Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Expensive amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by daveyboy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Bluestone RI

Bluestone RI TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2014
    NB, Canada
    I spent 2600$ on a Tone King Imperial 20th Anniversary, shipped! Time will confirm, but so far, it is worth every dollar... To me, I prefer to have one amp that I love compare to 2, 3 or 4 that all have their pros and cons. And you also cut in the pedals expenses!

2. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

Jun 1, 2014
    Melbourne
    I am fighting GAS to buy a Supro 1624T dual tone... Worth 1700 bucks new in Australia...

3. CRMCRM

CRMCRM TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Stevens Point, WI
    I am completely an amateur. Play in a jazz duo that does a handful of free gigs a year (retirement homes, scholarship fundraiser for the local community college,...) Not much reason for me to have much more than a micro-cube.

That said, I have a handful of $500+ amps:
    Blues Jr with BillM mods and an oversize cab
    5E3 clone
    Cube 80X (Not the kind of amp mentioned on this thread, but fairly respected in Jazz circles)

By the time all is said and done, my most expensive will still be well under $1000. MuchXS is working his magic on my silverface Champ.

I think most of us have to go through the process. Buy, sell, trade. Figure out what you want and get to the point where you can afford it.

I have been playing guitar since I was a teenager in the 1960's Best money I have spent on music in the last decades has been on guitar lessons. Started lessons about the time I turned 60. Great Fun!

CRM

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I never met an amp that I didn't want to own .... currently I have 14 amps. I use around half of them for different reasons ... the others just sit. I remember Wes Montgomery had a love hate relationship with amps ... I just wish I could find a light weight tube amt that would do it all ... I havent found one yet. The closest I have come is my Traynor.

5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm a teenage bedroom player. I often get good deals. So far it's a $350 1962 Guild 98RT, which is a rebranded Reverberocket. It's been spray painted and has wear, but I got a 1 year warranty and already got a free output transformer replacement... Argh!!!! But it sounds awesome and I'm happy with it. Almost just traded some guitars for a brand new AC15 with a road case in mint shape, but I'm happy with the Guild and my $200 Purchase of a brand new Fender Excelsior Pro when they were closing them out.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've had several amps but I don't think I've ever spent more than like $1200 at a time. I think the most is spend would be up to like $1500. My tastes are limited and very specific and I think $1500 could cover just about anything I would want.
    If I could/would drop closer to $2k it would be on an original Tweed Harvard or Tweed Vibrolux.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    Score! The reverberocket is on my list of gear I eventually want.

8. afelt.tech

afelt.tech TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I tend to get really good deals on amps...

68 Bandmaster head with matching avatar cab: $525
    67 BF Princeton Reverb... almost embarrassed to say this: $550 last year
    90s HRD: $400 in 2005 (main gigging amp)
    Egnater tweaker head and a hand made cab: $250 in January

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Most expensive was a hot rodded '78? Vibrolux Reverb for $500 in 2001? That would be
    about $670 now. Glad I bought a '63 Brown Deluxe in '79 for $150 when there was not
    much buyer appeal.

10. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Price has no tone

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    For a (very!) practical joke I'm considering a balls to the wall Gorilla conversion. If anyone has a redundant TC-35 I'd like to perform a little alchemy on one.

Alchemy changes base metals into gold doncha know? :D

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Might wanna be careful with that one. Randy Smith did something similar to a Princeton (also as a practical joke), and look what happened there... ;)

14. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    You mean what I paid for the amp or what it cost me including the mod?

Had a SF Twin modded for harp once, because I didn't want to be like every other harp player in southern California and play through a Tweed Bassman reissue. John Kinder told me later that it was the least harp friendly amp he had ever worked on. But it sounded great!

15. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2011
    Canada
    If I had the dough, I would buy a Bruno tomorrow. Or even today.

16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    +1

17. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2007
    Maine
    I understood that Magic Dick used a Twin, though it may have been a BF.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.