Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fans of the Godin 5th Avenue will be excited to see this...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by androo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    lol i got rid of a couple so i had the money.

i will post a pic when it gets here and i install the bigsby.

it will be for sale if it makes me look fat!

2. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I can tell you that the burst looks every bit as fabulous in person as it does in the pic, above. If not more so. I expect the natural will too.

3. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago

scary thing is, i got the money...i could pull the trigger right now...but i shouldn't...

i'm getting near the point of too many guitars in the house. too many going unplayed...but this godin is really making me want to make room for one more...must resist the GAS and go play....must resist the GAS and go play...:D

4. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2007
    Montreal
    You dont pay duty but you do (sometimes) pay taxes. 2 out 3 orders (from Weber or AES for example) I have to pay taxes. 15% (same as if I bought it in a store) + 8$ brokerage fee. That is fine with me.

If it is FedEx (actually Weber uses FedEx) it is Taxes + 10$ brokerage. Again that is ok.

Order from Mojo and they shipped UPS. Value? 64$ US. Taxes? 8$. Brokerage fee? 35$!!!! So that 60$ order cost a total of 120$ after shipping. I am very careful who I order from now.. make sure they ship USPS.

Oh.. and as for the Kingpin? Nice.. I have only tried them in store and they never have 14 flatwounds on them so I am not blown away yet. Would love to see a neck only pickup version (basically the original with a cutaway).

5. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    hmmmm

that volume knob might be in the way of a bigsby....

apparently i need the B6.

6. jazztele

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    well, i am a weak man...found a non-cut single P90 kingpin for $500 and i bit...gonna sell a few things I don't really use ever and should break close to even--this is how i rationalized it to the wife! should arrive next week. yes, I'll post pics then...

list is like $700 on those, they're all over ebay for under 600, some under 550 like I found...just thought I'd bring a few of you down with me... good think i don't need that second pickup, or i might have been dipping into next year's vacation money--pheew!;)

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I am totally aware of the difference between "want" and "need".
    I need one of those.

8. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    mine arrived today. it exceeds my expectations. came with big ass wound third strings that i am kinda digging.

the binding and script on it is all cream so i might change out the knobs for gold ones and remove the pickguard and add one of those cream/gold Gibson thingys under the pickup selector switch to enhance the vibe when i put the bigsby on it tomorrow.

it sounds terrific. i will post pics.

charlie i am gonna visit my parents in boyertown this weekend if you would like to try mine out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009

9. jazztele

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    before and after pics, please.

my single P90 kingpin will arrive next week. I'm pumped.

10. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    i already posted the before, that's the guitar they shipped me that i posted earlier in the thread.

it is definitely a jazz guitar with it's own sound.

mine sings acoustically and plugged in it knocked my socks off right out of the box. sound reminds me of a Switchmaster a ton.

it's a deep guitar so high volumes would definitely be a problem.
    i am glad i ordered the B60 Bigsby!

i don't even care if it does make me look fat!

11. P-Zilla

P-Zilla Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2006
    North of The Wall
    I want one so I can do my best Nugent impression.

12. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    Here she is! Miss 5th Ave.!

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER (excuse poor photos)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Ouch. I plan on taking a drive through Ontario along the lakeshore within the next few days, too. I wonder if they're easy to find there and how much they'd be.

14. androo

androo Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Nice pics!

Hey, I've been gigging my non-cut 5th Avenue (I installed this P-90 to the guard), and I've been loving the tone! I run it through a SFPR, and it is just what I want to hear :) Small restaurant, upright bass & guitar...jazz/funk/folk. Great guitar for this setting.

If any of you are still shopping around for strings on this guitar, I've settled on D'addarrio Flat Tops.

