Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Mar 6, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

You clearly didn't read my posts...

First off, I'm not broke and i have plenty of nice gear...

The part you missed is that I wasn't talking about buying better things as the funds permit...

I do not have a problem with buying nice things i own many.

What I have a problem with is Rich folks paying more money for the exact same thing....

So they pay 500 for a box of cigars and I payed 100 for the exact same box!

You understand now?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    We live in a consumer society. We are bombarded by advertising to encourage spending our hard earned income. Part of that encouragement has to do with the marketing of some fictitious lifestyle that appears appealing. It is a vicious cycle: as we make more, we spend more, which in turn is taxed more, which makes corporations (and you know what) grow more. This is a world wide model of consumerism with no borders now. There is plenty of evidence suggesting that wealth and consumerism are not connected to happiness. It is up to the individual to decide how much you want to be involved in this vicious cycle.
    Guitaryellow, davidchagrin and DougM like this.

3. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    When I was 18 I had a Yamaha FG75 Acoustic Guitar. It convinced me to quit playing.

At 59 I bought a Martin HD-28. It was expensive and I have bought eight more guitars, currently have five guitars, and enjoy playing. I could afford it at my age and it was worth it. To each their own.
    P Thought, davidchagrin and JayFreddy like this.

4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Jeez, how many Ron Swansons can we cram into this thread?
    WetBandit likes this.

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

And I am exactly like you it seems... as I do not deny myself the things I want that I can obtain.

Spending money on the cheeseburger isn't the problem.

My problem would be when I pay my 10 dollars for the burger and then you waltz in and pay 20 for the same damn burger because they put it in a different wrapper.

I'll use the Freakish Blues alpha drive incident as a point of reference here.

When everyone paid top dollar for their Alpha drive that was actually a repainted joyo ultimate drive, which is a OCD clone...

When they didn't know it was a JOYO it was the Bees knees!!!

As soon as they found out it was a $25 pedal and not a couple hundred

It all of a sudden wasn't worth spit!!

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    On this forum I think the number of people who don't know the difference between "well made" and "expensive" would be pretty low. All my guitars are good. Some are really well made. I think none of my guitars are as well made as something costing more...but this is the level of instrument that my skills warrant, so that mentality drives a decision as well.
    Tommy Biggs likes this.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Let's keep adding them until things start making sense.

Appreciate what you have, strive for what you desire and don't waste perfectly good beer. Ever.

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Basically my entire point is that these guys who just dump money on things because they can, ruin evrything for the rest of us....who choose not to or are unable to afford it.

These guys are the reason $300 dollar tube screamers exist.

The same guys that have made 10s of thousands of dollars a reasonable figure when dealing with a beat to **** barely functional and in some cases barely recognizable vintage guitar

So now instead of the custom shop charging 2500 for a guitar

They are charging 5 or 6k for no reason at all other than Joe with that fat bag o cash will buy it because he can....not because it's better than that same instrument that was 2500 a week ago.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    How is it hubris or arrogance? I'm sure there's something you spend money on that is not entirely necessary to your continued existence (such as the device and service that got you here). Someone with your attitude, who was in a state of poverty, would assume the worst about YOU, then...

Neither would be true.

What seems arrogant is observing the world from your perspective, and slotting everything you see into the little stories you've told yourself, assuming that makes it all true.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    JL_LI, davidchagrin and raysachs like this.

10. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    To be fair, this site is responsible for at least as much of my gear lust as any actual paid-for advertising. Every time I read a glowing review for an OCD, i think, man I should pick up one of those. I mean, yeah, I did own one a few years ago and it didn’t work for me, but so what? And who cares if I’ve also owned two separate OCD clones at different times over the last five or six years? Other people like it, and tastes can change, right? I really liked that red pepper I ate the other day, and I’m pretty sure that wasn’t always the case.
    Pixies2005, raysachs and JuneauMike like this.

11. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    They were cheated. And confirmation bias probably led them to convince others to fall prey to the same scam. This isn't a mystery, it's a sad story about people being taken in by a huckster.

Nobody wants to admit that some expensive piece of gear they coveted was actually a piece of crap. At least not immediately. It causes embarrassment, it undermines their judgement in the eyes of others. Take bellbottoms for example. Once upon a time people wore them with a straight face and with no trace of irony.
    davidchagrin and TwangyWhammy like this.

12. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    'Dear Frozen Yogurt: You are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing. Zero stars.'
    3fngrs and JuneauMike like this.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm not the kind of guy to covet other people's things. I have what I need, not a lot more, but I'm okay with that. My son's window who is from a very wealthy family that spends more on some entertainment outings than I could live on comfortably for a year. I completely understand, they have a lot of money, and I don't. If you are truly rich, you're more concerned about something being right than the price of it. My daughter in law's dad bought her a very nice home, I mean very nice, by anyone's standards. No bargaining, it was what she wanted, he had the money, he simply wrote a check for the home. He is loath to even discuss it, he wants no credit for his generosity. He has donated to hospitals and various other charities. One hospital has a waiting room sponsored by him, one by his brother, (I used this very room last summer when my wife was hospitalized) and one by his father. The point I'm trying to make is the truly rich are not concerned about price to value ratio, as they are the value of what they purchase to them, or a designated recipient. If it's just right, they just pay. That's all there is to it.

14. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    I'm sorry, there's been a mistake. You've brought me the food that my food eats.
    davidchagrin and 3fngrs like this.

15. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm not sure the word expensive is the right word to use. Value might be a better discussion point. Expensive really does depend on the size of your bank account to someone earning 15 grand a year even a cheap affinity strat might be a luxury that they can't afford. To someone earning 300 grand a year it's going to seem like pocket money.

Value on the other hand is harder to define because as this thread proves we all have different value systems. Warhol thought Coke was an American ideal because no matter how much money you had you couldn't buy a more expensive coke. Rich or poor everyone drank the same thing.

Custom shop guitars are not coke though, you can by a more expensive strat or les paul and some how both you and the vendor will have to find value in the price on offer.

I think it would be just as absurd for Fender and Gibson to give away the luxury market as to give away the low end import market. Labels alone can make people happy, let them be happy.
    davidchagrin likes this.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    What makes something Expensive?

If people are willing to spend the money, the market will raise the price to accommodate.
    Ebidis and WetBandit like this.

17. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Things are expensive for 3 reasons in every industry.

1. Operating a business (any business) is expensive. Insurance, equipment, employees, fuel, bribes, taxes, etc make things very costly to operate. The widget might be $3 in materials, but it is made by someone who gets a salary and benefits in a building that has a monthly lease, electricty, water, heat/air, taxes,.....on and on and on.

2. Lack of competition. If competition isn't plentiful, a business can charge much higher prices for there goods. Look at the jewelry industry, I almost married a gal who worked at a prominant store in my area and the mark up on all their items were 400% over cost. Think about that when you consider what you paid on that wedding ring. They do that because nobody is competing with them, so they can charge that.

3. People are willing to pay it. When you think about it, even at the higher price levels, those upper class members are still paying a smaller percentage than someone of lower income. If a guy makes $3000 per month, a $1500 guitar is tough to purchase as it is half a months pay. For a person making $10,000 per month, that $1500 is chump change so he has no problem buying it on a whim. As long as there are people in that position, the business will have customers and are able to market on price instead of volume.

I have always felt that everyone should try to start a business someday, you will learn far more about it than you can learn in college. When you work for someone else, you only get to see it from that perspective and that means one that thinks the owner is a greedy jerk who makes you work too much OT or doesn't pay well enough. When you become the owner, your perspective switches to what a lazy pita many employees are.
    moosie, JuneauMike and davidchagrin like this.

18. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    But more than likely, the market is every bit as shrewd as the seller. And so they have to figure out how much it costs to build that widget, how much their competitor sells their widget for and try to set a price that is competitive and still leaves a little money left over for profit. Sometimes they realize that they can't satisfy market demand and still make a profit and they can't cut their expenses enough, so they fold up the tent and go do something else.
    davidchagrin and Milspec like this.

19. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    I call this turf 'n turf.
    SweetClyde99 likes this.

20. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

This is where you went sideways...

They actually aren't crap at all...ive been using a ultimate drive for a while and it is a pretty faithful recreation of an OCD

And the people who bought the Alpha drive didn't think it was crap fact many loved it...

Until wait...oh no it's not actually pricey...

The problem with "tone chasing" is that it's always about MORE!

You know the reason why your epi les paul sucks and sounds bad?

Because it's not a Gibson...with better wood etc...

Last I checked the old blues men with a slapped together 3 string Cigar box and a bottle neck slide and tiny little transistor amp turn out some SWEET tones!

But if we want that tone it will cost a whole lot more than an empty cigar box and some odds and ends.

Because someone will cook up the story of more.....
    nojazzhere and davidchagrin like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.