Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite DOD Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    What are your favorite DOD pedals? I understand that there are some "sleepers" that sound real good. And I seem to remember talk of a real good OD or Distortion pedal. I know it wasn't a "Supra Distortion" 'cause I had one. ;-)

2. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    the Supra Distortion was the first pedal I ever bought. I was in high school. sold my Super Nintendo to buy it. yeah, that's right...

of course i don't still have it. nor do i have the Rogue tele copy i bought the pedal to use with...

3. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I like the Preamp/Overdrive 250. Through a good amp it really sings.

4. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Gosh so many. I could easily gig a whole board of just DOD and for a while i did nearly that. High on my list are:

FX90, FX96 Delays
    FX25 env follower
    FX52 fuzz
    FX60/65/68 Chorus

I have also gigged for years with a FX69 (grunge) on my board which i used as a special effect & to elicit feedback. It is a hideous thing. But I love it so. I need to score a back up as my switch i getting hinky. I only like the original issue flat switch version. The rev B or whatever of this pedal didn't have the same anti-mojo.

5. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    I love these things!

I have about a dozen or so, the Phasers and Phasors, all the fuzzies, some ODs and distortions and others. I guess I've started to collect them for some reason. If any one has a Buzzbox, Meatbox, Vibra thang, Gonkulator, Octoplus, Thrashmaster or Metalmaster that they need to offload, please give me a shout.

I like the outrageous distortion circuits and some of the names. I used the Grunge for a while, then tried the Punkifier but now i have the Death Metal (FX86) in it's place. I like that the blurb that comes with it gives me settings for Pungent Stench, Pig Destroyer etc :lol::p:eek:

I'm trying to get the Buzzbox etc for the noise stuff we do and the Thrash and Metal for their flouro colours. I mean who calls a pedal 'The ThrashMaster' and then colours it flouro pink?

Awesome!

Some have really crap names and some are really crap pedals but i love 'em, Except for those dodgey stomp switches.

Here's a very handy link.

6. burnt rope

burnt rope Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2010
    minnesota
    the pds series delays are killer
    fx94 delay/looper is on my board right now, but like all things dod the switch is iffy.
    the analog delay is cool...i think its the fx 90
    i guess i really only care about the delays

7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I've owned these in the past,and all were excellent!
    250 Overdrive/preamp
    FX80B Compressor
    201/401/401B phasors [great clones of the mxr phase 45/90]
    440 envelope filter
    FX-45 stereo reverb [not really a reverb,but a cool effect non the less!]
    Performer 585 Analog delay [18v] low-fi oscilation at its very best!
    Performer 545 A Wah filter [18v]

Sadly,only the FX80B remains.:cry:

8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    The DOD Classic Fuzz has been my sparkly midnight pumpkin for over 20 years...from bees in a can , '60s biker flick fuzz to nice round "gimme Shelter" thump, I've really enjoyed this major sleeper on the fuzz circuit.

dod classic fuzz.jpg

czech-one-2 likes this.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

10. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2009
    Russia, St.-Petersburg
    +1 on Classic fuzz. From mellow to big muff, but with more mids and breath for me. Works with bass too.

11. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada/venise-en-quebec
    well me it's the FX 80-B as good as many high $$$$$$$ comp. out there.the trick to compressor is to find the right adjusment...lol

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I forgot, I also own the FX-50B and lime green FX25 filter too! I guess I'm a DOD fan.:D
    The FX-50B is a very clear/transparent overdrive capable of RAT type gain levels when cranked,but its a little noisy then.XLNT low gain overdrive though! :) Even better after removing the diodes and adding a pair in the feedback loop!

I just modded my FX25 envelope filter to have a little slower decay,more like a mutron or Q tron.Stock it has a very abrupt decay,and can be tricky to find the sweet spot.After the mod the RANGE pot is much more useable,but its still a bit tricky live. The slower decay helps though! Its just changing one polarized electrolytic cap,C7 on the schematic,from 15uf to 22uf. What a classic envelope filter! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I love the OD250 as well. It's one of the oldest, but it still rivals (or surpasses) much of what has come after it.

Also interesting that the OD250 is the foundation for so many other pedals, probably most notably the Voodoo Lab OD and OCD, since they both really serve to build some additional circuitry with the OD250 ends - the VLO adds another gain stage, and the OCD adds a tone control beyond that.

I think that DOD got it right with the name of theirs, even though it and the MXR Dist+ are basically the same thing. Neither is really a distortion pedal. But these are distinctions that are more important (or trend based) today.

I love many of the DOD designs from the 80's, but never did like 2 things:

1. The stomp mechanism

2. The 1/8" D.C. jack

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

15. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2008
    Brooklyn
    I couldn't agree more. I have no doubt that there are some $150 fuzz pedals that do things this does not, and I would love to own them too.

But my Classic Fuzz is the ONLY piece of gear that I've used consistently since I bought it when I was 14 years old. It was my first pedal, and until fairly recently, it was my only pedal.

I turn every knob all the way up, and it gives me that smooth, thick sustain, with some dangerous grit on the side. Kinda like a spoonful of molasses with some crushed glass mixed in.

Since getting my OCD, I've discovered that the FX52 up all the way, into the OCD gives me the same qualities, plus the richer harmonic overtones.

16. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    woodstock, ny
    Love this old 2 second Delay and looper! It's digital, but not gritty and harsh like the old boss DD's (sounds a lot like my Delta Labs Effectron Rack unit). Bill Frisell still uses these often in his live rig along with the LIne 6 Delay Modeler, since these allow you to manually tweak the loop speed/pitch with the rate knob, and you can then quickly do little overdubs to get some interesting things happening. Got this one for $5 on the street in Brooklyn, 'cause they couldn't confirm that it worked. It does! Just learned that it's supposed to use a 10v adapter, I've been using a 9v with good results...

Attached Files:

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    That was my first delay! (many years ago). A friend gave it to me (he found it used in a shop) and I used it for slapback- I fried it somehow...It had a great warm sound

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    DOD 250 - $35 + $3.60 shipping - Linky

[​IMG]

I've been interested in the 250 Reissue and I just stumbled on this deal. I ordered one.

I am trying to save up for a MHP 72 Degree box.......can we just stop talking about overdrives until my stupid POD and Boss FDR-1 sell on eBay?

:eek:

I love this place and I have no will power when I see a deal.

I will be placing an order Keith.

:cool:

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    If you ever want a very tweakable Univibe sort of pedal....the old Vibrothang is killer.

[​IMG]

I found one of these on eBay (cheap) and the trem/vibe settings are delightful.

Funky pedal. Lots of color.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I would jump on that as well. Almost funny - I put my (personal build) OD 250 (with slight tweaks) in an old DOD enclosure from the 80's, and painted it yellow, as well. Same style knobs and everything. :)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.