They're PB roundwounds that have been polished flat & smooth. I tried TI flats before these...and I decided I love the acoustic "zing" I'm getting from the Flat Tops. Check 'em out if your shopping for strings to match this interesting archtop.

droo

15. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Canada
    Had a burst one come in locally on spec. I was disappointed but financially relieved that I couldn't bond with it. It is a great guitar though. My take on it was that it felt more acoustic than electric when I played it. I was tempted but only went "Cool" when I played it and not "Yeah it is one to buy!".
    I loved it's sound and tones through a princeton reverbri when I was trialling it.

16. jazztele

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    thought i'd post this here, since mine has arrived....some of you might have already seen this on jazzguitar.be, so ignore, unless you like the way i write;)

mine arrived tuesday--it seems really well made. nothing at all seems chintzy or second rate. it's a looker, the satin finish is gorgeous, that the cognac burst is prettier in person than photos show. mine has a really nice grain pattern on the top...the headstock is painted gloss black, with a little strip of unpainted wood that serves as headstock "binding." i hadn't noticed that before...it looks lovely...and the faux tortoise is really nice, it even has a little "irridescence" to it...still, it's also kind of a no frills, workman's archtop, which i think really draws me in, being a simple telecaster fanatic (as you all know)

i strung it up right away with flatwounds, .11 gauge. My first impression is that i'll probably end up with at least .12's on here (shorter scale than what i'm used to, so less string tension) the guitar plays remarkably easy, and is actually the first instrument i've ever bought that needed no setup work whatsoever. intonates as perfectly as a floating bridge with non-indivdually adjustable saddles can. Action was almost too low for me, but it presented no issues as far as buzzing, so i left it, and now a day later i'm adjusted to how easy it plays.

unplugged the sound is pretty much what you'd expect from a smaller bodied archtop-- no too much volume, but the notes just SNAP right out at you. i could definitely see how some folks would put acoustic strings on the non-pickup version and go all freddie green. With the volume rolled back, i can do a passable imitation of herb ellis' unamplified comping that he did with oscar peterson so often.

plugged in, it's a very old fashioned, old school sound. like barney kessel's early volumes on prestige, or that trio record jim hall made back in the fifties with the guitar, piano, bass lineup. played with my thumb, i can even get a little wes action, but overall, the sound is brighter. even plugged in and turned up, it retains most of the characteristics it had unplugged-- quick attack (and decay) and a real defined "snap" to each note. The volume and tone controls are very usable, and roling a little volume off darkens the sound ever so slightly without turning anything "muddy." Seems like this guitar really loves a tube amp--kinda compliments it's old school sound the most, however, i got good results thru my zt lunchbox with the redstone extension cab as well. it was almost too bassy thru the polytone, I'll have to retry that with a different EQ setting than usual...

I'll take some pics tomorrow and finish up by posting those here too. I've got to wait a bit to make a truly unbiased review, but so far it seems, in the realm of budget archtops, this one is really in a class above anything epiphone or ibanez. I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems saying goodbye to my Emperor Regent.

17. androo

androo Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Nice review jazztele :)

I wholeheartedly agree with your point on the quick, snappy attack and nice quick decay. I love that about this guitar. Very precise, easy to comp chords without getting muddied up, and a nice neck to slip around on. I'm running 12's, but I took the flats off for some "flat tops". Works well with a pickup. Kinda gives the best of both worlds. Acoustic zing, flatwound slide ;)

18. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    As pretty as that 2 pup version is, it seems like the neck pup would get the most use anyway and the single pup version is only $595 at the local mom&pop shop. They have 3 colors to choose from. Tempting.

19. jazztele

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    ben, just so you know, i found mine on ebay for 500 even. it was a guy with a small store in canada.

i think some small places might be trying to move them now that the two pup cutaway version is coming out...

i'm playing it in my classroom right now (we have block schedules, so lucky me gets first period "lunch" on fridays) and i'm still loving it. gonna try it out with our school jazz combo this afternoon.

they're a good deal at 700, and a steal at 500. made as nice as any american made regular production fender i've ever picked up.

20. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    i agree. i went with the 2pup for the cutaway. but now that i have it, it's a pretty good rockabilly sound with both pups on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.