Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever love a guitar that doesn't fit your "image"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I would love to have one of the original Mockingbirds.

Blazer, Sollipsist and Jakedog like this.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    My image is that of a down on his luck former side man(think Mick Taylor with air in his car tires and a mowed lawn) most of my possessions including gear were nice once and may have even been the thing to have... in 1978.
    Having said that I would have no problem playing the Custom Shop Purple Sparkle Esquire that could have been mine for a mere $900. (it had a bit of shop wear)

Jakedog likes this.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    If you ever drop the big coin for an R4, make sure you get a switch tip!

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Eddie's Frankenstrat doesn't suit my "image"

but country legend David Allan Coe looks like this now:

9D676BB7-B7D8-4351-A9BA-71B9D591A9F0.png

so I figure a little frankenwhatever on my part would barely move the needle

kookaburra likes this.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    When I first started playing, I was blessed to be able to afford/acquire some really nice instruments (G&Ls and American-made Fenders), and I've always liked oddball guitars (Danelectro, Teisco, Airline, etc.) and garish finishes (sparkly green, fiesta red)...

But my extreme distaste for shred/hair metal has prejudiced me against pointy-headed Super-Strat guitars. Having said that, when I get off my high horse and try them out, they generally play really nice and "fast", if you know what I mean...I detest the feel of a Floyd Rose (I don't have much use for vibrato anyway, I do that with my finger).

For the last two or three years, I've been seriously G A.S.-ing for a Flying V (which is not out of the wheelhouse for the Roadhouse Music stylings I've been known to play), but a temporary self-imposed price limit for any new instruments has prevented the acquisition of such. But recently I picked up a made-in-China Dean VX, and have really enjoyed goofing off with it in my office during "downtime". I haven't taken it home and run it through my rig, but this thing feels really nice and is very comfortable to play...I've even started to grow fond of that goofy headstock that looks like an miniaturized inverted V.

If you had told me that I'd be playing that particular instrument (marketed to the Metal Crowd) a few years ago, I would have laughed at you. Now, I can't wait to perform with it.

Pickcity likes this.

6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    If, by "image", you mean "my central girth" - then YES. A Telecaster would prefer that I be little in the middle.

7. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    DANG!!!
    So funky!!!
    The longer I look, the funkier it gets.

Jakedog likes this.

8. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Well there is a long story behind the funky "V" in post 67 but I won't bore you with the details but---In my younger years I adored the Gibson "V" and was like my dream guitar. Though I couldn't afford the Gibson I made one out of spare parts harvested off my Grandpa's inherited 60's MIJ Hollowbody guitar that had disintegrated. This was the mid "70's". I found the DIY "V" very awkward to hold(no really good sitting down position) and I'm a strat man today. Platefire

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    LowThudd likes this.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I still think my tele doesn't fit my image for what I play. I still think it is for old people. But, I just love playing it!

10. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    You're 47.
    You ARE old people!
    Har!

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Well... yeah... but the telecaster is way older than me! I think my generation is the super strat era. Kramers, Ibanez, etc.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Once upon a time, I worked at guitar center. Briefly. Back in the late 90's.

A gentleman came in one day, I do not remember his name... he was a touring player, and was in town to do the house of blues. I hadn't heard of him. Anyhow, he was blues and jazz guy, exceptional player, on the hunt for "the one". Fancied himself a strat man, but had never found the perfect example.

He told me he put jumbo frets in his strats so they'd have a more Gibson feel, but a strat sound, but the bridge pickup was always too thin, he didn't like hot rails, and the whammy never stayed in tune, so he never used it.

This guy was a great example of that rare pro player who's not a gear head, and doesn't even know how many options he's got. And remember, in 1998, the Internet hadn't taken off like it is today.

I talked to him for a while, and said "humor me".

I walked to the front, hopped up on the ladder, and pulled down a USA Jackson Soloist.

Teal green/blue, Floyd, SD pickups, neck thru, shark fin inlays, neck and headstock binding, HSS, big abalone "Jackson" inlay on the pointy headstock.

First thing he says is "man, that's beautiful!"

I plugged him in, and told him to go as crazy as he wanted with the whammy bar. He did, then strummed an open G chord and grinned from ear to ear. He played it for about a half hour, and it sounded beautiful doing Jazzy chord melodies, bebop, jump blues, and everything else he threw at it.

He asked about the Floyd, and I went over how it worked with him. He thought it was genius.

He said how much? I said $2000. He whipped out the credit card so fast it left a vapor trail.

So you just never know. Sometimes I wish everybody had that guy's non-existent preconceptions. He didn't see a pointy shredder. He just saw a pretty guitar.

I did a gig last night with a band that plays 80% Grateful Dead, and the rest of the setlist is Dylan, The Band, and originals music in that vein.

I used a neck-thru LTD with EMG's in it. It was awesome.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I'm only a couple years younger than you, and all I wanted when I was young was a 'burst LP. I had a pointy Hondo and a no name bolt on LP. But that to me was THE guitar. GNR fan obvious fan obviously. All the modern superstrats just never interested me much. LPs, Explorers Vs etc were what I liked.

I still prefer the vintage styles, but do have a couple pointy Vs.

littlebadboy likes this.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Wait... heck... is my age on public display?!!

LowThudd likes this.

15. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Used to be. lol

16. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    I’m starting to think, “too nice” is a problem with my (self) image. I had a PRS, absolutely nothing wrong with it, it sounded nice, too. I also had a brand-new Alvarez 335, and my Skylark. All of them I’m afraid to get too rough with, or leave out where my kids can get at, or god forbid I scratch it... I have a Tele that someone sanded all the finish off of, and another Tele that’s all beat up already (but not “relicked”, my kids just banged it into a lot of stuff).

17. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I play a bigsby tele in a surf band. I suppose that isn't 100% image accurate. I still am of the opinion that any single coil guitar will get you there. A couple of years ago before a gig a I was introduced to a friend of the bass player. He went on to tell me about his Marshall half stack at home and all his gear and blah blah blah. He asked about my gear and said "You can't play surf on a Tele." I said apparently I can because I'm about to.

18. Pickcity

Pickcity TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I played a PRS during my country shows years ago. The guitar was light, had a too easy short scale and sounded great plugged into a Music Man. I wish I still had it.

My best friend has been playing a purple ESP during country shows for at least 15 years, and it too is a nice axe. He is probably playing it somewhere as I type this.

Both of these guitars look very decent, so I can't say they were unacceptable to my tastes, even for country, but they are not common either.

There are great guitars I probably would not own because of their looks, but mostly because I know I can find another great guitar that looks better.

19. Pickcity

Pickcity TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I disagree that it is ugly. I think it looks pretty good. Now I want one....LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.