Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, Apr 26, 2019.

1. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Before you consider picking out an electric guitar, always plug it in.
    Unplugged, it may feel good to you but that's really all you can tell.
    If it feels good, that's one thing, but if you are ever going to plug it in, then you need to know that it's giving you a sound that you can use.

Teleterr, Greggorios and guitarmoron like this.
  2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Hugh fiction. Some of my best sounding guitars sound like crap unplugged.

Bones, Greggorios and guitarmoron like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 nope.

There may be some correlation, but too many confounding factors to use it as a rule of thumb.

It's probably true that if you play it unplugged and like it, you'll be more disposed to like it when you plug it in after, though (see also: Cognitive Bias).

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Funny thing is that they all sound like banjos unplugged and then they sound like guitars when you plug them in. Go figure.

Owenmoney, guitarmoron and AAT65 like this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

But I have to tell you, if it sounds like a banjo unplugged, it's going back on the wall.

guitarmoron likes this.
  6. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I've told the story before, but years ago a friend of mine got a Polaris Explorer. Unplugged, it sounded and felt completely dead, like brand-new strings were damp cotton. No 'snap' at all.
    Plugged in, it sounded like a normal humbucker-powered guitar. Still FELT like playing a guitar made out of a stiff dishrag, but sounded just fine.
    I didn't play it long before handing it back to my friend. He seemed not to mind much.

guitarmoron and King Creole like this.
  7. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

Semi-hollow bodies are louder by their very nature:D

guitarmoron likes this.
  8. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

So far, out of 28 posts in this thread, 16 vote that it is Fiction, 3 think that at least there might be some correlation. The remaining 9 comments were unrelated, indicernable or not worthy of being in this highly scientific top secret poll.

My vote is Fiction because the pickups and amp make a huge difference compared to everything else. Strings make a big difference too and I suspect they could make identical guitars sound quite different if unplugged.

Beachbum, guitarmoron and edvard like this.
  9. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I guess I should clarify with "Fiction, but with caveats". Basically;
    1- A guitar that sounds/feels good unplugged won't guarantee good sound when plugged in, though I suspect it MAY be more probable given a good set of pickups and fresh strings.
    2- A guitar that is "dead" when unplugged doesn't guarantee bad sound when plugged in, but most certainly will affect how you feel while playing, which MAY be just as important as good sound to you.

My advice; ALWAYS try it out both unplugged AND plugged in. Then, make sure your wallet can support your choice from there. No use finding a great guitar that you can't afford, except for the few minutes you get "just trying it out".

guitarmoron likes this.
  10. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

I have a chambered tele that sounds like crap unplugged. Plugged> great!! Cavalier pups.

guitarmoron likes this.
  11. aubrey67

aubrey67 TDPRI Member

Same here. I also think that way.

Greggorios and guitarmoron like this.
  12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Wow, too many double negatives!

How bout 'if it sounds good unplugged will it sound good plugged?'

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I have also found that if an amp doesn't sound good plugged in, it won't sound good unplugged.

14. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I know this is very true

15. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

I think that when we talk about guitarists and the world that surround us, from the simple cable to the amp, a lot of fiction is going on. :):):)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    guitarmoron and notmyusualuserid like this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have one solid body guitar that sounds woolly on the bass string but amazing and bright amplified. So I say it’s another reason to try before you buy. It’s not a rule i

guitarmoron likes this.
  17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If you heard (read) it on the internet you will have a far better chance of advancing whatever you're researching if you completely ignore it...

the electric guitar is a signal generator... it produces an electrical impulse... and if you think of it in that context, AND make practice your number one priority. come next year, you and whatever guitar you're playing will sound a helluva lot better than these guys that are in the event horizon's vortex of a sonic black hole, chasing tone. Remember, even light cannot escape from a black hole, so those guys cannot see the error of their ways...

And when I say whatever guitar.. I DO mean whatever guitar, assuming it's correctly setup and generates the correct note at the correct time.. Esoterica is just not necessary to stun the audience.. and guys that IS really what we all want to do is it not?

rk

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

This is going to sound weird but I play an E chord then put the headstock against my ear. It should ring for some time like an acoustic. My " snake oil " test- then I plug it in a good amp at low volume and thaen go from there. JMHO
    Also, every guitar is individual, so go with what feels, sounds and plays well. I chose the best of 21 Epiphone Texans in 1973, eliminated 19, chose the better ( to me) and even the luthier selling them said I'd made the right choice.

guitarmoron and kbold like this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Definitely true with hollowbodies and semis. Not always with solid bodies. I had one heavily chambered ash tele with a spruce top ... with that guitar, unplugged and plugged absolutely correlated. Same goes for my partscaster with a light spanish cedar body. That resonance and depth you can hear unplugged is there at volume. But other solid bodies, not reliably true. Some real dead sounding planks change character completely when plugged in.

guitarmoron likes this.
  20. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The sound of any guitar is accumulative (many things determine the end result).
    With electrics you have major determinants, such as; the pickups, the pickup height and position, the strings, and externally the user and the amplifier.
    Then theres a long list of minor determinants; the onboard electronics (caps, pots etc), the break angle, the scale length, the fret condition and finish, whether the neck is bolt-on or set, and the wood.

So I would say yes, the sound unplugged does have an influence on the end result.

These differences give each guitar its uniqueness, its fingerprint.

guitarmoron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.