Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Famous Guitarist Playing A Guitar They Are Not Famous For Playing

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    No, not the shirt, he meant the hair! :p

2. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Larry has mostly been a strat and tele guy in most his career, though not always a Fender, but most often a Valley Arts Guitar superstrat and modified tele, too. I think there was actually a Larry Carlton model, if not more than one. He achieved great fame with the 335 and is called Mr. 335, but had a long career with solidbodies, most notably the Valley Arts guitar which probably helped that brand, but in most recent years got a great endorsement deal with Gibson who brought him back. Also Alex Lifeson, user of many types of guitars, was wooed back by them even though a ton of great Rush stuff was not done on any Gibsons. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

3. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Thats really something. Hendrix on bass? Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    The Parker Fly and Steinberger are both after Jimis death. Keep it real. Jimis on bass on "1983 a Merman I Shall Be" on Ladyland.

5. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. tinman402

tinman402 Tele-Meister

I love Knopfler on a Paul... If I could purchase any LES PAUL in the world I would be knocking on his door for this one...

His 58

7. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2011
    London
    Brian and Freddie with teles:

Attached Files:

8. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for that video. Nice hearing him with that gnarly tone instead of his typical glassy squak.

9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I have a picture somewhere of Gary Rossington playing a Squier. If I can find it I'll post it here.

10. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    Have you noticed the :D I put in front of the picture?
    Yeah, that surely is a shopped one. But the OP never said, it couldn't be.

But to live up to your expectations, here's something, I kept it real just for you :p:

[​IMG]

11. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Great creativity: that EVH would figure out a way to park a butt in the "headstock" of that wee guitar!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

12. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

When Eddie first got that guitar and either painted it himself or had Steinberger paint it, it was all over the music and guitar magazines. He sounded great with it and the special transtune(?) tremolo. Today, however, with all the traction he has had with his EVH and Wolfgang guitars, it's hard to remember that he was really into the small Steinberger. It wasn't any one time thing, and he used it quite a lot when he had it before his Peavey deal.

13. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    Especially, since the Steinberger GL series has no truss rod. The carbon-plastic one piece body and neck is moulded and it is so rigid it didn't need one. The pickups were mounted on a faceplate with all the controls.

So he actually had to drill into the neck to have a hole for his ciggie.

14. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary

The trem is called Trans-trem. It actually allows the player to lock the trem in one whole note above and under regular tuning. In regular tremolo mode it compensated for the uneven tension of different strings put on the whole mechanism, hence it kept the notes in tune. If you pushed the bar while handing an A chord it went down to G for example.

Once I read an interview with his roadie who was convienced that Eddie would still be playing it if it wasn't for his deals with EBMM Peavey and Fender.

15. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2010
    Liverpool, England
    That guitar looks really cool - very disorientating seeing John with it though!

It's mentioned on Wikipedia that John "at one point acquired a Nashville (double cutaway)" but not much more than that is to be found about it. I guess The Beatles were given loads of guitars all the time to be honest... I mean, how many Strats has Hendrix sold? How many Rics has Lennon & Harrison sold? How many Hofners has Paul sold? It was in any brand's interest for their product to be in the hands of an iconic.

16. taxer

taxer Banned

May 11, 2009
    new york
    It was never used on any Beatle recording.

Yes, The Beatles were given tons of gear to try out and use. This Gretsch was delivered to the boys during the recording of "Revolver." John monkeyed around with it, but I suppose he didn't care for it because it was never used by any him or any Beatle.

17. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    Was he touring with The Who in this photo? Check out the amp!

Attached Files:

18. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2007
    Switzerland
    Nah, Stones playing in the Hyde Park, July 5th, 1969. They used HiWatts a lot this time.

Btw: this guitar (a 1959 Flying V) was stolen during the recording of "Exile On Main St." in Nellcote, Southern France.

19. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Is this all evh?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.