Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Expensive amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by daveyboy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm of the belief that it's much the same with amps as it is with guitars only maybe a bit more so. Less expensive models will get you very close but lack some of the finer touches and features of the very best money can buy. If those things are important to a guy and money is no object I say go for it. There's nothing like a great amp to make an average guitar sound exceptional.

I have a very good friend and TDPRI member who has two 65 Amps models that I believe are two of the finest sounding amps I've ever played through and I'd love to own one. It's just that for me those amps are beyond my limit price wise and I can get close enough for me with those I have all of which cost me less than just one of his 65 Amps models.

Play what you like, can easily afford, and what fits your style and skill level. A $2k-$3k amp isn't gonna make me sound any better than those I have.

2. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    Being a new player and someone who can appreciate nicely built things. I became aware of what a nice amp can do after been buying a original 1968 Drip Edge Champ for $325. This started me out and have been adding a little nicer gear over the past 2 years. Last year I picked my Clark 12" Tweed Champ and absolutely love it. It's got some pretty nice options and think I paid $1250 for it used directly from Michael. He told me it'd be about $2300 to recreate(which is kinda crazy for a tweed champ although it does have on board tube reverb and an attenuator). I'm going to add a Blackface Princeton Reverb either boutique or vintage. I'm leaning towards boutique since it's less money and won't need an amp tech to bring it up to par. After add the Princeton I wont need any amps, unless I move from the bedroom to a band and I'm a little ways from that.
    [​IMG]

3. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

May 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Just shy of $2600, in 1994. for my Matchless DC-30.

4. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2013
    Kansas City
    c. 1991: Marshall JMP-1 Preamp ($1000) Marshall 9200 Power amp ($1500) Korg DTR-1 Tuner ($200) Rocktron Intellifex LTD ($$250) Lexicon LXP-1 Reverb/Chorus ($800) Digitech PMC-100 switcher pedalboard ($250) Marshall 1960A/V 4x12 ($900) Marshall 1960 B/V 4x12 ($900). Great sound, too big, too loud, way too heavy. Pretty expensive.

Today: home made 3) 5E3 Deluxes, 2) 5F2A Princeton. Great sound, much lighter. Priceless.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    My BF Vibrolux Reverb Amp 2K and my Marshall 1974x $1.2K.

6. Wow! I paid $225 in '91 for my 1965 BFDR. I like inexpensive expensive amps. Building my own 5e3 now

7. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    This is one of the most insightful posts I've read on the general topic of spending money on gear. Bravo!

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Thanks Tony. That's kind of you to say.

I guess all I wanted to point out is that it's all somewhat commensurate with one's playing skills. I am not what I or anyone else would call an exceptional guitarist so a $3000 amp isn't gonna make me sound or play any better. Only more focused practice will do that. I play only what works best for me based on that.

My jam brother however is an exceptional guitarist, so he can get far more benefit out of his top of line gear than I ever will. I believe this is just further proof that "tone" is more in the head and the hands than in the strings, tubes, wire, and speakers. They can only enhance what's already there.

9. DW Calumet

DW Calumet Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2014
    Chicago/NWI
    Hmm...this thread made me realize I've never really spent a lot of money on an amp (always less than 1000.00). I think the main reason is I've always bought amps with the idea that they would be gigged with and would be exposed to those rigors (where and tear, a lot of moving, theft risk). I've never really had the luxury of having a $$$ amp that could remain at home. I've had and have some fairly decent stuff but I usually wait for a deal or buy used more often than I do with instruments. I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on a new reissue super reverb or bassman so that will get me in four digits for the first time.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I've got a rack rig based around a JMP-1 and a 9100, I didn't mention it in this thread because I really don't want to think about how much money I have into everything! :eek: :lol:

11. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Spent $1400 on a 1958 tweed Princeton. I bought it at a store so I paid premium. Not one regret, I love that amp...it's a keeper.

Attached Files:

12. teleplunker

teleplunker TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Hockley TX
    $2,100 on a Fender 57 Twin RI. Bought brand new in the mid-2000's. My primary amp ever since. I would really love to have a vintage amp at some point.

13. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I've never paid more than 500 for an amp. But some of my amps are worth a lot more than that now.

I have built copies of amps that cost a lot more than that however. I sell wholesale electronic/avionics parts so I get significant discounts when I decide to build something.

To me new amps are a waste of my money. I have bought a lot of broken amps and repaired them.

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The reality about high-end vintage guitars and amps is that you will NEVER hear about the higher-priced ones, unless they are sold at auction.

Collectors have paid in the 6-figure region for specific amps - but those deals stay in a very closed-loop of sellers/brokers/consultants/collectors.

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I dont care about uber-expensive amps , just like I dont watch expensive car testing ( thrashing ) on TV . It will never be a part of my life anyway.
    I guess for most people like me , that is an older guy who can afford most normal things , if I really want to ,it is all about getting a desireable amp for your purpose , and use it , really use it , to the very max of its potential. Then either use it as your no 1 , or get something else.
    Dont get too hung up on how heavy it is or similar. Face it , if you are not disabled , and you want to play with a certain type of amp ,you will have to deal with it , you wont ever find similar in a smaller package anyway.
    Practice bed-room sized amps wont ever cut it on any stage , and if the preferred amp tends to be too loud , learn to deal with it , mod it , use a certain pedal , and just use what you need to help the situation.
    Then live happily forever with you favorite , high quality amp
    These are just my observations , and feel free to use it reg guitars if youd like.

16. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2010
    Texas, USA
    What is the point of any thread?

I just ordered a Carr Skylark from Humbucker Music. $2400 (with slip cover, of course). Should ship today. Psyched!

And I have $62 in my wallet.

:eek:

Here are pics similar to mine from SoudPure. Mine is Slate grey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skylark Review

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

17. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. It seems liked it'd be a great amp for blues and at home freindly. It was on my radar but I can't justify the cost for my skill level.

18. DavideBassista

DavideBassista Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    This past Spring I splurged and bought my dream bass amp, a 1966 Ampeg B-15 in really nice condition. It was about $2,200. It sounds really good with my '63 P bass and also sounds great with a Tele too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    That looks real yummy, always wanted to play through one. Looks like a nice example too.

20. I spent 3000 bucks on a 1960 5F6A bassman...well worth it..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.