Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Eyelet board do-over on a '63 RI reverb unit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JBennett, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I know I started one thread, but I felt like I should document my build in this Burnt-fingers section.

I've orders some parts for my eyeletboard rewiring of my '63 RI Fender Reverb Unit.

I got a 12x24" piece of Formex

and I'm waiting for my eyelets to arrive. Then I'll layout, drill and rivet the boards (doghouse board, rectifier board, and main circuit board).

Here are a few shots of the Formex™© that arrived. Looks a lot like the stuff inside my old Tremolux. It's supposed to be an improved "fish paper". Feels sturdy enough to drill and flexible enough to squeeze into a chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

You got me thinking about Formex, it seems to be an extruded polypropylene, so it has really good properties for the job, not as rigid as glass boards, but no itchy hands from cutting it. Did you get GK-62? or something thinner? Fish-paper is still available, if that is your thing. Where are you getting small quantities of Formex? I can't find anyone willing to sell single sheet or smaller amounts of anything but GK-17.

3. tubeswell

tubeswell Tele-Afflicted

If its thick enough (hard to tell from those pics?) it looks like a good present-day sub for phenolic sheet. The real test will be dc-leakage

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Yes, this is the GK-62 (which is exactly a 1/16" thick).

Here is one source for it. A large 24 x 48" sheet runs just over 20 dollars.

Pretty good for a very large sheet compared to the fiberboard from mojo.

6. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

So, first step will be layout the board, cut it to size, and outfit it with eyelets. Then, I'm thinking of ordering all the components from Hoffman.

My big question is, will the reissues transformers and choke be compatible with the original circuit layout? I'm having trouble determining if fender made any changes when they PCBed the unit.

The other issue is the doghouse wiring. I've found some clear photos of the doghouse wiring of the capacitors and think I could just follow that, but I'd love to see a proper diagram. No fender layout diagram seems to incorporate the doghouse layout.

Any help is appreciated.

7. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

i'll bump this for interest :)
    I bought the 63 ri a couple weeks ago. I put a 6k6 in it and it sounds a little darker, I like it.
    Was very slightly contemplating switching it to hand wired, but I am pretty happy with the current sound so may leave it alone.

Good luck with the build!!

8. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I should add, I am really happy with my unit too!

I plan on keeping the PCB in one piece so if I need to, I can rebuild it to stock. I am only doing this as a hobby/project/challenge. I got mine second hand for a great price.

I have always wanted to build a eyelet board amp, but I don't have any more square footage in my apt. so the best I can do is rework something I already have.

I'll document each step along the way. Including when I finally bring the whole mess of wires to an amp tech to put back to where it was when I started :)

9. andyfromdenver

lol, hopefully it doesn't come to that!

10. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I got a hundred eyelets and a staking tool from Watts

[​IMG]

I'm just looking for the measurements for the boards so I can get started soon.

11. tubeswell

tubeswell Tele-Afflicted

If you aren't fussy about keeping it looking 'exact', you can guestimate the board dimensions from the 6G15 layout drawing. There is no exact science about the dimensions.

12. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I opened up the chassis today to measure today. I'll look at some photos and come up with my measurements tomorrow. Then I'll take a stab at staking the rectifier board.

13. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone explain the purpose of the AC receptacle that is used on some old Fender's, including the 6g15? It looks like it's just a single two-prong outlet that the power chord runs into and then out of before going to the fuse/switch. What purpose does this serve? Except that I suppose you could get a male/male power chord and plug it in to the outlet and the wall and power your amp that way. But why would you? I don't see the reasoning for this extra piece.

14. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I think it was simply meant as an auxiliary power outlet...like having an extension cord to plug other amps or electrical devices into. The most I have ever used it for is a 9V adapter when I had a dead battery for a DI box at church and no extra outlet available.

15. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Put together a rough rectifier board. Just to see how it cuts and drills. It's a bit plastic, but with deep score on a straight edge, a bend and a slice, it cuts pretty easy. Drilling was a cinch and that eyelet spreader works well.

(I know, pretty rough. Next time I'll smack each hole with a center punch.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Any opinions on diodes? I know the job calls for 1n4007s, but I've already got a few others, 1N4005 (600v) and a 1N5399 (1.5 amp/1000V).

Could either of those be used for the same job?

17. andyfromdenver

Well if you need more practice I'll take one :)

18. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Soldered a bit on the diode board. Formex can't take TOO much heat, but once I learned the limits it went easy. I like working with eyelets. Very clean system.

I'm going to wait until this weekend to drill my main board when I have my drill press set up.

19. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

So, any opinions on if this plan for a full wave rectifier would work between the current reissue transformer and the original circuit design? I would use 1N4007 diodes...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  20. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

21. tubeswell

tubeswell Tele-Afflicted

You might want to label those 100R ground reference resistors on the 6K6 socket (just sayin') to save others scratching their heads.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.