Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fat tone - is a classic Player Jazzmaster the answer?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by swampyankee, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Top of a traditional style JM pickup with A5 rod magnets IMG_4863.JPG top of the CPJM pickup with screw pole pieces IMG_4864.JPG bottom of the CPJM with bar magnets, unknown if alnico or ceramic IMG_4865.JPG side view of traditional JM pickup IMG_4867.JPG side view of the CPJM(quite a bit deeper than traditional JM) IMG_4866.JPG The mustang 90 would be a good bet. The classic player jazzmaster pickups are fairly p90 like, but aren't actually p90s. I think they fall somewhere in between. I'm of the mind that the jazzmaster is actually a rather bright sounding guitar, with the rhythm section engaged it gets VERY dark. But the bridge pickup is one of the brightest I've run across personally. That said: I fell in love with the CPJM the first time I played it. I kick around putting the original pickups back in it all the time.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    those CPJM pickups really are just P90s in disguise looking at @Danjabellza's pics, similar coil dimensions and identical magnet layout and those mags are alnico. I think if the OP wants a fatter single coil tone P90s are the answer and fender has a few good options at the moment which is good if you don't like to mess around with modifications.

Danjabellza likes this.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Neck PU of both Jazzmaster & Jaguar can get pretty "round" , check out some of theYou Tube vids of Joe Pass playing offsets & compare it to his 175 tone, the Gibby is actually a bit brighter (I put some of that down to the recordings) but having owned a CP Jag, it can nail that Syanaon era sound no problem.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Hah! I GAS'd for a TC-90 several years ago but never pulled the trigger. It would've been my version of a LP Special. I built an Esquire instead.
    But I've always dug an offset guitar and a Jazzmaster with more P90 pickups would seem to check all the boxes.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    a mustang 90 is a p90 equipped offset ;)

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'm so confused.

A Jazzmaster with stock vintage spec pickups is one of the brightest guitars around, IME. Including as neck pickups go.

We all hear things differently I guess.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

7. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I'm with u MilwMark- vintage JM pickups are quite bright but not as bright as vintage Jaguar pickups imo. But CP and J Mascis P90-ish pickups are loved by folks like me because they are more balanced and not too bright. But everyone has their own taste.

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I'm still kicking the whole CP JM idea around. My biggest struggle is, I can't really justify another guitar, and I don't want to part with any of the current herd....but I'd really love a P90 guitar....

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Jazzmasters are bright because I think they have 1 meg pots, not sure about the classic player- check out a humbucker guitar if you have not done so-that bridge pickup of a Gibson kills

10. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Try one, then think on it. Maybe the GAS fades , maybe not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.