Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Failed Pickup So I'm Gonna Go with Keystones

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by LesCanard, Aug 1, 2014.

1. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Buffalo
    Well...all of the sudden the other day my neck pickup on my 2011 American Standard Tele just lost most of its output. The bridge was fine, I took it to my guy and he did some testing and said it wasn't the switch which I was hoping but that it was the pickup - measured very low output and was basically fried. No idea how that happens but I guess sometimes it does. Anyway, I liked the Amer. Std pickups but I felt they were a bit bright and was thinking of changing some day, so I decided now was the time. I have read such great things about the Keystones so they are on there way. Any comments on how the Keystones will compare to the 2011 American Standard p/ups? It was time for a change anyway. Also have a MIM 2010 Tele with David Allen Fat Cats which I like quite a lot.

I also turn 50 in 10 days and my beautiful wife will be presenting me with a Candy Apple Red '64 AVRI (my birth year) so I'll have that to compliment my new Keystone loaded Tele, so I think I'll be in a good spot very soon. Feel free to compare the Keystones to any of the above - thanks.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When you play the Keystones, you'll wish your other pups would have bit the dust a long time ago.

3. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    Check the wiring, check the pots and jack.

But if the pickup did die, the Keystones will sound better than the stock Fenders at about the same price.

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Now there's a good 50th birthday present!

I picked up my "Keystones" years ago and I'm still excited about them. The honeymoon phase just never stops.

Have a good one!

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    You can't go wrong with those pickups. Pure clean transparent tone. Best I've played.

6. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Buffalo
    Classic...made me laugh. Can't wait to hear them in my blizzard pearl Tele...

7. sjtalon

:cool:

Consider putting a 4 way switch in for sure. Kinda like having a neck humbucker to kick in as the Keystone's sound awesome in series. It's a breeze being the covered neck pup (if you're getting the deluxe) already has three wires. As a bonus, it's one more noise cancel position as well.

Do keep us posted.

Oh, and da wife, SHE'S A KEEPER !!

8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    You won't regret getting Keystones. I have ordered a number over the years. I'm glad that Becky is still running the business. I just ordered a Nashville set with reverse polarity in the middle spot. They arrived in record time. I haven't even finished the body yet!

Fine pickups and a fair price.

9. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Buffalo
    I think I will both keep her and consider putting in a 4-way switch, many comment on that. Can you clarify what a 4-way in a Tele does vs a 3-way? Also, where do I get one? Thx

10. MojoTone

MojoTone TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Burgaw, NC
    Sounds like a short but have you tried reflowing the solder connections on the eyelets where the leads connect to the pickup? I find lots of Fender pickups with cold solder joints. Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, but you could try and fix what you have til then.

11. sjtalon

On a 3 way, the middle position (2) puts the pickups together in parallel.

With a 4 way, position 1-3 are the same (in that same order, as a 3 w) then the 4th ( all the way forward) puts the two pickups in SERIES. That is how a humbucker works, two coils in series.

So with series, you get a slightly higher output, fatter tone. Kind of a nice kick when playing a little dirty too.

Get one from any Fender suppler.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-4-way-telecaster-pickup-selector-mod-switch

12. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Buffalo
    Thanks sjtalon, I have a 4-way switch on the way and look forward to hearing the extra tone option. Can't wait until everything is here and I get them installed.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Happy Birthday, I just turned 50 today as well.

14. sjtalon

Ubetcha and do keep us posted !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.