Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Excited Newbie from Minnesota

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by faess, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:46 AM.

1. faess

faess NEW MEMBER!

Thursday
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Hi everyone! I am currently a student at the University of Minnesota and have been playing guitar, only acoustic unfortunately, for almost a year now. One thing I really want to do over the next couple years while I'm at Univ is to build my own electric guitar from scratch.

I look forward to interacting with everyone and hopefully you guys have some good tips for me. Thanks so much!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome! Just how "from scratch" are you referring to? We have some people here in the builders sub-forum that will carve a neck from a piece of maple and cut / install their own frets - which is probably not what you meant - to people who assemble finished parts - which may be more of what you mean? Unless you are into wood finishing and want to create your own custom color, etc.

Good luck!

5. GTG_Gopher

GTG_Gopher TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Minneapolis Burbs
    Welcome! i'm an alumni, and for another week, an employee of Goldy the Gopher! Random thought, it might be worthwhile to pick up a cheap finished Tele. That way you have a good specimen to compare your scratch build to!

6. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota

7. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA

8. faess

faess NEW MEMBER!

Thursday
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    My end goal is to build one completely from scratch, all the way from the bottom. However I realize that with the little experience I have with woodworking and such, that isn't a very good spot to start. Would you recommend I start building one from parts? And also could you point me in the direction of the builders sub-forum? Thanks a lot.

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Tele Home Depot: http://www.tdpri.com/forums/tele-home-depot.46/

There are high quality finished and unfinished parts available from Warmoth (warmoth.com) and AllParts (allparts.com). Order a neck, and a body. Tuners, bridges, controls, pickups, etc. can come from a variety of places.

Assembling finished pieces is not insignificant - and probably a good starting point. There are also bodies and necks available from reverb.com and ebay - and craigslist for that matter.

Just be careful - Mexican and American builds use different bridge plate configurations. Having said that, if you want a Strat neck on a Tele? Piece of cake. Your options are almost limitless, and you will need to know what type of neck you like before you buy (read about fret board radius, neck shape, rosewood vs. maple, poly vs. nitro finish, etc.), what body style (Strat vs. Tele, arm cuts, etc.), then what pickups you want, and most of the rest will fall into place.

If you post questions in either Home Depot or the main Tele section (assuming you are building a Tele :cool:) there are experienced builders / assemblers / etc. that are happy to help.

Hey - I have an Aunt and Uncle in Minneapolis. Do you know them? :lol::lol::lol:

troy2003 likes this.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Good luck with your endeavour. Know that you won' t really save money on a DIY. But it's fun.

11. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Building a partscaster can be very rewarding, so can playing anything you can get your hands on .

The important thing is that you are young and interested ! Welcome to the fun :)

12. flatcat

flatcat TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Detroit
    Greetings from balmy Michigan

13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.