Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ex-Fender luthier’s

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by J.T.S, May 30, 2009.

1. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 5, 2006
    Texas
    That's a nice site, very impressive. I would love to play a P-1 sometime, but I'm afraid that I'd end up wanting another guitar I can't afford.

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    Hey cool man this one works! I didn't mean to call you out, I just found your website a few days ago myself.

3. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh wow, the John Page guitars are really nice looking.

John, if your still around, thanks for making the Bullet while at Fender. I was given an 81 in 81 or 82 as a gift, and that pretty much kicked off my interest in playing big time. (I still have an 81 Bullet BTW, which you can see in my photos here at TDPRI)

j

4. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    Cool... I'm glad you feel this one works better. Running a one-man shop is always a struggle trying to balance everything. The web site is the first to suffer... it sure as hell isn't going to be the guitars! My son is a web designer, but he has a real gig doing it and helping me with my site development is an after hours kind of thing. We work on it when we both have then time (800 miles away from each other... the magic of the web).

Oh, and I didn't feel you called me out. You just stated your opinion and that's what these discussion boards are all about. We had been working on this new site for the last couple of months. Your post just gave us the bump we needed to concentrate on it... so thanks!

Cheers!

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you, John, and Brett, for checking in with us. I hope more of the guys on Xknight's list (and others) will come out from the shadows; I have a feeling we're being watched with interest by many many folks out there.

My belief is that getting the work done right is way more important than monkeying around with time consuming websites. I've got a couple of sources that've stopped the web stuff altogether and I've resolved to accept that - I do not mind at all.

6. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    whoops hit the wrong button... damn newbie!

7. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    Hey... you're welcome! I loved the Bullets, they were my first full product design and patent at Fender, so they have a special place in my heart.

I've got a Bullet story, since I designed it I was getting serial 001 made for me. It had this killer flame maple neck, the body was Page Pink (hey, it was the early eighties) with gold hardware. It was completely done except for final set-up, and it was sitting in the R&D Model Shop. That night there was a fire in the buildings and we lost everything... INCLUDING MY 001 BULLET!!! Man I was pissed. Oh well, I never did get a Bullet.

Cheers and enjoy it!

Bubanov,
    Happy to be here!

8. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Hey John, great to see you here. The website looks great, as do your guitars, and i really like the pickguard design, very unique.

I'm hoping to start out as a luthier, do you have any advice for a young guy?

Cheers
    Dave

9. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    John, thanks so much for that lil Bullet story, that is both great to hear, and yet sad as well, as you lost 001. I do love my Bullet, (will be banned from TDPRI but) it is my #1. I lost my original 81, while being a stupid kid, but got another not to long ago and the shop where I got it did a fantastic job shooting that one I got, if interested in seeing one again in really new condition:

http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/sold/morepics/morefenderbullet.htm

Since I start with a John Page guitar, I imagine I will have to get a new John Page at some point. The site and guitars look awesome.

As the othrers are saying, thanks for sharing and chatting with us here.

Jayson

10. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    Thanks for the kind words Dave! As far as becoming a luthier... my suggestion would be to start off by buying a decent book or two on the subject. Places like Stew Mac have a bunch of them. Study it, you know, really get to know what it's talking about so you can build it in your mind first. Then go out and buy yourself some relatively low-cost wood, like Poplar, and start by making just a body. For your first few builds I would suggest just making the bodies and buying the necks until you understand the relationship between the two really well... then delve into the neck building. The reason I suggest the body building first is that way you can enjoy some success without major frustration and hopefully that will encourage you. Take your time, don't rush, develop your eye for detail, learn to see with your hands too. There's a lot to learn, but have fun doing it. Nothing it quite a cool as building a guitar and then playing it and realizing "Hey I built this"!
    Cheers!

Ahhh... they won't ban you for that statement! I always looked at the Bullet like is was a baby Tele... it just didn't "drop 'em" yet!

Do you know why there is a star and numeral "1" in the logo? This is a test...

11. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK

12. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    Well then my suggestions were a tad after the fact, eh? I have a suggestion for the neck work though. Buy yourself a couple of good pattern makers rasps for the neck shaping. The Nicholson #49 and #50 are the ones I use. They're a bit pricey but worth every penny. They'll take a lot of the drudgery out of shaping the back profile. You'll obviously need other files to clean up the shape, sandpaper to smooth out etc., but a lot of people don't use the rasps first.
    Just a suggestion from an old guy... ;-)

Hey, and I'm glad you're having a blast! A lot of folks forget to do that while they're building.

13. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    :lol: Thanks John.

I'm not familiar with those rasps, i'll check them out. You're spot on about using rasps, I used one of those microplane rasps followed by files and a spokehave. The microplane can dig deep but goes through the maple so quickly.

Cheers
    dave

14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    John,

Ahhh man, no way, you got me there. Have done a lot of searching for Bullet info in the past, and even tried to start a Bullet yahoo group to get more info, but this is not a piece of data I had seen. The suspense is now killing me. Please tell, please do tell.

15. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    John, I just finished reading the text part of your Tom Watson interview. Yours is a real cool story and thank you for sharing it.

16. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

May 30, 2009
    Sunny Valley, Oregon
    When I designed the Bullet I was still giggin' a lot and still reading the trades... like Billboard. The Billboard charts always had a silver star around the number of singles/albums that were shooting up the charts quickly. They were usually the "hits" So I thought that the phrase "Number one with a bullet" which was a classic DJ/industry phrase, would be a great advertising campaign for it. Fender marketing chose not to go with it... so the decal never made any sense. But what was funny, as a side note, the very next NAMM show after I released it, an import company... maybe Tokia or Hondo, basically ripped off the design and called it the All Star... siver star with the numberal one in it and all. Funny stuff!

Wow... you're a patient man... that interview is way long! The audio portion is even longer. Thanks for the kind words though, I was happy to share.

Cheers!

17. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    I remember reading the history of the Bullet article by Dan Forte back in the 80's GP. Hats off to the man who took that difficult brief and produced some decent guitars!

18. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2003
    Wash. DC.
    Shake Some Action by the Flaming Groovies, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, (opps excuse the '60's Beatles cliche), I know that the song was actually a '70's song but it shouldn't have been, it sounds more '60's than the'60's with the reverb on the plinckey lead guitar solo.
    A REAL GROOVSTER IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!

19. [​IMG]

I love my Bullet!

Johnny Isaacs

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, great story. John, thanks a ton for sharing all of that with us. It is a perfect sales pitch and I used that catch phrase as a title for this shot of the headstock on mine:

[​IMG]

This is the Fickr page with the title #1 with a bullet
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaysonlorenzen/3227205273/

Also great to see the other Bullet heads chiming in.

j

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.