Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Expensive?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 6, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    :)

A big clue is when everything is all someone else's fault. The one thing we can each control in our lives is to choose how we respond to events. We can let all the little things piss us off endlessly, or we can simply focus on other things. Ignore it. If it bugs you enough, see it as an opportunity, and find a solution.

And before you criticize or assume, put yourself in the other guy's place...

Cheers.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

It wasn't really about blame or realizing that I had made an error in my judgment of the situation that bothers me.

I made multiple errors in the way I was explaining it to everyone here, and I also errored when I thought anyone would understand it.

So yes in those regards I am completely foolish and ridiculous.

So I will just keep this particular thought to myself and watch the madness continue.

The last thing i will say on the subject is this.

People who spend money blindly, or simply because they can, are usually the people with more to spend in the first place.

I do not begrudge anyone for being wealthy...

However, these people are the reason everyone pays an extra $600 for a guitar because a set of $200 pickups came as a stock feature

They are the same people who will still spend THOUSANDS with a company like Gibson even though the quality has went down the toilet!

In other words they are enabling the companies/manufacturers to become completely lazy and non innovative...all the while making them a boat load of money.

I guess you guys like getting a reboxed tube screamer with a different name and paint job every year for even more money than last year.

Bout like the guys who buy their beers with corks for obscene money per bottle.

You have successfully financially supported someone's bathtub mystery brew...that cost penny's on the dollar to produce.

And now you cannot even find a Budweiser on tap because of it...

Because it's been hyped and spun up to be better...

And by God you had better like it, or be shunned by the rest of the village.

This is the society we live in today.

The power of FEAR and the story of MORE call all of the shots.

How many of you right now go along with certain things just because of acceptance... for fear of being a social dissenter and the repercussions that entails?

And all of this is made possible by irresponsibility and the lack of caring that can be attributed to having an overwhelming sense of security ,even if that security is false!

And financial security today is what largely affords the illusion of nearly all other securities

So as I said before...the irresponsibility and the carelessness of people with money are the reasons that what has happened to our society is happening to the guitar industry.

And it is a damn shame!!

Not that people with little money are any more responsible...they just have alot less of a means to cause damage to responsible people be they rich or poor.

Does no one find any sense in this?

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    yep I don't get it

william tele likes this.

4. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    This whole thread gives me such a "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" vibe I'm going to have to pull it out.
    The book I mean.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    The power of fear, and the story of more? Hoo boy.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Expensive, to me is a relationship between what value I see and how much they want for it.
    When I look at a guitar, I look for the features that I think add value, then I balance that against what they want for it.
    If I think that the price is fair for the value I see, then I think about buying it.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY

I find no sense in this at all, you are imposing your value judgements on everyone.

You are somehow trying to tell me there is no difference in taste from Budweiser and a real beer?

I will gladly pay an extra dollar for a Sam Adams than a Budweiser, because it is a much better VALUE!

If you are buying a 6 pack the value is even better, and extra 50 cents a bottle and I get something that actually tastes good.

There is probably nothing in the world advertised more than Budweiser, so who is paying for hype?

But back to guitars, as the price goes up the guitars get better for the most part. Nobody is going to sell you a $500 guitar that is as good as their $1000 guitar.

Everyody who drops their cash down on the counter gets to make their own value judgement on what something is worth.

moosie likes this.

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

You don't get it...

9. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i am downsizing in life and with guitars i actually like the specials and not all the frills,,,,,les paul studios...SGJ...keeping my humble home instead of buying a bigger one..spending time on actually playing..hanging with the family..charging less for our services....the minute i stopped worrying about money ...i became rich....could i buy a $5,000 Gibson and a super reverb ...yup...but am i.... nope...also learned the value of money from having nothing to building 2 companies and now i invest in my workers...funny was just thinking what make me tick now days..is ..are my workers having a good quality of life ?? let me pay them more...

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    This thread has gotten more arcane and complicated as it goes on. I'm an engineer but I really like to simplify things. In my world, something expensive costs twice as much as something perfectly serviceable. You can get a perfectly serviceable car for $20000, maybe to $30000. Expensive, to me, is $50000, maybe $40000 qualifies for a car. Is an expensive car worth it? To me yes. If you can't afford expensive, the question is irrelevant. With guitars, perfectly serviceable is $500 to $700. Expensive is 1000 and up. Is an expensive guitar worth it? That depends on you.

