F1 on Netflix

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Mar 21, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We just finished this series on Netflix. If you enjoy motorsports, I highly recommend it. It's got me interested in watching Formula 1 again.

JazzboxBlues, svMike and DonM like this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

thanks for reminding me. I was 5 episodes into in when the new racing season began, and I got distracted. I was enjoying it and now I will watching, while I wait for the next race.

3. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

It's a fantastic series. I especially enjoyed one of the early episodes where the Renault guys were joking that Grosjean wouldn't make it around the first corner. A moment later he crashes and they show the Renault guys all laughing. I was at home saying the same thing.

The only sad thing is that this tv series is actually more interesting than the actual racing.

kelnet likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Really good look behind the curtain. You know these people are presenting their "polished" side when doing TV interviews. It was good to see how they really are.

One of my favorite scenes was when Kimi was being interviewed about his move to Sauber; he is giving the press his usual Kimi sarcasm. If you look closely, Lewis is next to him, just cracking up with Kimi's answers. Gotta love a sarcastic Finn.

Pickin N Grinin likes this.
  5. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

I saw this when scrolling thru Netflix this past weekend. I'll have to check it out now that I've heard something positive about it.
    I'm a long time F1 fan but I have to agree that a lot of the time race day doesn't live up to the expectations. At least we seem to be beyond the days when reliability seemed to be such an issue.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I'll have to check it out. Watched Melbourne this past weekend. Glad to see Bottas up front, he's ready to win it all.

7. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

The move Rush made me into even more of an auto racing curmudgeon. My father is in the auto racing business and the era portrayed in Rush is the era when I was a kid/tween growing up at race tracks.

I know this sounds crazy, but at that time there was this thing called racing that they did. The drivers had different driving styles. The cars actually looked different from one another, and not just the colors/sponsor logos. When you took these different drivers to different tracks with different cars, in many cases you actually did not know ahead of time who was going to win.
    There were even times when the championship was not completely mathematically sewn up at the halfway point of the season.

I mean, of course, now it will happen once per season when the #2 driver of the dominant team will win a race, so there can be some discussion of whether he violated team rules or won by accident. And maybe once, at some exceedingly strange track like Monaco, a driver from a team other than the dominant team might sneak a win when nobody's looking. Maybe. I mean, it's not physically impossible.

I admit that since then, F1 is still the fastest, loudest, and most expensive parade in the world. And they still have Ferraris. But man, you should have seen it when it was auto racing.

8. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

well, the season just started so its a good time to get back in but I will tell you that last season of F1 was the most boring I can remember in my life. so much so that my dad and I, both life long fans, were wondering what the hell we were going to watch in its place. even the drivers were talking about how boring it was, some of them on radio during the race even. BUT this season there are a couple new changes to the cars and some new drivers and some drivers in different places. we got some interesting surprises in the first race, so maybe it will be a better year?

Misty Mountain and alathIN like this.
  9. kelnet

I like that this series focused on the mid-pack teams and drivers. It showed that there were all kinds of races within the race, and that if you were only interested in who came first, then you missed a whole lot of drama further back. The problem, though, is that TV broadcasts often just focus on the leaders.

10. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Been following F1 since the 80's. My favorite motorsport. I root for Ferrari and Haas. Can't stand Verstappen nor Hamilton. Like the drivers from Finland. Going to have to watch this.

11. kelnet

It's like that period from 1984 until 2004 when Williams, Ferrari, and McLaren won all of the Constructor's Championships, except for 1995 when Benetton won it. In the 1988 season, McLaren won 15 out of 16 races. In 1992, Williams and McLaren won 15 of 16 races. In 1995, McLaren had dropped down, but Benetton moved up. Williams and Benetton won 15 of 16 races that season. The following year, Williams won 12 out of 16. In 1998, McLaren and Ferrari won 15 of 16 races. In the mid-2000's, it was Renault, McLaren, and Ferrari. Later, it was Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari.

I guess you really have to go back to the seventies to find a period that wasn't dominated by two or three teams.

12. kelnet

There's a lot of focus on Haas and Romain Grosjean.

hdvades likes this.
  13. jhundt

so, as a Ferrari follower: how do you feel about the team telling Leclerc NOT to pass Vettel with 10 laps left to go? ...and later claiming that there was no sense in taking such a risk as they were determined to secure points.

It seems to me that Leclerc could have easily passed Vettel, who seemed to be having problems; in fact, the team could have suggested to Vettel that he allow Leclerc to pass. That would have removed any risk factor; Leclerc was never going to catch up to the front-runners either. And the points total would have remained the same.

14. jhundt

that's because Haas is the only USA team in the field, and Netflix produsers know that's important; and Grosjean is a driver who sometimes talks a bit proud while seriously underperforming. Other times he seems to have some fair driving skills. So he is 'interesting'.

LutherBurger likes this.
  15. jhundt

the same could be said for many sports, I guess. How many Superbowls has that Boston team won again?

16. kelnet

LOL. Yep, 6 times in the last18 years.

17. kelnet

It was interesting that they didn't really focus on that until they got to the American Grand Prix. French and Danish drivers, and a lot of focus on Guentet Steiner, the Italian team principal. Also, Haas seems like a European name, so it really felt like a European team.

18. unixfish

And deal with the wrath of Vettel? He is very comfortable being #1 and supported - he is difficult if he is beaten more than a handful of times. He tried all season long to sabotage Riccardio in his last year in F1 so he could be the #1 driver - then slinked off to Ferrari for preferential treatment. Well, there were other reasons he left, but that was one of them.

jhundt likes this.
  19. unixfish

Although, there is an old saying:

"There are some nice guy drivers in F1. Then there also some self absorbed a-holes that may become champions."​

You almost have to be that way to get ahead in a sport like that.

20. jhundt

I am happily inspired by this post. At first it seemed to attract all the negative comments that are so common on TDP these days. But now I see that there are others who are able to chat/discuss F1 without spewing venom. Happy to meet you all - let's raise a glass to the new season!

kelnet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.