Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I agree. His guitar work on that song is classy, tasteful, and exactly what the song called for. Also, I think if one started to copy his phrasing on that song, you'd quickly discover that it might sound easy, but in execution it's not... like the syncopated offbeat phrasing. It's the little details that matter. Not the notes, but the polished technique.

tgalante and 8barlouie like this.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    In his early days Clapton had a lot of competition, and I think that he recognized it. Somewhere along the line he stopped trying to set himself out from that crowd and fell into what he either wanted to do, or was likely convinced to do by recording execs. Some of it is good, but a lot of it is uninspiring IMHO.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Any one where he doesn't sing "she don't lie...that dirty cocaine"

Yeah, we get it Eric - coke is bad...:rolleyes:

4. twr1

twr1 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    sonoma county, California
    This is an interesting video. His approach on an SG is a good example of his ability.

Have You Heard from the Bluesbreakers album made my ears perk up. The "Clapton is God" came about during the LSD days.

tgalante likes this.

5. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    Nope- back in the Bluesbreaker days, a year or two before the LSD days!

viccortes285 likes this.

6. twr1

twr1 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    sonoma county, California
    I stand corrected!

7. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    The one with the shortest solo.

8. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I'm sure it's difficult and full of graceful phrasing. It just goes on way too long.

9. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    JJ wrote it...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Frank'n'censed and viccortes285 like this.

10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Always struck me as ironic that she actually lies like a rug.

11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Watching the 2010 Crossroads. Clapton and Winwood doing Voodoo Chile and Mr Fantasy. It's deplorable how he plays those dreadful pentatonic scales up down the neck like that. Terrible, just terrible. I might be able to last what? 3 more hours listening to this? Tops. He really brings nothing to the table at all. Ok 4 hours, but that's it.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I agree. After listening to Clapton for more than 4 of 5 hours, I have to listen to something else.

Seriously, the thing that's amazing is that after 50 years, he's gone through so many different phases and styles. ON some level it's almost all blues. But there's so much variation you could listen for hours.

t guitar floyd and 8barlouie like this.

13. Dickey01

Dickey01 TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Florida
    I don't get the whole rock & blues guitar thing; very few rock & blues players have impressed me. I think there are so many of them because these genres are the easiest to play & sound halfway decent at. Just a bunch of "pentatonic pushers" wanking away at a Strat or Paul. I have always been more into world class "over-the-top" guitar players, such as:

Danny Gatton
    Roy Buchanan
    Scotty Anderson
    Tommy Emmanuel
    Guthrie Trapp
    Shawn Lane
    Brent Mason
    And yes; Greg Koch

You wanna impress me, you better play like Scotty Anderson or Tommy Emmanuel, who I consider to be the 2 best guitarists alive today.

14. Dickey01

Dickey01 TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Florida

Listen to THIS guy then get back to me about Clapton.

15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Many, including myself, often take the man for granted...yes, sometimes he mails it in, with too safe & clean solos, or overly commercial projects & bands that don't inspire, BUT then there's the undisputable resume, body of work & those, he's influenced. If you don't get him after reading this article, it's on you!

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/eric-clapton

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Crashbelt likes this.

16. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Blues is the easiest music to play and the hardest to play right. The phrasing and nuances are very tricky. But I'm a bit baffled that you're a Roy Buchanan fan and don't feel like you get blues. If anyone ever played the blues it was that guy.

Crashbelt likes this.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    lol

clearly, you need a temple in which guitarists can submit their burnt offerings!

Emmanuel has never moved me emotionally, he has no historical interest or significance. Kurt Cobain is orders of magnitude more artistic and consequential.

Scotty is an amazing guitarist, a Master of technique, harmony, and cleverness. As Pat Metheny is a great student of jazz guitar, probably with George Benson the greatest alive today, Scotty is a great student of the tele tradition, and probably the greatest alive today.

And yet Clapton has been more consequential than all of them. Right passion, right place, right time.

Crashbelt, RLee77 and viccortes285 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.