Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Famous Guitarists That Turned me on to Telecasters!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleOrLes, Jun 15, 2017.

1. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    Prince
    Roy Buchanan
    Albert Collins

8barlouie likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    To be honest I was transfixed by Strat players. There was, to me, something "weak" about the headstock of a Tele. Then I ended up with a Tele. My appreciation of Tele players is reverse engineered, I discovered (and continue to discover) great Tele players through that first Telecaster in 1977.

8barlouie likes this.
  3. MadRocker

MadRocker TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Finland
    No famous artists for my Tele love.

I bought a Squier Affinity Tele over ten years ago, because it was cheap. I've loved Teles ever since. And I still got that Affinity too!

Nowdays my primary guitars are 2004 Am. Std Tele and my new TeleMaster.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Me too. I got a Tele because I liked the fretboard, then I started hearing about people like Roy Buchanan.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    When Richmond Fontaine became my favourite band and Dan Eccles complimented the pedal steel in that band in the most musically and tonally perfect way, I needed to see them live. During their years together I saw them play more times than I can count and That Sound for me is the most glorious and heavenly music I have heard. After years of rock music, Les Pauls and Marshall stacks, it was like growing up. I sought out my first Tele because of this, which was a Squire Affinity (stupidly good for the £89 it cost me as a used guitar in a local shop), which led on to me getting a CS Nocaster. The Dan Eccles tone is in the man himself, and his remains my favourite guitar tone.
    If there was no Dan Eccles, I wouldn't yet have discovered the heart-rending tone of a Telecaster, what it can do, and why it is the guitar I relate to most.
    Dan Eccles is the greatest musician. All music, no ego. (His is a bog standard '62 RI, in case you were wondering)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    teleblueman and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I'm gassing hard for a Tele and I owe it all to Prince.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  8. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    The Telecaster seems inevitable. It's been Teles around every corner for me, and the guitar that I'm always drawn to.
    I’m a kid from New Jersey that grew up in the 70’s. Between those two factors,this is just what an electric guitar looks like:
    IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3087.JPG
    In high school, I got into Punk and was influenced by the Clash and the Pretenders among many others, but I gravitated towards the Tele because of the sound and image of those two bands.
    IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3083.JPG
    Somewhere among my posters of Debbie Harry, I had this GP cover pinned to my wall along with a Fender Telecaster add:
    IMG_3088.JPG
    By college, it was Post Punk. I loved the experimental sounds that Daniel Ash extracted from a Tele in Bauhaus and later with Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets as well as Will Sergeant’s somehow simultaneously abrasive and bell like Telecaster tones on the early Echo and the Bunnymen records.
    IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3084.JPG
    Later I started digging backwards into music that influenced the music I loved and was bowled over by Syd both on the first Floyd album and singles and solo.
    IMG_3085.JPG
    And who in the ‘80s could escape the monumental genius of this dude who, of course, played a Telecaster?!
    IMG_3086.JPG

mimmo likes this.
  9. Gib58

Gib58 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2007
    San Jose CA
    Terry Kath - Chicago when they rocked!

10. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    James Burton, my second guitar hero! (Les Paul was my first) Back in the day, I would sit through "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" waiting for the end of the show. Ricky would do his latest single backed by his band featuring James Burton. That's what made me want a Tele.

11. archetype

archetype Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Danny Gatton was an electrifying moment for me. He could make you buy a Tele so you could take it directly to the back yard to burn it.

tonytrout, Sjnoring and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    Oh my! TONE TO DIE FOR! A BIT OF TECHNIQUE TOO:)

13. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    US
    Always thought Telecasters were ugly as a youngster...and then I saw MUDDY!

Andy B likes this.
  14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Thanks for this, Rasher. Never heard of Richmond Fontaine before. I just spent the day enjoying his music and gritty stories. Good stuff! I expect to be spending tomorrow listening to him, too.

15. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    Fabulous that you are turned onto them. Seek out Contrails, Northline and Mule - just great songs. And Western Skyline just gets me every time.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    ukepicker likes this.
  16. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Bruce. I was 6 and looking at him has been like looking the light..

17. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    Growing up i always thought teles were for "country only". Boy was I wrong.

18. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Robert Quine. That guy knew how to terrorize a Telecaster. Even though most of his recorded work and videos feature him playing a Strat, by the latter part of his career he had switched to the Telecaster.

"Not only for country players", indeed.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  19. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    The people who influenced me to play the Tele probably aren't thought of as "traditional" Tele players. For me, the big three are Andy Summers, Joe Strummer, and Peter Buck.

IMG_1442.JPG

20. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    The main man that influenced me to play a Telecaster was and always will be, James Burton. After that, I heard about a little device called a StringBender and found out that Marty Stuart owned the original one which was, of course, previously owned by the legendary Clarence White. Ironically, James Burton "schooled" Clarence White in regards to playing electric guitars. Supposedly, when Clarence showed the B-bender to James the first time, James didn't (and still doesn't) like it because "it was a mechanical device made to do something that one could almost already do with their fretting hand" (or something to that effect.....I'd have to get out my newsletters from the James Burton International Fan Club and find the quote).

Those three guys are always at the top of my list of influences or making me want to mod my Tele with a bender. :)

21. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Keef, Muddy, Waylon, Iceman and Tab.

8barlouie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.