Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fair price for a used BD-2 Blues Driver?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grux, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I made an honest mistake. I forgot that the tone knob is different. I was simply trying to help, not condemn the OP. I hope others are more understanding of you, the next time you're in error.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Grux and Staypuft1652 like this.

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    $40 tops

In other words keep it. With dials properly set the BD 2 is magical. No more than noon on the big knobs and 10 o'clock tops on the little knob. Turn that lil knob up and you got yourself a nest of bees!

Mine actually sounds best with the CH 2 and PH 3 placed in front of it....if daisy chained.

I had 3 BD 2 just have one now. I'd like another!

hotrodkid likes this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I been using this a lot for pricing:
    upload_2017-10-5_7-0-34.png

MilwMark likes this.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Yes. I am also trying to help OP. If you put the wrong knob on it, I'm only paying $40. The tone control on this pedal is actually a lot more useful than most realize. Not having it is going to reduce the value.

I think not having the correct knob on there also indicates something to the buyer...pedal was taken apart, repaired, modded, abused, who knows? I've owned several Boss pedals (including this one) for a similar amount of time, and a knob has never just fallen off on its own.

Again, not trying to condemn anyone for selling a pedal with the wrong knob. That's totally permissible. But I am just going to expect to pay less.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I use a BD-2 as my main OD ( always ON, I just find it easier to roll from clean to OD with guitar Vol knob, than stepping on an OD- and honestly this pedal ' wakes up' my particular amps...)
    but I do like stacking it with a Tube Screamer when I really want a good sustaining boost, w/o a whole lot of additional distortion- it doesn't really seem to matter the order of these two pedals- just my experience.

hrstrat57 likes this.

6. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Sorry to butt in again!, but with respect to the actual BD-2 Tone control,
    I can get a pretty good Fuzz box sound
    ( especially if you just use one dirt pedal most if the time, like me and you need FUZZ for a song or two)
    if I crank the pedal's Gain AND Tone controls ( pedal Level knob wherever you want) and turn my guitar's Tone control ( usually a Strat or Tele) all the way OFF- it works
    - Just think the secret of a Blues Driver is the range of those 3 knobs, powerful!

7. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    No way dude, I don't offend easy. No apology needed!

8. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I'll let the trash men worry with it, maybe someone at the dump plays. 20171005_125136.jpg

Junkyard Dog likes this.

9. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That's hilarious.

Grux likes this.

10. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Can't say sell or don't sell, that's up to you. But know that any sale is a transaction. The role of the buyer (of used items) is to get the highest quality/amount for their money.

Saying it's missing a 35 cent knob may be correct, but you're selling a problem. The buyer can go grab a pedal with all the knobs instead of buying yours. If they buy yours, they then have to go and source the correct knob, buy it, wait for it to be shipped, then install it.

No knob salesman is going to sell a 35 cent knob and not add shipping to make it worth his while. I'd imagine a minimum of 5 -10 dollars to get a knob (or all three) to buyer's house. So it's not a 35 cent knob after all, it's a 10 dollar knob.

Never mind buyer's trouble and time to source the parts and then wait to get them. I look at things this way--if you offered me 5 bucks to go online, research, comparison shop, and buy you a knob, I'd say no thanks, waste of my time.

So, long-winded explanation. Buy the knob, sell it for higher market price, or expect to take 10 bucks off high market, at the least. Because no one likes to buy a problem or extra work. That's why a simple 35 cent knob means low-end market value.

If replacing the knob were super easy, you'd have done it by now yourself.

hrstrat57 and Junkyard Dog like this.

12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Yep fx stuff I don't like I try and trade for other stuff I probably don't like.

Oddly I've had 3 BD 2 - one was a dog - 2 were good, the one I have is the best of the 3 by far.

Sounds like op BD 2 is a dog.

Trash can is where it belongs I guess.

Good call.....

Selling junk on CL quick way to make enemy.

Grux likes this.

13. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Somehow I am saddened by this if serious. I had one years ago but had a crap SS amp so couldn't judge it fairly.

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I can't understand
    The only way I can imagine that happening is if you bought pedals that were modded, and/or made a major change in amp and/or guitar. Otherwise, the circuit hasn't changed, so there has to be some other variable.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

15. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    lol, fair enough.

I'm really over this as of yesterday, but your acting like missing a knob is detrimental to the functionality of the pedal....its not. Maybe its just me but I buy stuff I will use all the time, and I don't care what it looks like if it fits my needs and functions. If some people are anal how nice the boxes they stomp on look then thats really up to them, they can buy a new pedal that costs more and has that badass 35cent knob they covet.

As as far as your last comment, did you even read the op? I DON'T USE THIS PEDAL at all, so I really don't care to put the time into replacing the knob on something I don't care about. I understand economics and I didn't ask for a lesson, I was simply asking for a fair price and it turned into a whole thing here...thanks for your input though.

Chiogtr4x and Staypuft1652 like this.

16. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    It's now in Boss heaven.

Grux likes this.

17. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Did you really throw away the Blues Driver?

18. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Not exactly, Endless Mike actually inquired about wanting it so I pulled it out to ship to him. Good thing though because yes the Garbage truck was 15 mins away.

hrstrat57 likes this.

19. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Late to the party, but regarding the OP's original question, what's a fair price for this particular Blues Driver? Probably $40 or so.

Maybe I'm one of the anal types mentioned above, but when I see a pedal for sale with a missing tone knob, my first question is "how the frack do you lose a tone knob?" Boss knobs don't just fall off by themselves.

My second question is "what else is wrong with it?" For a couple of bucks more, I can buy a fully intact pedal.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Chiogtr4x likes this.

20. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I understand the perception/ ' devalue' of having the missing knob, but the Tone control still works ( plus I just have my 'pro BD-2 bias, Ha! )
    Glad OP may have found a buyer/ home for it- not in the trash

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.