Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Expectations based on looks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Aug 12, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I'm trying to sell my old Yamaha SSH electric. Someone showed up yesterday and played it for a while. He then complained that it didn't sound like a Strat.

Okay, the guitar has a Strat-shaped body - not exactly, but close enough. It has two single-coils and a humbucker. The controls are different than a Strat, but I can see why someone would think that it was a Strat copy.

However, I told the guy that it doesn't sound like a Strat because it's not a Strat. They're not Fender pickups and they're not Fender controls. It's a Yamaha.

He said he wanted that Strat sound, so I told him to buy a Strat.

When you guys play a guitar that looks somewhat like a Strat or like a Tele, do you expect it to sound like one?

2. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Nope. I expect a guitar to have good tone first. What it sounds like is second.

coolikedat99 likes this.

3. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I agree with you completely, but you have to keep in mind you are talking to guitarists. The average Craigslist guy looks at pictures and doesn't think about much else. Also the average Craigslist guitarists thinks when he picks up a strat simulacrum he sounds like Jimi, Stevie Ray, or some other icon of which he sees himself as a simulacrum. So pretty much you have opened your home to delusional people. :rolleyes:

AAT65 likes this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Kinda funny to me, how many people try to make their guitar sound like a different guitar. Embrace and revel in the differences, I say.

Nickadermis, FenderGyrl and kelnet like this.

5. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    What does a Strat sound like?

6. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Confessedly, I do form a rough sonic expectation based on what I think I know about a guitar before I even play it. Most of this is based on what I can see or read about the instrument. Body shape has less to do with that expectation than other factors. The little ears of my imagination hear humbuckers, single coils, P90s in general flavors like "hot" or "vintage". I expect a certain kind of sound acoustically based on whether it's a stop bar, trapeze, string through, etc. I'm always pleasantly surprised by the little nuances of switches, pots, machine heads, and other gizmos. If a guitar doesn't sound like I expected it to, that certainly wouldn't put me off. If it feels good and sounds good, it probably is good.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    You gave him great advice.
    If you want a duck, don't buy a goose.

Anode100 and kelnet like this.

8. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Well, that's a whole other conversation that I'm sure the guy couldn't have handled.

brogh and soulgeezer like this.

9. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Did this unit have a lock down nut and a floyd rose type wang system ? If it did it was yamaha's attempt to create a Superstrat which for all purposes will never sound like a strat or even a fender superstrat for that matter ( it will sound better than either IMHO) My Kid had one that we just sold at a swap meet , and it was a fine sounding guitar. I've gained a new respect for Yamaha guitars recently, well made and decently priced

10. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yep. It's the SE700e.

[​IMG]

Dismalhead likes this.

11. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Uh, because of that title, I just had to ask, are we talking GUITARS or WOMEN here (wink,wink)?

12. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Nice guitar!, and the silly part is as soon as you put a pedal in front of it, it wont sound the same no matter what lable on the head stock , this kid lost out!

soulgeezer likes this.

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    oh come on how did that not sound like a strat, a 5 way lever switch, 21 fret bolt on neck and that shape!

kelnet likes this.

14. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    He couldn't make it sound like SRV. He played every SRV riff he could think of.

Toto'sDad likes this.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I had a Strat with S1. Seven tones I didn't like, sold it. Didn't realize back then that Strats come in all flavors. Anyway, down the road I bought an Ibanez RC430, three single coils, knobs like a Strat but with an offset body. It sounded like itself, but not like my former Strat, and I really like it, still have it. I could see where that buyer had a single sound in his head that he was chasing. I had seven sounds I was trying to get away from but we can get fixated on certain sounds based on previous experiences. If you have owned / played many Strats, a Strat can sound like whatever you want. That buyer apparently did not have that perspective.

My non-Strat:

IMG_20160110_154006681.jpg

24 track and Stringbanger like this.

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Here is my "Strat", which I play most every night. It's a
    Super Sigma Stringbanging Mama Special. IMG_3111.JPG

This is a great time to quote the Kinks:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    24 track and dented like this.

17. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Like a Tele, only.....'less'.....

18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You're pulling my leg! :p

SRV shred.png

SRV was a beast on those Yamahas!

24 track and kelnet like this.

19. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I would expect a guitar that looks like this to sound like this>>> weedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    weedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeweedleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay now I get it, he came to audition, not to buy. I've only had one or two of those in all the guitars and amps I've sold, but I had a couple. As soon as they went off in la la land playing, I knew they weren't there to buy. It happens. If the pic you put up is the one in your ad, I would reshoot it. When I put up and ad, I put the guitar on a stand, and shoot it against an amp, or something eye catchy, by the fire place etc. I do the same with anything I sell, golf clubs I pose on a nice blue carefully folded towel in front of some greenery. You probably wouldn't be much inclined to buy a hamburger if the ad was shot with the burger lying on a kitchen floor.

kelnet likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.