Let's be clear. People who buy BMW's don't make Chevys expensive. People who buy PRSs don't make Fenders expensive. Companies need to make a profit to continue producing anything or they risk imploding like Gibson. Companies need to deliver what their customers see as value or they won't be able to attract and keep them.

raysachs and Piggy Stu like this.

11. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    No, you don't get it. The way you think things should work conflict with the basic economic principles of supply and demand. You want items to sell for below market prices. That's not the way free markets work comrade.

tele12, Piggy Stu, kelnet and 2 others like this.

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I think as you live more life your point of view will improve and the "madness" will start to make sense. It's ok to be young and foolish. In fact, given a choice I'd want to be foolish while I'm young: People are more forgiving, and the foolishness is usually more fun.

Reputation has value. I will try a Ricenbacker guitar because of its reputation, but once I play it I can then decide for myself if it's worth my money (hint: it's not, not at that price). Fender and Gibson have very good reputations, but both have products that fell short. It's not a conspiracy, it's just honest and decent businessmen who tried to make a product and they fell short.

If a product is overpriced or bad, they'll be found out out eventually and people will ignore them, or a competitor will move in and correct the market by stealing their dissatisfied customers.

You seem very hyper focused on your perspective as the consumer at the expense of those who produce these products we buy. Honestly, the profit margin on any music related piece of gear is really more tight than I think you realize. Fender does not have money to burn, and Gibson is flat broke.

Life is not nearly as dark and sinister as you seem to think. It gets better, ha ha. Keep questioning the world around you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    3fngrs likes this.

13. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    And one final word, WetBandit. I don't think you are foolish at all, I think you are the kind of person who figures things out by communicating with others. Its a funny thing, sometimes we don't know what we believe until we have to write it down and defend it.

FWIW, I think you are doing fine.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Before you say I don't get it, let me just make sure you realize you are certainly not talking to me in this conversation. I don't fit anywhere in it...and I said many posts ago that I really don't think there are many here that are your target. That's all I can say...

Tommy Biggs and WetBandit like this.

15. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    The only difference between a rich man and a poor man is that the poor man pays tax. When a rich man buys a guitar it's a tax write off.

WetBandit and bftfender like this.

16. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Thanks for those kind words.

I do fully understand how business and a free market economy works. I helped run the family business for a few years with my dad, and I am currently more or less running my current place of employment, as our owner (who was my friend) died and his 2 sons are completly clueless.

I think the best thing I can compare my feelings on this subject to is Gentrification.

This is all just my current opinion and perspective, feel free to change my mind!

I'm pretty sure the people who live in a (not so desirable to outsiders/tourists) neighbourhood, do not like it when the "circus" rolls into town and starts jacking up property taxes and the price of a cheeseburger and beer (that aren't even the same) to the point where those people who are NATIVE can no longer afford to live in the place they call home.

And even though we are actually receiving better stuff than ever before at lower prices than ever before, the whole guitar industry reeks of the vibe I just mentioned above.

When you see something that costs thousands of dollars treated so nonchalantly, it is absolutely disturbing.

Not that I couldn't afford 5k because I could, but that would be a big freakin deal to me as I imagine it would be to most others as well.

But in today's society of a $6 dollar draft beer that smells like perfume and taste like earwax...

I mean which image turns your stomach the most?

c255b36d252cd08a9e97d40374f3502c.jpg

Tzilte.jpg

Yes, those are wine glasses....intended for wine....

And I am under the firm assumption that the humans in the second photo have testicles...that are probably receding.

I'll just say it!! HIPSTERS are/have invaded the guitar Industry in a huge way and I HATE it!!

Be it right or wrong I just really hate hipsters...and they and their "culture" are taking over!!!

I could have probably just said that at the beginning of the thread and it would have been better.

God I sound angry... oh well, truth is I am.

knopflerfan likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Definitely a less controversial take with this crowd! :lol:

Man, you're too young to sound this old... ;)

18. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    LOL, yeah you should have just led with that.

No one likes hipsters. Hipsters hate hipsters, and then they use the self loathing as part of their mojo.

19. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Well, we have found a point of agreement! In my generation it was yuppies who devalued everything of merit. Hipsters are doing the same thing now.

When I walk out of this factory and see some punk trying to dress and act "blue collar" without a callous on his girly little hands...

Hell, I work with women who are more macho than those punks.

knopflerfan likes this.

20. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Beard, boots and untucked flannel shirt and they still look like someone who sits down to pee.

How do they manage that?

knopflerfan and 3fngrs like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.