Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Expensive amps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by daveyboy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. billwalker

billwalker TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2014
    austin texas
    I dropped 2000 on a boogie 400+ with the 2x15 cab in 04 or 05 when I was gigging steady. I could never justify that now, especially since NOBODY needs that much power. I still play bass and I'm gassing for that ashdown ctm 15. Pure tube bliss.

I fully realize this is the tele forum, but whatever

2. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Auburn, Georgia
    I've probably never spent over about $700 for an amp. But, if I would have had the money available, there was this Soldano Lucky 13 head and matching 4X12 cab a few years ago that sounded like God's own voice. And that was with ME playing through it. :rolleyes:

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Roughly $1500 on a hand wired Dumble clone.

Came close to investing $7K in a Real Dumble that I found a really good price on, but the shop wouldn't let me test the amp, even with 3 grand in my pocket, ready to put down. Their loss. Didn't actually need it, thought it would've been good to snatch up and hold onto for a few years, and let it go after Howard passes, and the prices shoot up even more. I'm happy enough with the tone of the clone, that it didn't really bother me passing up the real amp.

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    The most money I spend on an amp would be either 1500 Deutsche Mark on a second hand Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+ in the early 90s (I think todays value would be like 1500 €) or the 875 € I paid for my used fender custom vibrolux.

5. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2010
    America
    1050 bucks on a used 65Amps London Pro. Money well spent, I love the thing, and figure I won't lose too much money (if any) if I ever decide to sell it.

6. PieterK

PieterK Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ultra Sound Amps has a Dumble listed as having sold for $48,000. I've heard of others going for around $35k.

I've seen some Trainwrecks too listed for $35k, although I've heard of more of them being somewhere around $20k.

It makes that Komet-built Trainwreck circuit (designed and authorized by the Trainwreck guy before he died) look like an absolute bargain at about $4k new.

I get that the amps are great. Superlative. Perhaps the best ever. But the threshold of diminishing returns has gone so absurdly high as to make it pointless I think.

I could just--barely--justify the price of a new Bruno or Komet, but even there, unless you've really got cash and just don't care, in terms of pure sonics and performance, are those amps 200% better than an amp half their price?

7. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    MD
    I paid $750 for my '74 Vibrolux about 10 years ago. Probably spent about as much to build my M18 clone.

8. Biz Prof

Biz Prof Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2009
    Lillington, NC
    Funny story: When he auditioned for the guitarist gig in John "Ozzy" Osbourne's post-Sabbath band (originally called "Blizzard of Ozz"), Randy Rhoads brought with him a tweed
    Harvard and a couple of pedals. Dana Strum, the bassist who was playing the role of headhunter, asked Rhoads "That's it? That's your rig?" Rhoads responded, "Just wait and listen. It's a great little amp."

Of course, upon warming up in the studio before the audition formally started, Rhoads made that tweed Harvard sound like a Marshall stack, and Osbourne, stirred from a drunken stupor, sat upright and declared, "Tell him he's got the job."

There's no telling what THAT Harvard would be worth now.

9. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I paid $225.00 for a 1980 Princeton Reverb in yr. 1982. It was a demo floor model. I paid $550.00 for a brand new Brown 1963 Vibroverb Reissue in 1992. And I paid $400.00 for a working 1969 Bandmaster Reverb with the large 2X12 matching cabinet in 1986. The best tele I have owned cost me $320.00 new. It is a white Squire Classic Vibe.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Pieter, you're right about the diminishing returns IMO. How much recorded music would be left if we eliminated every recording where the guitarist used a Fender or Marshall?

But that's really irrelevant. Some people can afford to spend big money for a boutique amp, and they do. More commonly, it seems like a lot of the people on this site or at TGP have a bunch of amps that in aggregate might amount to $5000 - $6000.

I can't do that, but I don't begrudge them the choices they made. After all, it's their money.

11. Aras Bruce

Aras Bruce TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Have two Amps that I never thought I would pay the price for and they are more than worth it if I think of lifetime enjoyment. Bought a used 2008 Dr Z Maz 18 NR Head & Cab for $1500 out the door. I then purchased the amp of my dreams: tone king Skyking for $2300 out the door after applying the cash back bonus from putting it on a card. No more Amps for me....I found my two.

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    1964 Bandmaster Head: $550.
    Matching Bandmaster cab with 1964 dated Jensen C12Ns: $300
    1972 Super Reverb: $650
    2013 '68 Custom Princeton Reverb:$850 new I think it was.

13. daveyboy

daveyboy Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Victoria BC Canada
    I'm the original poster of this thread and I started it to see how many people coughed up 1000-2000 + for a dream amp. I was looking at fender 57 deluxe head @ $2000 and 57 bandmaster @ $2600. In the end I am getting the former built as a Mojotone kit and the latter sourced from various places for about $1800. I'm super excited to get them in my hands and make some noise at 15 watts and 26 watts!! Thanks for all of the responses!

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Man I'd have to go back some to hit the most I've ever paid. I'd say my SVT Bass rig which was about $900 when I bought it in the '70s. I think it sold by the pound back then. ;)

I once owned quite a few Fender guitars and amps from the '60s and early '70s I wish I'd never sold for what I did but you could buy them for a few hundred dollars back then and if you sold them for a few hundred more you felt like a bandit. Now I'm the guy who was robbed and I did it myself. :cry:

These days I'm the penurious sort. $500 is my limit on Teles and amps so I shop hard for what I want and I'll upgrade them myself if needed.

15. joshphase90wah

joshphase90wah TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    London
    £300 on a 70s twin reverb, probably won't get another amp

16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    $1,600 for a slightly used but pristine Fender 57 Twin RI about 6 years ago - my primary gigging amp since then

17. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    I think I paid around 400 for my tech 21 power Engine. But it's a power amp only so I don't even know if that counts.

Also bought a used Peavey 5150 combo from guitar Center for $600. I kept that one for a couple years and sold it for 700.
    The only other amp I've ever bought was a used Fender him 80 combo which was covered in the ugliest grey carpet you've ever seen. I paid 150 for that from a pawnshop. I had put in eminence Texas heat speaker in it and recovered it in midnight one Tolex and sold it for a bit more than I bought it for.

18. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2003
    Pa
    I spent $2200 on my Victoria Regal factory direct. I sold a bunch of gear to help fund the amp. Its my only amp. Its all I need.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    $1800 in Y2K for a circa '66 Park 45/50 with hand bent aluminum chassis.
    $1100 in 2001 for a new Orange AD30, my only PCB amp.
    $1100 for a Dr Z Stang Ray with anvil case in 2012.

None of these have been favorites for long.

Better sounding (to me) and cheaper amps have included a BFDR for $300, BFSR for $500, '67 Plexi 100 for $700, '58 Deluxe for $500, heavily modded SF Princeton for $300, three hand wired 18w clones for around $350 each, BF Bassman for $300...

Put another way, the most I've spent was around three weeks pay, and when I have had the highest pay I was not spending as high a percentage of my income on an amp.
    So some of those cheaper amps actually involved years of hard hunting and took me weeks to pay for; where the most expensive came when I had more money and maybe bought compulsively because I thought they were better suited to me than they turned out to be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.