Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fat tone - is a classic Player Jazzmaster the answer?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by swampyankee, Sep 20, 2017.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Looking for a fatter tone than my MIM Strat, hotter than my Am Std Tele. Brighter than my Gretsch Thinking or Starcaster MP. I'm a Fender guy, but like P90 ish fat tones as well. I've been looking at the CP Jazzmaster. I play mostly clean, 60s RnR. Do they cover the spectrum I'm looking for?

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Try a G&L ASAT Special with MFD pickups

cnlbb, drf64 and viccortes285 like this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Brighter than Gretsch!!!!!! Have you lost all your upper-freq hearing already? 'Bright' and 'Jazzmaster' are not usually considered to be in the same Lexicon.

4. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    For fatter tones switch to Humbuckers PUs.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    The J Mascis JM has more p90 like pickups in it. I have a hankerin' for it

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I have a CP JM. I think the answer is yes to all your questions. Punch of P90s but brighter and clearer.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Have you played a Jazzmaster??
    My Thinskin Jazzmaster is plenty bright. And that's after swapping out the 1M pots for 250K.

It also ticks most of those boxes for the OP.
    While the Jazzmaster pickups are NOT P90's, they do have a fatter tone than most Strats and will be hotter than "standard" single-coil Tele's.
    "Bright and clear" is a good tonal summary.

You do lose a little sustain with a JM, but that's the nature of the beast.

Love my Jazzmaster.

MilwMark likes this.

8. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    +1 I also have CP Jazzmaster and the pickups have adjustable screw poll pieces with a magnet underneath like a P 90. Definatly a fuller sound then the typical Fender single coil. The fact that they moved the whammy bar closer to bridge combined with a tuneomatic bridge makes for a much more stable guitar. I have 35 guitars, Gibsons, American Fenders, American PRS, etc and I highly recommend this made in Mexico guitar. It is one of my all time favorites.

9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Came here to post this. I own one. Very punchy. Fat enough tone for Dinosaur Jr, probably fat enough for your needs as well.

ndeli55 likes this.

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I should explain - My "Gretsch" is one of the MIK Historic Series orphaned when Fender took control ca. 2002. It has Dearmond 2K pickups - a darker version of the 2000's. It can be bright, but still in a very semi-hollow way.

11. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Compared to a Strat or Tele? Full, but not bright - maybe the old Japanese pickups that are really a tall Strat coil but not wide flat Jazzmaster pickups.

Owned two MIJ/CIJ, a Dot and Block .Pickups in both replaced with trad forbon Jazzmasters. One with custom wind Offset Guitars and one with US Vintage pickups. Both I'd describe as warm and middy.

Bright - big no. Nowhere near Strat or Tele singles. Not sure what the Thinskin pickups are - some sort of hummers?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    you could modify a guitar you currently own, I just put some P90s in my strat, I get all the single coil clarity but with more output. No harm trying out the JM first but modifying a guitar would be the more affordable option and should give you more tonal options.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Did you try heavier strings and pickup height if you wanna do something cheepy cheep

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I love Dynasonic 2ks. I would say my Gretsch 5127 and my DeArmond M75T, both with Dynasonics, sound wonderful.

I don't think the MIM CP JM pickups sound "better". They have a slightly different character but in many ways are fairly similar.
    But I really like the sound of the modern Dynasonics so I might keep those guitars over the MIM CP JM if I had to choose.

But JMs are very cool
    in their own right, and I love the guitar, and its stock pickups. In other words, if you are tone hunting then the idea of
    trying different pickups is a pretty good one. But if you are in the market for a JM, the MIM CP JM is a really nice model, although
    others prefer other JM models. But it's worth a close look if you're in the market for a JM. I think it sounds and plays fantastic
    100% stock, no mods needed.

15. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I find Jazzmasters to be too clean and thin even through a lot of gain. I also wanted a fatter tone than my teles so I have a G&L ASAT Jr. with P90s, Epiphone Les Paul 1956 reissue with P90’s and a Gretsch. I play lots of styles and these are all great. I have another Les Paul with humbuckers but it’s almost too much sometimes. The P90 is the way to go while still retaining clarity.

Piggy Stu likes this.

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I have a Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge position of my Strat and it took the sound from bright to fat and dark-ish but still with plenty of "cut"--for me, a great lead sound for rock. Might work for you ; if not there are a lot of other single coil-sized humbuckers out there that should do what you're looking for.

17. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

cntry666-- traditional, vintage JMs can be the way you describe-- that's why the MIM and J Mascis JMs have pickups built to JM dimensions but made like a P90 with steel adjustable pole pieces and a bar magnet underneath, rather than individual alnico rod magnets. They sound closer to a P90 than a JM pickup, but still have a bit of JM pickup character due to their dimensions.

18. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    "Thinskin" Jazzmasters (and Jaguars) were a run of, essentially "vintage American" guitars, that Fender did a few years ago. Vintage-spec'd pickups that were fairly accurate recreations of the originals. I think they're probably the same thing that Fender sells as they "US Vintage" model.
    And with the stock 1M pots, it was a bright guitar.

Listen to those old surf recordings from the 60's and you'll hear it.

And as I said, I replaced those pots with 250K, and it's still got a very clear and bright tone - all in a good way. :)
    Definitely has that midrange punch, but that crystal clear top end is there, too.

MilwMark likes this.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I have a TVL JM. It is plenty bright. There is no denying the Fender sound. In a country band I use that and a Tele kind of interchangeably. My only gripe with the JM is that it is heavy. That may have more to do with the model than the beast as a whole. I love the vibrato. Very Bigsby-like. I still may spring for a Mastery Bridge, but all in all a great guitar.

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    The JA-90 is the Fender that would probably fill your niche the best of the currently available models:

[​IMG]

I happen to use an LP Special w/P90s to scratch that particular itch, because I didn't get a TC-90 when they were available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.