Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ever see this Schafer bass before?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by latebloomer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. latebloomer

latebloomer Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    A friend of mine bought this back in 1987, to the best of her memory. It's a short-scale Schafer bass, sounds like the body is semi-hollow. I'm trying to learn more about it for fun -- obviously cheapo, but high on the funky vibe factor. Might be kinda fun to put a great pup in there, though I gotta figure out what the size of that single coil is. The strings are ancient, and it's out of tune, and I played it through my Fender Princeton Reverb guitar amp, so the sound is hard to assess right now.

Attached Files:

2. Squier Esquire

Squier Esquire TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2008
    louisiana
    i've never seen one, but i love it!!!

3. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm gonna say it's a Teisco.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Teisco manufactured for other brands? I was wondering about that. The only Schafer I was able to find quickly on Google was a 335 copy that looked pretty nice, actually.

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Just found this Teisco guitar -- the pickguard looks familiar eh?

Attached Files:

7. feather

feather NEW MEMBER!

May 30, 2011
    los angeles
    what is the lenth of the bass? is this like a 24 inch scale?

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Yep, Teisco all the way!

I wouldn't go changing pickups until you give that one a good evaluation, and even then, something that groovy shouldn't be hacked into, I think...

If it isn't playable, it's at least COOL! You could hang it on the wall as art!

Tim

9. Gaolee

Gaolee Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2011
    Seattle
    Ooooh! I would play the frets right off that thing. It is great!

10. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2010
    Poznań, Poland

Teisco was - if I got it correctly - a subdivision of Ibanez, sort of Fender's Squier or Gibson's Epiphone nowadays (I know those were separate brands).
    The factory was the same, but quality a bit more poor yet the designs were more "custom" and "original" - sometimes simply cool, sometimes totally ugly and sometimes very crude.

11. latebloomer

latebloomer Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I believe it is a 24 inch scale, and agree that it's cool as-is. I played it through my guitar amps and it was funky. Though the strings are so old I wonder what it sounds like with a fresh set.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2011
    Seattle
    A 24 inch scale bass? How does it work? With a scale so short, it might be an electric uke!

13. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    Not quite. Ibanez is a brand owned by Hoshino, no relation to Teisco. There was a very short time when Teisco made some Ibanez guitars under contract.

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    24 inch scale would be short scale for a guitar, not a bass. Short scale bass is about a 30 inch scale. Measure from the edge of the nut (fretboard side) to the top of the 12th fret and multiply by 2 to get the scale length.

15. mtcooper5

mtcooper5 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2012
    vValencia, CA.
    Schafer Bass

I just bought one for 5 bucks at a garage sell. It plays! The strings do need to be replaced. The person selling it said it was played at the Cowboy Festival in Santa Clarita for the last 10 years. I think it will be fun to play, but also good for a young child to learn on.

Mark

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  16. mtcooper5

mtcooper5 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2012
    vValencia, CA.
    Scale length of Schafer Bass

The Scale Length is 24, just measured as you instructed.
    Mark

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  17. mtcooper5

mtcooper5 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2012
    vValencia, CA.
    Teisco

It does look like they belong to the same family.

Mark

18. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2010
    Poznań, Poland

I hate we don't have those in Poland and I hate the fact that if we did, my grasping countrymen would like to earn at least 90% of the market value on each and every item :neutral:

19. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

Neat one, cool as is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.