Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Family and amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bjackcity, Dec 5, 2018.

1. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    Just get an amp with a headphone jack, probably modelling or solid state. Or get an Amplitube system and play through the computer. It's the only real solution.

I bought a Fender Champion 20 and a good set of AudioTechnica headphones for this purpose. I used the "65 Deluxe" patch for a clean platform, then ran my regular pedalboard into the amp and it sounded fine.

Even a 1W tube amp through a 6" speaker sounds "loud" to family trying to sleep in the next room.

bgmacaw likes this.
  2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Not playing guitar with an amp can cause family problems too. One must get their fix of playing music. Solution is some sort of compromise. Dime the amp about once a week and then be quiet for the rest of the week. It'll work out just fine.

Bjackcity likes this.
  3. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2006
    Franklin, Texas
  4. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    Agree 100% the kids love when I play. They want to be involved ,however it makes bedtime tough cause they wanna stay up and still play. They are both still young under 5. Plus I need me time.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  5. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Enough with all this already...For years I just went thru my Didgitech processor with some headphones..these older ones can be had pretty cheap. I've used the same one recording in Nashville when everyone was going straight into the board except drums. only thing anyone will hear is your pick hitting the string..issue over!!

6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    When I lived in an apartment, the other guitarist in my bad would come over sometimes after work with his amp and guitar for what we called "Silent Practice."

We'd turn our master volumes all the way down and use our line out or preamp out and run them into a mixing board. We added some vocal mics and sent the mix to headphones. The neighbors next door only heard us singing, which they didn't seem to mind. This worked great when we had parts to work out before a show.

It might not sound great, but it gets the job done.

7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    My kids like it when I play, too. Often they will request songs for me to play. My youngest likes to play with the knobs on my amp- he's just two and 'amplifier' is part of his vocabulary.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Bjackcity likes this.
  8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sage advice. My Katana 100 sounds great on the nano-watt setting. I have the Kat mini for the living room....

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    This goes from 36 to 18 to 5 to 1. To silent for recording

20180825_151325.jpg

10. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Y’all are freaking me out. I have a Marshall Plexi 4x12 and a ‘68 Twin Reverb in my basement and my wife is pregnant with our first child. Am I gonna have to make the worlds biggest compromise?!

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    No.
    Any amp can be turned down
    None of my amps sound bad turned down
    It's been many years since I lived in an apartment, so neighbors could be a problem, off course.
    Family should be used to hearing music from a different room in the house. Cant really see that being a problem, unless you crank it.
    When I'm at home, I usually just noodle unplugged

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The only time an (original-style) Champ or Princeton doesn't sound loud is when you're competing with a bassist and a drummer. Otherwise, you ain't getting "quiet" with those small amps (IME).

My wife says I'm a half-watt all the time. I don't understand, maybe it's because I'm kinda quiet.
    She said it weird, too...it almost sounds like she's saying, "Half-wit..."

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
  14. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You're not going to find a quiet tube amp. My quietest non-headphone solution is a Joyo American Sound pedal into a powered monitor speaker. It can get legitimately quiet and still reproduce a nice enough tone for me. But when the wife is sleeping, it's headphones or ampless (solid body only) for me.

bblumentritt likes this.
  15. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I build tube amps and never gig without one, and I play them at home. Even a 1W amp can be too loud if you're trying not to disturb people.

If I'm playing at night, not wanting to disturb other people, I use a DigiTech RP-150 and headphones. I may even plug it in to my PC.

16. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    No. The biggest compromise would be to having to sell them. The next biggest to never play them. Those are both unnecessary.

There are solutions to be able to turn your amps down: a volume pedal in the effects loop, attenuators, Master Volumes, etc.

You can even gently acclimate the new little one to noise will sleeping. It also helps to have some music or white noise playing to mask the sounds coming from the basement.

There are solutions. Some compromises may need to be made for a while, though.

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Get a modeler. They are a specific solution for this very problem.

Bob

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    They will gather dust since baby time and "Honey do's" will consume all of your free time.

The solution? Join a band so that you can make extra money (yeah, right)

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    [​IMG]

I own 10 medium to large amps. This one gets the most use at home with some headphones.

20. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    These are the types of threads I just don't get. I play my electrics at a low enough level that I can still listen to the TV while playing and it sounds fine to me.

I play upstairs in our story and a half house with the door closed and I doubt that my wife can even hear me playing while she watches TV just down the stairs in the living room. I'm sure my acoustics are louder than I ever play my electrics.

John How likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.