Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ex-Fender luthier’s

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by J.T.S, May 30, 2009.

1. Bullet

Bullet TDPRI Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Scotland
    I'm tempted to say you can have my Bullet, but it's the only one I have so I'll have to keep it. I've already sold it twice and had to buy it back. If you ever come to Scotland you can maybe sign my one for me;))
    It's Red with R/W neck and black pickguard. Lovely guitar. Thanks.

2. Tremolux

Tremolux Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2003
    Chicago
    Bullet lovers should be aware that John designed the Tele-style Bullet but someone else was resposnible for the Strat-syle Bullet. This was pointed out by John in the Modern Guitar Magazine interviews that's available via a link in the bio section of John's website.

3. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    I'd be honored to sign it for you... but it'll have to be over a couple glasses of Laphroaig... is that a problem?

;0)-

4. Billy Bones

Billy Bones Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2009
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Anyone familiar with Scott Zimmerman? He told me he was a Fender Luthier and built Kurt Cobain's guitar.

5. Michael Murphy

Michael Murphy Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, Brett is working with Tommy @ USACG now, and has made a couple of really stellar necks for me (as well as some other custom hand-work on bodies).

You'd be hard pressed to find a more talented and helpful group of people than Tommy and his crew.

(And don't worry Brett- I won't tell anyone your secret name...)

-Michael
    Charter Member S. Texas He-Man Emoticon Haters Local #316

6. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Nov 4, 2009
    Hoggetowne, FL
    The website looks great. But that's mostly because of all the really cool guitars on it. Absolutely stunning work.

7. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol:

8. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Was Alex Nicholas a Fender Custom Shop staffer?

9. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    Scott Zimmerman was a Model Maker/Guitar Builder working for me in Fender Research and Development in the early to mid eighties. He eventually ended up living in Japan, married a beautiful Japanese woman, and worked for Fuji Gen Gakki. Fuji was the OEM supplier for many companies including Fender and Ibanez.

Kurt Cobain's Jagstang was made by Larry Brooks in the Custom Shop in Corona. I'm not aware of Scott making any for Kurt, but Fuji made them, so maybe Scott made some for him while at Fuji.

Alex Nicholas was the Custom Shop Manager for the last few years, but left earlier this year. His background was engineering, not building... he was a great guitarist though.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday!
    Cheers...

10. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

As a side note to John's info on Scott Z...He is now considered something of a 5-string Banjo Guru, still living in Japan...and well respected in the Banjo Community....John...you have a Merry Christmas also....Tony

11. mojo_max

mojo_max Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    I am a huge fan of the Fender and Squier Bullets from the early 80's, I've been lucky to play and own quite a few over the years and they are great little players. Currently I have 5 in my arsenal.

It looks like others have been noticing lately and the prices are creeping up. It also seems because they are student models it's pretty difficult to find early 80's Bullets in great condition.

John Page brought up the Hondo copies that came out not long after he designed the Bullet. I bought one for next to nothing a few years back and John, yes it looks like your Bullet but doesn't hold a candle to it. Thought you would be interested in seeing an example of how Hondo reacted to the entrance of the Fender Bullet to the guitar scene.

Here's my Hondo All Star H-700, you might know it as a H2.

Attached Files:

12. tele53

tele53 Tele-Meister

May 28, 2004
    I wish he still made necks and bodies. His from the 80's were as good as any I have ever played. A master.

brookdalebill likes this.

13. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Nov 24, 2006
    SoCal
    Thank you for starting this thread. I live in "Fendertown", and have three of their guitars, plus a Tom Anderson T-style, all of which knock me out for various reasons, but I never thought of looking up/checking out the guys that started w/ The Big F (aside from Page, Kendrick, English, and Suhr).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

14. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    I think the "guit" neck of Junior Brown's first guit-steel was from a Bullet.

15. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    mojo max - Thanks for the photos, it sure reminds me of when I first saw it. Thanks for the kind words too!

Caffeine Patrol - You are correct. Mike Stevens did indeed use a Bullet neck on the
    first Guit-Steel. I remember him telling me that when we first met. Kinda funny...

16. plook

plook Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2009
    Sheffield, UK

17. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2011
    Lyon france
    do you have pictures to show this marvel?

18. Damaged262

Damaged262 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 20, 2013
    Depew, NY
    Fantastic advice. As a noob thinking about a first try at making a guitar, that is solid advice. I'm sure I would have tried to make the neck and would have lost my mind as I'm a perfectionist. Thank you John Page, your website is excellent. Looks like I'm gonna need to start setting my pennies aside as you have AMAZING looking guitars. Great work, especially those AJ-K's. Of course that's just my opinion, I'm sure everyone has their favorites. Almost too many choices, I'm starting to stress......

19. GuitarGearHead

GuitarGearHead NEW MEMBER!

Feb 27, 2014
    Chicago
    Bullet Gold Tuners

Hello,

I am new to this blog. I have a few Bullets and one is a 1983 that has a beautiful red finish and the tuners are a two tone, chrome and gold. I am curious if anyone else has this and if anyone knows if this was an option back in 1983 or could it have been done as a custom order much like what John has explained below for his serial number 001 which he never got. Thanks!

20. Billybob Dylan

Billybob Dylan Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Tak. It means "thanks." I learned that from watching Borgen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.