Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    usa
    By your logic, we can all see that YOU are insecure.

I'm completely confident with my stated positions on EC.

Again, I have all his albums (many on 1st pressing vinyl), I've seen him live many times including his final tour with Gary Clark Jr

2. gigs

gigs TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2012
    pittsburgh, pa
    Yeah, I saw him three times live in the late 70's, early 80's. Two of the three times he was great. One time he looked so hung over / strung out... he went thru the motions, did the show and got booed off stage. I booed as well. He deserved it for dis-respecting his profession and his fans. We all carry some luggage with us. But I have always been and remain a big fan of EC.... he is the reason I picked up a guitar. Great song-writer, guitarist, and singer.

Route67 and jimash like this.

3. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Ok . . . you say you're confident; good for you. :cool:

tgalante likes this.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Just remembered two things we can thank EC for.

1) He brought us the plain G string, all string sets had a wound G before he requested the plain G. Similarly Andres Segovia brought us nylon strings, where all classical strings were gut before he requested fishing line.

2) He got off dope, stayed clean, and put his money into helping other addicts get clean.

I can forgive him for Lay Down Sally.

5. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Like all of us, life was good and Bad for Clapton. He lived the high life and played with the best. Had anything he wanted. Yet his downside with years of Herion Addiction and loss of his son. His life was the Blues.
    Yet as a guitarist he actually broke some rules and created some great songs. His vocals over the years is also up there. Enjoyed the many years and styles of Clapton.

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Austin, TX
    He was like no one else at the time. Maybe Bloomfield was going there, but Cream was a couple years after surf music and It's My Party. It was a radical change. The music between 1962 and 1967 changed more than in any period in modern history, probably, and Clapton was a driving force in that.
    His playing was also very lyrical. He played like someone singing. The whole woman tone was trying to sound like Aretha. So very relateable. I certainly could see a sax player relating.

7. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    Unless you're Jeff Beck.:p

I like Clapton. Layla is still one of my favorites.
    I just like Jeff Beck a helluva lot more.

2 Headed Goat and jimash like this.

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Lol... for me, it's "I shot the sheriff". Love EC's music, but that one gets muted the instant it hits my ears on the car radio.

9. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Joe Brown learned the unwound G trick from Eddie Cochran in the late 50's and as a consequence was very much in demand as a session player as he was about the only guy who could emulate the American players (until the other guys found out too).

He was possibly the first in the UK to do this but may well not have been since George Barnes advocated the use of a plain 3rd string as early as 1943 in his book "Modern Guitar Method". Guitar Slim and T-Bone Walker also used a plain 3rd and Chuck Berry may have got the idea from them too.

So it was pretty common practice on both sides of the Atlantic by the early 60's.

So where does Clapton fit into this exactly?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Easywombat, jimash and Route67 like this.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Can't remember where I read it but I recalled that Clapton had enough clout to get sets made with a plain G (for the masses). Not that nobody ever subbed a plain string into their set, but the sets were not sold that way.
    Maybe it's a total fabrication, but I read it somewhere and it wasn't on the web!
    Sorry to bring low grade intel to an internet forum!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    LOL… check it @ the 2:58 mark…

RLee77 and richiek65 like this.

12. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Robbie Robertson and Roy Buchanan were both doing that back in the Ronnie Hawkins days too. Waylon Jennings and James Burton were both moving the strings up a slot and using a Banjo string for the high E by the early 60s too. Waylon may have picked that up from Buddy Holly in the 50's, who knows.

Route67 likes this.

13. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    2nd response. More thoughts...

He mastered/excelled on electric, wah wah, slide, acoustic, songwriting and singing.

He's been around long enough to have all of these phases...brilliant...the songs...the pain

Anyday, Anyday~
    To break the glass and twist the knife into yourself
    You've got to be a fool to understand
    To bring your woman back home after she's left you for another
    You've got to be a, you've got to be a man

Bell Bottom Blues~
    And if I could choose a place to die
    It would be in your arms
    Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you?
    Do you want to hear me beg you to take me back?

14. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    His version of Cocaine is probably the most boring musical performance ever recorded. Except maybe It's In the Way That You Use It. He could put a room full of ADHD kids to sleep. Unless you go back to White Room. Eargasm. Anybody who's been at it 50 years is going to have very high highs and very low lows.

viccortes285, Uncle Bob and Route67 like this.

15. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I lost interest in half of Zeppelin. The rhythm section continues to amaze me.

16. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Well spoken, sir . . . for someone who's handle is almost "Snoring". :D

Sjnoring likes this.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    So whose version of Cocaine do you like? To me his version is true to the original and his succinct and economical phrasing on his solo is excellent.

DonM, viccortes285 and RLee77 like this.

18. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    Pablo Escobar's version is waaaay better

Uncle Bob likes this.

19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Well put. I thought 'Cocaine' was a very poor choice as an example of 'emulation capability' - that's like saying someone who can play Steve Vai's 'Sisters' can, by definition, mimic him perfectly.

20. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Cop this!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.