Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fake Binding

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by estodd, Sep 22, 2009.

1. estodd

estodd TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2009
    folkston
    Hello All,
    This is my first post on this great website.
    I love this place!!!
    I want to repaint my brown sunburst tele and when I do I want to have a border or fake binding around the edge.
    My question is what do I mask the edges with.
    Surely not plain ol everyday masking tape or painters tape.
    The edges of the guitar are black so I am just gonna leave the black on it and paint the rest of it ivory or white.
    Thanks to all of you.

2. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

3. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    Here was a little experiment I did with 1/4 high quality auto pin stripe. Got the idea here from... from... Can't remember...

Attached Files:

4. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Yep, the auto pinstripe works perfectly...if you have a steady hand and good eye. The tip was from (for me anyway) the kid with the crazy sparkle paint job partscaster build. I don't remember if he called it Goldcaster, Mostercaster, it was something like that. A funny build thread--and I mean that as a compliment, not a dis. It sounds cheesy but from more than a foot away you can't tell it's a tape job. And even though the auto tape is thin, it's VERY sturdy. I suppose your arm might eventually rub it loose at the top edge but even if it does, you're only out five bucks. Here's mine:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachme...2034895-ngd-blondes-have-more-fun-tele_sm-jpg

Have to admit, I have since taken it off because I felt like--and this is just me--a poseur with my fake binding. Not that anyone else should feel that way or that there's anything wrong with the idea--it's a good idea if you want that look. I guess I figured what the heck, it I want a Tele with binding then I should just buy one. And the tape was in fact kind of hard to get off, so it should be very durable if you go that route.

[sorry if the photo is huge...don't have the hang of this forum yet]

5. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle

I agree with everything you said, and was surprised how well it wanted to stay on there when I pulled it off. I actually felt I should do a bound body if I felt I had to keep the tape on there too. :oops:

6. estodd

estodd TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2009
    folkston
    let me clarify

Hey Guys,
    I posted earlier asking what kind of tape to use to mask off the edges of my tele so that when I paint the rest of the body It will leave a black edge all around to look like a binding.
    The edges are already black. The guitar is a brown sunburst and I am going to paint it cream or white or ivory or whatever but I need to mask off the existing black so that when I paint it all white I can pull the tape off and have the black edge.
    My question is what kind of tape to use to make sure the edge does not come out fuzzy looking and will be nice and sharp.
    Thanks again and sorry for the poorly worded previous post.

7. SamX

SamX TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2008
    IndianRocksBeach, FL
    Hey ! I am a recent convert to "the building life" and the first Tele I built was ash. Here's what I did: I took a page from the PRS book of fake binding ( not that he's trying to fool anyone--he does it intentionally and it looks great) and I shot the edges with StewMac vintage amber. Then I used the blue painters tape trimmed to size and covered the area that would be the "binding". After that, I shot the Shoreline Gold on. After it dried, I peeled up the tape and had a perfect fake binding that looked like a wood binding. The problem I had was that the paint went on thicker than the amber "binding", (which I will now stop putting in quotation marks since you get the idea) so I had to put the lacquer on thicker than I wanted to. It came out almost great. Almost ! The tape looked straight when I put it on , but was noticeably uneven after the job was too far along to go back. Anyways, it was my first attempt and I won't do it again until I get some pin striping tape that's the right size. I'm too busy building my first acoustic to try again and when I get the REAL binding on that, I will probably put real binding on my electrics. I'm building the acoustic with the guidance of an actual luthier who is teaching me everything so I can do it properly. I think this kind of fake binding method will work just fine and look way better than tape. In your case, the black is already the correct thickness so you'd only have to tape it and then put the color coats on. Maybe sand the lacquer or whatever down to the black color coat so when you lacquer the whole guitar, it would get uniform thickness. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this myself so I will definitely do another fake binding at some point, but my next one will have a real wood or plastic binding I think. I hate to do the Shoreline Gold over because it does look good, but it needs to be perfect. I'm sure somebody on this site has done a better job than I did and can probably give you more input. Good luck !

8. Meekster

Meekster TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Washington State USA
    Hey there

Look for 3M Fine line tape sold at automotive paint stores
    it is a thin plastic tape that comes in widths from 1/16 to 1"
    That is what the custom car painters use and it is bendy ie: follow the curves

Google 3M fine Line ;)

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    So, if you use the auto pin stripe tape do you have it overlap the edge of the body (in which case, does it crease when it goes round curves?) or do you just apply it to the flat surfaces of the side of the body?

10. Hackguitarist

Hackguitarist Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2009
    Kerfuffle
    On the one I posted the pic of above, I let the tape bend over the round over. If you pull it just a little tight as you pull it around [and I mean a little tight] it stretches just enough to cover most of the round over. At least the way I did it, maybe 80% of the round over so from the front/top it looks like it has thickness to it [see pic].

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.