Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

favorite band: is it even possible?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Apr 6, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    10 Buddy Holly and the Crickets
    15 The Ventures
    17 The Beatles /Stones/DC5
    22 CCR
    23 CSN&Y
    25 Rod Stewart and the Faces, Mott the Hoople, The Who
    30 Queen
    61 The Mavericks
    70 The Beatles, John Fogerty

acrylicsuperman likes this.

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    For me, I went through different phases. As a Millennial, I actually couldn't really get into my generations music (still can't). I'll give you a list of bands I was grooving to at certain ages. They changed often.

13: Green Day
    14: System of a Down
    15: Lynyrd Skynyrd
    16. Metallica
    17. Nirvana
    18. The Doors
    19. The White Stripes
    20. Alice in Chains
    21. Iron Maiden
    22. Johnny Cash
    23. Saliva
    24. Megadeth
    25. Kenny Wayne Shepherd
    26. Phil X and the Drills
    27. Blood Red Shoes
    28. Dorje

3. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Sheffield
    My favourite band has always been Meat Loaf. He's got a song for every mood, and I love listening to how his voice has changed over time (even on the last few albums, where it's all but shot). Despite him being my favourite, I don't listen to his records all too often - I listen to more Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Larkin Poe and Volbeat, all of whom are vying for that top spot of "favourite band".

thunderbyrd likes this.

4. Rbriggs82

Rbriggs82 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Summerville, SC
    I'm not sure what exact years but in order it went...

Nirvana
    The offspring
    Eve6
    Everclear
    Led Zeppelin
    Dave Matthews Band from 2000 to present

5. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    Reseda ca
    I always end up listening to the " Greatful Dead" or the "Rolling Stones" been a Stones fan since I was 12.Oh than there is "Humble Pie",Live At The Fillmore kills me.The bass lines are something to behold.So many bands.....

6. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2010
    Rialto, CA. USA
    I'll play along, I was born in 1964 and grew up in a musical family, with an older brother and an older sister who both contributed albums and 45's for my listening pleasure. I always spent my allowance on 45's or hot wheels from K-Mart...plastic models after I was 12. I'm guessing a little bit here but I'm going by what is in my collection and what I remember based on school grade.
    67-69 (3-5) the Beatles (my brothers albums and 45's)
    70 (6) the Monkees (my sisters albums)
    71 (7) top 40 45's and the Partridge family
    72-73 (8-9) the Beatles (the red and blue albums)
    74 (10) the Beach Boys (Endless Summer)
    75 (11) Elton John and America
    76-78 (12-14) KISS and Queen
    79 (15) Aerosmith, Tom Petty and The Cars
    80 (16) Thin Lizzy and UFO
    81 (17) the Babys, Pat Benatar, the Eagles
    82-83 (18-19) the Rolling Stones and the Clash
    84-90 (20-26) Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones and Bruce aspringsteen

The Rolling Stones remain my all time favorite band

I need to add several others: Elvis Costello, Marshall Crenshaw, Nick Lowe, David Lindley, Dwight Yoakam, The Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows and many others

7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Constantly revolving, but these are the chronic front runners:

The Jam
    The Who
    Crowded House
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Kinks

8. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    10-15 Beatles
    16-30 Springsteen
    31-40 Vigilantes of Love
    45-Present Stones/Muddy/BB/Clapton

But on any given day Buddy Holly or the Who could dethrone any of them.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There is sooooooo damn much great music in the world, and I've loved so much of it over the years, that it's kind of crazy to even attempt this. There have been times when I was waaaaay more into the Dead and Springsteen (and Richard Thompson, Hendrix, Muddy, Coltrane, etc), but the band that I loved when I was seven or eight years old, still love today, and have NEVER stopped listening to a LOT over the past 50 years is the Stones.

Through the Past Darkly was the the first album I ever bought as a kid (got that and Hey Jude and Iron Butterfly Heavy - no, NOT Inna Gaddda Davida - all at the same time). And if I had to pick a desert island album (what the hell's a desert island - aren't they all surrounded by water?) it'd be Exile and it wouldn't be a tough call. I've seen the Dead and Springsteen live way more often than I've seen the Stones, and their best shows were better than I ever saw the Stones (maybe if I'd seen em with Mick instead of just with Ronnie?). But over the years, the Stones have always had just the right mix of all the ingredients I love about great music and they've NEVER been anywhere but the top of the heap. Blues and rock have always been my favorite forms of music and the Stones pretty much invented AND perfected the combination of blues and rock and nobody ever did it better...

So I gotta go with the Stones.

-Ray

10. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    12- Kiss
    15- Motley Crue
    17- Van Halen
    18- Stone Temple Pilots
    23- Van Halen
    26- Alan Jackson
    30- Rolling Stones
    35- Clapton
    40-James Taylor
    42- Rolling Stones
    Loved this idea. It made me think what was I listening to during a specific time of my life. This was really tough. It seems the older I get, the older my favorites get. Is there anyone older than the Stones and how do they get a dead guy to play the guitar?

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The long list is too long to put in order, but I do recall hearing Santana as a teen and thinking this band is perfect why has nobody figured out that you need lots of great percussion and a bass player that actually plays music and guitar that's actually interesting and...

Short list:

Late Coltrane with Elvin and McCoy- listened more than any other recordings
    The Band- made me want to play music, knew the words and daily sang all the songs by age 7. On through their great work with that curly haired singer.

If I keep going there's no way to stop

I did think the White Stripes were the most useful band in decades.
    Didn't really change things much though...

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I can't pin it down. I've discarded a lot to get to the following five.

Motorhead. The band I've been to see the most times over the years
    The Band. Possibly the best band ever.
    Wilko era Dr Feelgood
    The Blockheads, both with and without Ian
    The Clash

I loved heavy metal/heavy rock, but became utterly disenfranchised from it with the advent of poodle rock. I hated the hairspray years. I despised the silk scarf tied around the leg motif and longed for a simpler time of pounding riffs minus mascara.

Grunge interested me, as did Desert Rock. I thought Kyuss were the bogs dollox at the time and still enjoy their CD's every now and then.
    From my earliest memories, I've liked Johnny Kidd and The Pirates. I've passed through punk, and retained an appreciation of X-Ray Spex and Poly Styrene, The Sex Pistols, The Stranglers, The Dead Kennedys and a few others. I no longer listen to most of the rest though. I fell in love with Blondie, and was considered weird for loving bands like Black Sabbath, UFO, Hawkwind and Blondie at the same time. Such is tribalism. The long haired greaser look was at odds with it apparently. Little did my detractors know of my outright adoration for Gershwin and Glenn Miller either.

Like telemnemonics, if I keep going, I won't stop.

Oh, go on then. Jeff beck, Rory Gallagher and The Wilko Johnson Band too. I'll stop now.

13. Frenchie63

Frenchie63 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2017
    North Wales
    At the age of 5 I heard "Hey Jude" and loved the Beatles.

From 9-11 it was Slade.

When punk hit in 76/77, and I was 14/15 I went back to the Beatles.

At 19 I got into XTC in a big way along with Squeeze.

At 31 in 94 it was Crowded House.

Now XTC, Squeeze, Beatles and Crowded House.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.