Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, Apr 26, 2019.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I have often heard that if a guitar doesn't sound good unplugged, that it wont sound good plugged in, is this true? if so it would help me a lot in the future while shopping.

thanks

String Tree likes this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No.

beagle, AlbertaGriff, TigerG and 4 others like this.
  3. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Fiction.
    And it works both sides (sounding "good" -an electric solidbody?- unplugged does not mean sounding good when plugged).

nojazzhere and guitarmoron like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Fiction

nojazzhere and guitarmoron like this.
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Define "good." If the strings rattle or buzz it will still rattle or buzz plugged in. If the pickups aren't to your liking you won't be able to tell unplugged. Common sense stuff.

Piggy Stu, nojazzhere and guitarmoron like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it is true with semi-hollows, but only from my own limited experience. It might me true in solid bodies in extreme circumstances, but even then, probably pretty subtle. That said, I'd select with best feeling neck first, then how it sounds unplugged. This strategy has worked for me.

guitarmoron likes this.
  7. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

You'll hear salesmen on youtube all excited about "listen to how resonant this thing is unplugged!"

Cool. I guess. Completely irrelevant to how it sounds plugged in.

Same with fretboard material, weight, saddles, etc. You're running electricity through magnets, wire, pots, cords, tubes, and speakers, not to mention the settings of the guitar and the amp. You can not tell a difference.

stxrus, guitarmoron and jvin248 like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That's my go-to test. Play it unplugged, if you like it a lot, then plug it in. If it's resonant you'll physically feel it for sure. That WILL transfer to being plugged in at low volumes. My two keeper strats almost tickle my ribs unplugged. That's why they rose to the top of maybe 8-9 I've had.
    But "sounds good" is different than "resonant" to some extent. It depends on what YOU like. Also on HOW you play. If you are playing in front of a Marshall stack really loud, then how a guitar resonates unplugged matters far less. If you are playing a small club at reasonable volumes, it matters a lot.

Here's another case in point. I love the feel of the old Gibson L6S guitars. And they are cheap (for a reason). Mostly like the neck and the tummy cut they have. BUT they are maple bodies and are bright and lifeless to me. I have tried 3 different ones over the years. The first one I tried every type of pickup including P90's, Strat SC's, P94's and various HB's. Nothing really changed the character of the guitar. Sure you can roll the tone down so it's not so bright, but then it's dull and lifeless.
    I've had many guitars that I realized pickup changes wont solve my dislike for them. Pickup changes get you a minor difference only.
    Another example is a warm sounding jazz archtop I had. Pickup changes didnt really change the character of it.

Greggorios, strats62 and guitarmoron like this.
  9. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unless it's an Acoustic, you need to plug in Any electric guitar to really know what you have, and if you'll want to keep her;),

Greggorios and guitarmoron like this.
  10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

It's fiction. But some guitars have a certain snap and liveliness both plugged and unplugged in a way that makes me play better. It's intangible but it's real.

11. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Sustain matters. I don't think tone does.

Shuster, guitarmoron and Matthias like this.
  12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

True! I've had my Danocaster on a stand here in my office, and while my amp is sitting right next to it I haven't even bothered to plug it in. It's got such a nice snap to it unplugged.

Sounds even better plugged in, though.

- D

13. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Good indicator of sustain and buzzes, and sympathetic ringing. But buzzes can be excused if you can’t hear them through the amp. That’s about it, though. Most of the balance and frequency response comes from the pickups and pickup height.

guitarmoron likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

What you are asking is between these two videos. Then ask who benefits if it's true (marketing department) or false (every player). Who was that guy that said follow the money?...

guitarmoron likes this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Fiction unless you're talking acoustic guitars. I remember my old Sheraton sounding pretty nice unplugged, so maybe different for a hollow/semi-hollow too.

16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

If you like how it sounds and/or feels unplugged that may help your overall opinion of the guitar, but it doesn't necessarily translate into sounding good plugged in. It just means "Man, this feels like a tight setup on this guitar!" That could be a good sign though as to its overall quality. And if it sounds good plugged in as well, win win! :D That's how I've always thought about it anyway.

guitarmoron likes this.
  17. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like the physical sensation of "resonance" from the instrument.

Haptic, tactile or vibrant qualities appeal to me.

I like to feel it working.

There are quite a few ways to adjust the amplified sound.

:)

18. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

"Not in the sense that you mean" Anton Chigurh

BUT I have found guitars that resonate or you can feel a tone from "MAY" have a tone that translates.

Acoustic builders tap the tops to analyze them and the bracing along the way.. so it's a FACT the plain old tone of the wood "MAY" indicate a certain quality.

It's not like you're gonna lift a Tele off a shelf and play it and get some guitar you can impress girls with without an amp.

But my critical experience is limited. I'll defer to the "experts" and have read enough that ANY resonance and tones from an unplugged guitar is pure coincidence and no indication of tone... I'm just not 100% convinced of this...

Tex

19. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

That line was made famous by the movie about The Washington Posts investigation of Nixon and Watergate. "Deep Throat" the nickname of the White House informant" advised the Post reporters to "Follow the money".

guitarmoron likes this.
  20. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Latin scholars might trace it back to Cicero and "Cui bono?"

Tricky Dicky was not the first of his kind :rolleyes:

:)

Edit

intended as historical amusement rather than political commentary

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    guitarmoron and StrangerNY like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.