Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Family and amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bjackcity, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    Recently I’ve reached a crossroads in life, I own a 70’s 212 hd130 music man that hardly ever gets played along with a fender excelsior that gets played during daylight hours. Having children makes playing the excelsior at night almost impossible. Which has me torn, I love playing through that amp but I’m thinking of selling it and picking up a vibro-champ to be able to play at night time and still kinda keep the tube tone. Hoping the family crew can help here!! What’s your setups?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    even a vibro-champ makes a fair amount of racket when you get it up to playing volume. you could put a dirt pedal in front of it but I don't think you'd be all that much better off than putting a dirt pedal in front of the excelsior, honestly.

weird suggestion: if you're anywhere near a place that stocks 'em, try the Marshall Origin 20c on the half-watt setting. They say it's an attenuator rather than a master volume but I'm an English major so what do I know? but it does sound really good at living-room volume, and will scale up to cover practices & medium gigs at higher levels on the attenuator. plus it's really fun to play, in an irresponsible kind of way.

stevemc likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Just as two other options: The Orange Rocker 15 can be attenuated down to .5, 1, or 7 watts and the Vox AC15CH (head) can be attenuated down to 0.17 watts, 1.5 watts.

uriah1 and ahnadr like this.
  4. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    USA
    Keep what you have.

You can find really inexpensive SS amps that go to 0.5W like the Katana, or get a small 1W tube amp like the Blackstar HT-1R for evening playing.

5. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    Haha, I would like to still be able to get a little reckless and play small jam sessions. Something to check out for sure, never really played Marshall’s but I’m open to changes.

6. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Depends on how far away you can get the amp from the kids. If you are in the basement and they are on the second floor, you might get away with a tiny amp.

I've got a little old champ but it only does me so much good. Most of the time I use a great old Guild acoustic guitar that has low action all up the neck and strings that are just heavy enough to sound right (12 to 48 for this long scale axe). It is kind of hard to find a repairman who even understands that acoustics can have great low action. Usually what passes for an acoustic with great action is not what electric players want. The fretboard must have no humps or dips, the frets need to be filed carefully, and the saddle lowered individually on each string to the point where if you play much harder than normal the strings slap the frets. The point of this is: there is such a thing as an acoustic guitar that an electric player can enjoy. They are just rare.

All this is for my grandkids. My own kids learned how to sleep through anything. It was just what happened at our house, heck they could hear it before they were born.

richey88 likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Time to consider a modeling amp or unit unless you want to do a major and expensive home remodeling project to build a soundproof room.

8. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    Yeah I grew up with the volume on 10 but when you blend family’s some things change. Trying to find the right compromise can be difficult at times.

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    plexi.dsl, 5150iii,jcm900,class 5 ,Laney IRT60 into 4x12 angled..in my bedroom practice spot..why ?? i can keep my gig tone and 2..you can position a chair right between the cab and play at a level so low but 2 speakers carrying the sound low is like having headphones on. Always have the sound needed with out compromising tone at any level. The head of choice for studio or gig requirements comes right off the cab and onto the gig cabs. There is daughter and 2 grandkids here, never a problem and all practice is progressive towards gig or sessions without compromise..kids leave..i knock walls down..i went the fake amp route..the Boss gt100...di pedals into headphones..nothing will touch this as far as not compromising and wasting time ..i just cant see the ened for a "practice amp" when the real deal works just fine and you retain your sound..just turn MV to needed level 3 pk.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I agree with this. I have a $60 Mustang I in my den for late night playing and knocking around.

Keep your amps.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  11. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Uk
    Yamaha thr10c, best thing I've bought for late night guitar.

Try one, you'll be surprised.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    You don't need another amp, the Excelsior is not that loud, that speaker is. Just get one of those Vox 1x8" cabs and it'll be a lot less loud.

Dukex and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    Honestly that seems the way to go same amp just smaller speaker when needed at night.

14. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Oneida, NY
    Why not get a Fender Greta. 2 watts of awesome at full tilt through a 4” speaker. It sounds really good when hooked to a separate cab or used as a preamp. It can play music from your media device with the 1/8” jack in. Looks unique and retro. It’s in the same family as the excelsior. I got one a few years ago when my son was born. It works great for some low volume living room jams but it can still roar if you boost it.

My only other suggestion is a vox amplug if you need to plug in easy with headphones.

15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Maybe try modelling amp sounds on your computer (via garage band etc...) and use some good headphones?
    Definitely don't sell your amp yet. Dad bands happen!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Word is the Origins still don't really sing until you give them some volume. I have a DSL20CR that I get pretty good tones at low volume, though.

But the big question is, where do you see yourself in a few years when the kiddos are old enough for you to play at higher volumes? If you let go of the amp, will you regret it? Do you have room to store it for when you can play it again? Lot of big amps are not getting much nowadays, too. Something to consider if you plan on using the proceeds toward another amp.

OR (big OR coming), is this really about looking for an excuse for new gear? That's something I have to ask myself every time I get the itch to, uh, accommodate my playing to my current life. :D

17. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Virginia
    In this case I don’t think it’s an excuse,” yet “ just a serious thought , however I did use the kids as an excuse to buy a duosonic. But we won’t talk to much more about that.

jimytheassassin and Whatizitman like this.
  18. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Meister

May 18, 2018
    Littleton CO
    Or go cheap and buy a Blackstar Fly3. Great sound, built in delay, headphone jack and cheap.

Tony474 likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I now live in an apartment and my Smokey amp is perfect for home use!

The ' air' in the room becomes the ' speaker', so it does not sound as puny as it looks- no controls, just use guitar Vol.
    ( I bought this when they came out in late '90's; have a brand new 'NOS' one as a backup- not used yet)

Invented by Bruce Zinky of Fender/ Zinky/ Supro amps 20171024_100812.jpg

20. stevemc

stevemc TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    cape cod
    any amp with a master volume should be fine.i like the small speaker idea also.i have a superchamp x2 head that is versatile as heck and can sound good through a small cab.i run mine through a 212 and can get it pretty quiet.if i was looking for a new ss i would check out the orange crush line.mustang and yamahas get a lot of love,so.....good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.