Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fans of the Godin 5th Avenue will be excited to see this...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by androo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    It's in Canada, so US buyers need to be aware of customs issues.

2. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Can you not read, or are you just making stuff up:

From the 12th Fret ad:

Shipping to the U.S.A. : There are no taxes charged and no duty at the border for North American made products

3. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    i am holding out for a natural one, but 799 and i am done!

i am going to start looking for the bigsby right now.

4. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2008
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    I can't get over the prices for these instruments!! See, you don't have to build everything in China in order to be affordable. :D

5. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    +1

6. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2008
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    AMEN, Joe!! I can't get over the number of people who have NO CLUE about the Ronald Reagan - Brian Mulroney free trade deal from over 20 years ago!!

Shipping is seamless, easy, USPS and Canada Post are completely integrated.

It's so simple it's not even funny. Sometimes I think it's simpler and easier to ship from Iowa to Newfoundland than it is from NY to NJ or ON to NB!!

7. tiktok

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Well, you know, many of us Americans are ignorant and all...

I seem to recall a bunch of Canadian complaints on this board regarding ordering parts from the US and getting hit with customs charges and assumed that it worked the other way too.

I'm also curious as to why the US Border control always wants to know what I've purchased, if anything, in Vancouver when I'm coming back home.

8. Dookychase

Dookychase Tele-Meister

May 16, 2005
    Near New Orleans
    Several years ago I met the sales rep for Godin at a music store in New Orleans.
    I started speaking French with him and he asked if I was interested in perhaps coming to work for them. They were looking for someone who could speak French to to work the area here in south Louisiana.

Man, I could be getting great discounts.

9. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville

10. metropolis74

metropolis74 Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2007
    Minnesoter
    Can anyone here with photo manipulation talent slap a Bigsby on this pic? I'm curious how it would look.

11. Milone

Milone Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2008
    Canada
    OMG I want this guitar....with the cutaway and the two pick ups...this just might be the cure to my "I can't afford a Gibson 355" affliction....for now anyways..lol

12. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    That looks damn sweet to me. MMMMMM trans red ... p90s .... big body. What's not to like? OK so the cutaway is a bit meh ... but for the $$$? Geez, it's a no brainer. Which works for me, I'm pretty sure I'm a no brainer :p

13. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Oh man, that is beautiful!

14. androo

androo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 8, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm not sure I'm loving the looks of that cutaway either....something looks odd about it. I wish it was more of a florentine. Ahhhh, who am I kidding...if I hadn't already put a p-90 in my 5th Avenue, I'd be all over it too :)

15. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Ya know, I just happened to play one of those last night (briefly and unplugged). gotta say....didn't really like it. Sounded kinda cardboard-y unplugged. Now, may be a completely different animal plugged in. Love to know, because it was BE-youtiful.

16. tiktok

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    It's a plywood guitar, it's not meant to really be enjoyed acoustically.

17. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    i hope i'm not assuming anything, but have you played a lot of archtop acoustics? the sound is kinda midrangey and nasal--it's not a dreadnaught, for sure. this particular model, having both the cutaway and two routed pups will definitely be the least "acoustically viable" of the bunch, but i have played a non-pup 5th ave. and it sounded just like an archtop to me. Actually, a pretty decent one at that.

but this baby is an electric guitar thru and thru...kind of a poor man's ES-175. with a solid wood top, is that correct?

i am really hoping some cats start ditching their non-cutaway kingpins for this baby, cuz i'll be on that in a heartbeat...i also hope goin would consider a single pickup cutaway model too. I would not be able to resist that even at full price!

18. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

My jazz box experience is quite limited, but I've played a few. I've been pleasantly surprised, believe it or not, by some Epiphone's, for example the Joe Pass. So no, I'm no expert, but based on my limited experience i thouigh it was somewhat lacking. But you're right, it's an electric guitar and I guess I shouldn't jump to judgement without more consideration. I do think though, that you can tell something useful of a guitar by it's unplugged sound.

19. mickeydean

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    here it is!

should arrive next week! looking for a bigsby right now.
    JohnK24 thanks for the heads up!

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    oh, i definitely agree that that is often the case--my only point was that an archtop acoustic is a pretty different sound in the first place.

mickeydean, you are the friggin' devil. i'm almost at the point of considering getting rid of a guitar or two to make room for this beauty...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.