16, 2010.

1. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    Fuzz lovers! Do you have a favorite? What do you like about it?

And do you get good fuzz at bedroom volumes. . .

2. tonedog

tonedog TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Analogman Sunface NKT 275.

Lord knows there is no shortage of fuzzes out there - I'd love to try them all! What I love about the Sunface is the classic tone, use for low grit to full fuzz, touch sensitivity, and the ability to control it/clean it up from the guitar volume knob. It's my most-used dirt pedal.

Yes, I get good fuzz at bedroom (living room, for me) levels, though this probably has more to do with my amp (Goodsell S17).

3. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The Keeley Fuzz Head is a great pedal. Fuzz and OD in one. Worth every cent.

4. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

These days it is a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz.

Very versatile but vintage tone.

5. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    +1 on the VL SuperFuzz.

6. TeleFunking

TeleFunking Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2008
    Brazil
    MG Fuzzyland...Good vintage fuzzy tones and simple controls (Volume and Fuzz)

7. LakePlacidBlue

LakePlacidBlue Former Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Europe
    Fulltone '69, it's versatile and also great with a booster.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Always wanted a Fulltone '69. But couldn't find one I was willing to pay that much for... same thing with the Sunface with the germanium. They're so dang expensive I've never gotten a chance to own one.

I do give a huge +1 to the Fuzz Head! Love mine. It's a great constant grit that's not buzzy and it doesn't go all farty on you at higher levels. It's got a lot of boost, if you need it. But I like it for it's just regular level dirt. And if I want a little of that square wave sound, I flip the switch over to add in a silicon flavor.

9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    I have long been a fuzz lover. . .I can remember very clearly the first time I heard that sound, it was radical and I loved it, maybe eight years old or so.

I guess my BMR. . .Big Muff Russian is my favorite. I like darker sound fuzzes. . .I like it better than my vintage Tone Bender. .

10. I am loving the MJM London Fuzz (germanium) - excellent at any volume. Next I'd love to pick up a Tonebender clone, maybe the Soul Bender.

11. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    I love my Frantone Peachfuzz because it is really versatile and sounds good w/ other pedals. Sounds especially good if you starve the voltage a little.

PJ

12. skinzbaby

skinzbaby TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2010
    NH
    Fulltone '69 all the way, Great musical fuzz that cleans up real well with volume knob. I've sold all my other fuzzes once I got the '69.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    My 20 year old(WTF!?, I'm Old!) DOD Classic Fuzz, has about the best range and sound I've ever come across..after all this time it is still quiet when you aren't strumming, and I can get sludgy, bright and buzzy, smooth, a Spaghetti Western type fuzz(which I was going to get, cause the case is so cool, not to mention sounds great)and of course real hard garage rock type sounds...just very usable at all settings,,back in 1990 I got it for $34.99, brand spanking new..it used to kill "hair bands", dead:twisted:.....,"from my cold, dead hands!"

14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Lately I've been really getting into my Dano Cool Cat version 1 Fuzz, which is a clone of the Peachfuzz. It's a pretty awesome unit. Lots of good tones in there.

15. rbrienzo

rbrienzo Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Sioux city IA
    I love my MXR Classic 108. It's just like a Fuzz Face with a smaller box and a switchable buffer circuit in it. The buffer comes in handy when you want to retain some high end at lower gain settings or when it isn't playing nice with other pedals. It can sound very Hendrix like or it can get that violin type sound Eric Johnson gets. It also great for some nasty power chord garage rock.

16. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Waterville, Maine
    I love mine. It's really musical -- the whole spectrum from distortion to all-out fuzz, yet never harsh or artificial-sounding. .

17. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    There it is, never artificial sounding... Organic grit. It's actually the perfect description of this pedal. :D

18. naneek

naneek TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    My favorite fuzz pedal is my Big Muff Pi with tone wicker and tone bypass. You can get a crunchy overdrive if you use tone bypass and the wicker, or the classic big muff sound if you don't.

great web site, by the way

19. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    i have a frantone cream puff that's as fat and nasty as anything. used it with a group last year that did the chi-lites "have you seen her?", and even though i only used that pedal for about 45 seconds of the set, it was my favorite moment...

20. Toph1962

Toph1962 TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    USA
    Fuzz Face hands down for me. Amazing for blues

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.