Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fancy fretboard/side markers

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jackadder, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Side dots are where the action is, but man, are they boring! Doing a neck at the moment with brass tubes filled with ebony dust which are a little fancier, but still fairly ho-hum....

brass-dots.jpg

I like the idea of a marker on the leading edge of the fretboard which covers front and side, sort of like these:

20110412-Gettemeyer-Guitar-03.jpg rgxtt_12.jpg

When making a neck I usually glue a radiused but untapered fretboard onto a neck blank, then bandsaw and sand to width. Been thinking to drill down along/through the edge at the usual spots and glue in a contrasting dowel which, when the neck taper is cut, would leave a half-moon on the fretboard top edge extending down the side.....

IMG_6678.jpg

I'm sure I saw on the internet somewhere a neck that featured this very design, but buggered if I can find it again. I've got plenty of scrap (plenty!) so will have a crack and see how it works out.

Has anyone done this design before, or got any other fancy side marker suggestions?

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    I gotta say I really like the two sidemarkers :) The first one is nicer, but could do with the double marker on the 12th.

3. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Yep, that first one is beaut, so clean....

Well, heres a 13mm dowel - looks ok size for the fretboard, but way too wide down the side. Will try a smaller dowel, and some kind of contrasting insert on the side, similar to pic 2 above. The dowels would, of course, need to get smaller as they went up the fretboard.....

IMG_6852.jpg

Hmmm, might look less silly with a proper neck profile, rather than this tree branch....

IMG_6854.jpg

No, not really......

IMG_6854x.jpg

Those brass side dots are looking better all the time....

4. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Don't take the dowel so deep, maybe stop at the depth of the fretboard.

Check out the fret markers on billy sheehan's bass. Interesting

I like the side dots that are visible from the front.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I am going to totally disagree with you. Side dots and fret markers serve a purpose. To let you know where the heck your hands are on the fretboard. I like them plain and only needed at the spots Fender put them at. Gibson waste a lot of time on this and that adds to the cost, by them, to you ( think Les Paul Jr).
    Who needs, I mean NEEDS, neck binding and fancy neck patterns? Why ? Is it an ego thing , an art thing or what. IMHO as long as a guitar serves functionality, sound , etc. good .The rest is a matter of choice. One should be free to buy a Martin D-45 without all the BS, it's the guitar that counts, not the flamboyant additions.

Rock-Ola likes this.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    P.S. I do not want to seem rude. My point is keep them minimalistic and they'll do the job.
    Simply put : I can live with boring, you seem to not. That's freedom of choice. Your choice for your guitar.:)

7. rigid650

rigid650 TDPRI Member

If you were to drill the hole for the fretmarker at a 45 degree angle, you would almost have the same shape top and side....

also, for fancy markers, look at knife scale pins, same concept as your brass tube, but addition of smaller tubes of different shapes/sizes inside, like these:

https://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/24.htm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    RogerC likes this.

8. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    I'm loving those brass/ebony dots. Like, a lot.

Would it be okay with you if I stole that idea for a future build?

9. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Near sighted guitarist could/would find the larger markers easier to see.

10. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I like the 13mm dowel

I know NOTHING about building, but... Any way to do it with a tapered dowel, so when you trim and radius it, it would come to a point on the edge?

11. Nob Boss

Nob Boss TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Toronto
    I don't think adding more wood pieces to the neck is very smart or structural

Plus it looks stupid

12. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

What a bold statement.

Plus it sounds not necessarily well thought through.

Crafty Fox, RogerC and nosmo like this.

13. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Not being a builder, I can't answer definitively regarding the structural outcomes but, as a layman, I doubt the use as fret markers in those positions would do much to negatively affect the integrity.

And I actually like the aesthetic.

I also wonder if, way back, there was some guy saying, "Man, those black keys on the keyboard just look stupid."

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Remember... it does not matter how cool they look in the light if you can't see them on a dark stage...

Bendyha, koolaide and Doug 54 like this.

16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hmm. Nice way to come onto a forum and make an intelligent statement..

Crafty Fox likes this.

17. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    I stole them from someone else, but be my guest ;)

They came up alright on this Blackwood/Wandoo neck.

IMG_6978.jpg

Also using them on this Vic Ash/Rosewood neck, and I jammed 3mm white MOP dots into them, sealed with some thin CA....

IMG_6984.jpg

What I like about the brass tube dots is how at certain angles the black 'core' stands out but at others the brass circle shines....

18. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Thanks for all the suggestions....and comments....will continue with the refinements.

19. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Look Mom, some other utterly useless side dot version made by Tao Guitars. Them Europeans have way too much in their hands!

[​IMG]

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My beater Harmony needed side dots, so I painted them on with White-Out™.

They get worn off and I dab on some more White-Out.

I have some scraps of mammoth ivory, am thinking of making side dots with that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.