Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

explain the Clapton thing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ok, I was born in 66 and didn't know there was such a thing as FM radio until 1979

the first band I heard were stoner kids playing Skynyrd, the first song I heard on the radio was ELO ("Telephone Line"), the first concert I ever saw was Talas (Billy Sheehan's band), then I got into Van Halen and saw the 1984 tour, and from there, Zappa at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh

so I basically missed the 70's. by the time I was listening to music, Zeppelin was almost entirely off the radio

and one of the things I totally missed was the whole "Clapton is God" thing

what was that about? why was a British single-note blues nerd like Clapton so highly regarded? I mean, I get the Stones. but Cream? all that blowing and frantic drumming? what was that all about?

Agitator, kuvash, troy2003 and 2 others like this.

2. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ

3. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore

4. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

May 19, 2012
    United States
    It's pretty easy to not like Clapton but then I hope you never have to trade licks with him or anything like that.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I couldn't understand the Doors, Stones or Joplin (and still don't care for any of them) but finally understood it one day in a flash. There were some comments made about Hendrix, what's the big deal, etc. Then it hit me. You had to hear these things in the context of their times. I tried imagining how the Doors and Morrison must have sounded to ears and minds that had *never* heard or experienced these sorts of sounds, lyrics and such before. In a flash, I understood how revolutionary and exciting the Doors must have sounded. While I still don't like the Doors, or a number of other bands and artists from that time, now I understand. We're jaded. We've had John Mclaughlin, Al DiMeola, EVH, Randy Rhoads and countless other mind boggling and innovate guitar players with wild tones and amazing technique. So now Hendrix, Clapton or any others from earlier times can sound downright tepid in contrast. But that depends on the listener as much as anything else.

Just imagine how these things sounded to people who grew up hearing Elvis, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Bill Haley. And those were what were considered dangerous and pushing the envelope in their time. Then along comes Hendrix, Clapton or Mike Bloomfield? Holy cow! Explosive!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm 9 years older than you.
    In 1966, I first started really listening to the radio.
    The bubble-gum pop music on it started getting interrupted by edgy harder guitar sounds.
    Purple Haze, Blue Cheer's Summertime Blues, Sunshine Of Your Love, Born To Be Wild, and In A Gadda Da Vida sounded scary, dangerous and exciting.
    To me, Clapton soared above the others because his soloing was eloquent, and conversational.
    His tone was distorted, but had a singing quality.
    He was never a one trick pony.
    To me, he was the best, and most consistent guitarist/artist of the time.
    I utterly take him for granted.
    He's always been great.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    This is several years after the Bluesbreakers clip that jimash posted. Derek and the Dominos, Live at Fillmore in 1970. I get it why some people trash on Clapton, but then I don't get it, either. I listen to this album a lot as I work out, and I'm consistently drawn to his playing here. It's just fantastic. For example:

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    that was helpful

richiek65 and viccortes285 like this.

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Sit down and really listen to his playing.

Try to replicate his phrasing. His wide, smooth vibrato.

Learn a couple of his solos. Really learn them and you'll realize how thoughtful and great they are.

Listen to his soulful playing on "while my guitar gently weeps". Master the second solo in "crossroads".

Get the funky, funky timing and subtle phrasing of "lay down sally".

Dig how he outlines the chord structure behind the solos and fills.

If you don't get how great a player he is, it's just that you're not advanced enough to get it.

P.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Listen to the solo on "I Ain't Got You"

Get back to us....

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Have you heard of The Beatles? George was a Clapton fan (and dear friend).

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    this is exactly what I'm after

was Mayall/Clapton's appeal really "popular"? or were they basically inspiring the guys with guitars who were looking to turn up and get loud? there was plenty of pop, plenty of flower power, Airplane, etc. -- it was the *knowledge* and *tone* that Clapton was laying out there?

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ah, be generous

some of us whippersnappers came *after*, and had EVH lighting us up

viccortes285, Weeman333 and jondanger like this.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    dude, totally

Maggot, viccortes285 and Deeve like this.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    can anyone recommend some slow Clapton blues?

PastorJay likes this.

17. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    I think its just that he is/was so good

Clapton, Mayall et al were wildly popular, and like Hendrix and Bloomfield they defined the music...everything is built on the shoulders of those that went before, and these guys were the ones that some music evolved from. A lot of what's come since is just rehash. A big factor, too, is that they had a white pop audience, but learned THEIR craft from niche market black musicians.

Route67 likes this.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Flakey and Stratohacker like this.

19. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    "Have You Heard" from the Bluesbreakers album. "Gambling Woman Blues" with Freddie King. "Born Under A Bad Sign" with Cream.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

20. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    One of the things I haven't seen posted on this is, we now have a gazillion guitarists, then there were few that were even close to being as good as Clapton. His varied styles were second to none. Yes, there were others, Page, Beck, and so on. I specifically did not mention Hendrix because his playing was revolutionary, and even Clapton and Townshend, stated they would not want to follow him on stage. But back to the original theme, there was just not anybody I can remember that was in his league. Add to that, he has openly stated that he doesn't remember much of those "Clapton is God days" because he was using so much back then. I can't even fathom how much better he could have been had he been straight.
    As someone who lived through that time, and Dismalhead so eloquently said, "You just had to be there"
    just my 2 cents

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.