Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever love a guitar that doesn't fit your "image"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 28, 2017.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    LOL I was just getting ready to look up that guitar :D I think a lot of those hill country blues guys used Peavey amps too, being from around Mississippi and all.

Also it looks like he's playing a Fender Frontman 65r in that second clip but I'm not sure.

I think for a lot of those guys it was just like "I got my guitar now just plug me into something so I can go."

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Agreed! Our idea of a “blues guitar” comes primarily from the British Blues boom and post-SRV Strat-slingers.
    In reality, the old school blues artists played whatever was available as long as it had strings and a pickup to push that grunting, sweating, snarling little tube combo at the back of the bandstand into leaping of the floor in a funky fury!

Fiesta Red likes this.

3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I really dislike most Les Pauls. Too heavy, too showy. They remind me of guitarists I really don't like (Slash, for example).

Except for goldtops with P90s and ebony fretboards. If I'm ever very wealthy, one will be mine.

[​IMG]

zippofan likes this.

4. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

May 9, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure I have enough of an image to really worry about it, but I'd love to have a surf green Jazzmaster even though it wouldn't really "fit" me. There's been a few times I've come close to just saying forget it and buying one but always stop just short of actually doing so.

I don't even know what stops me from buying it. It's one of my favorite colors (if I ever realize my dream of a 60's Chevy C-10, the body will get painted surf green) and Jazzmasters just look so dang cool. Maybe too cool for me? I dunno.

At any rate, I love them but don't own one because of some kind of image mismatch.

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    After my metal band split up, I decided to go back to playing Fenders, since I always felt like those were my perfect guitars and I've owned several Telecasters, Mustangs, Jaguars and Strats to see if I could find that one.

But it was last month that the drummer of my old band called me and told me that he wanted to get rid of something that I got a guitar which I never would have looked at twice.
    ibanez.jpg
    This nineties Ibanez RG-270 with EMG pickups was a surprise. I never liked the RG series because of their skinny necks and Floyd Rose whammies and I never liked EMG pickups because of their sterile sound.

But this one is the perfect storm, I can play Dire Straits tunes on it and it doesn't even sound out of place. Of course I can rock out with it too, there's little this Ibby can not do actually.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Not my idea. I've always been kind of bored by blues rock, even as a kid. My gateway into blues was robert johnson and howlin wolf. The closest I ever got to what a lot of you guys here call blues was listening to some of buddy guy's later stuff in my 20s, but it was just a phase. I think playing a funny looking guitar is a cool move, and strats are for pop rock and yngwie.

Jakedog and Minimalist518 like this.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I scratched this itch very effectively with a 50s Tribute. Inexpensive and LIGHT.
    My desire for body binding came easily with the "faux binding" trick that the factory seems to have picked up on.
    Maybe your ebony wish could be fulfilled with some dye.
    Only your hairdresser will know for sure ;)

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Yes. I like fusion and alternative rock and folk. I had this for a while. It was great fun.....

[​IMG]

I still have the better of these two and it's on the "never sell" list. I love Melody Makers and this one makes me feel like a 10 year old. Happy!!

[​IMG]

Pickcity, Jakedog and Southpole like this.

9. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Epiphone Thunderbird Bass, great sound, great player - at the time I was playing Honky-Tonk country

10. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Not that I really have any public image, but always - always - thought I was a Tele guy. Every time I bought the "next great thing", ultimately a Tele still ended up my go-to.
    But I just bought a 63 RI ES-335 during the great CME Gibson blowout sale, and it is truly an amazing guitar. Since I don't gig, I have a rule of one electric guitar. So which will it be?

11. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I play a 7-string guitar with a reverse headstock - in a rockabilly/honkytonk country band...

12. rrobbone

rrobbone Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2008
    From TX, now in UT
    As far as my "image" is concerned: I don't look like I'd like the music that I do, I don't look like I'd drive the car that I do, nor do I look like I could be anyone's responsible parent.

As far as guitars' images: I pick up a guitar and play it first. I can often be seen wrapping my left hand around the necks of every guitar within reach in a store, then picking up the ones that feel good to me for further investigation. I don't care what they look like, I can fix that. I don't care what the headstock says at all. Every guitar is different. Some are magic, some are crap. Most are inbetween. Some of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever played were from manufacturers you'd never expect.

Right now, my favorite guitars are a Dean Z series V which I've refinished, a Indonesian made Squier '51 that holds the title of "the only guitar I don't want/need to modify in any way," and a partscaster SG that I made to Fender scale length, thickness, and specs. That SG currently has a "Wyld Stallyuns" paintjob, because I grew up in the 80s and I wanted one.

As for what it all looks like, I don't care what most others think. I liberated myself from that concern long ago, and my life has been much improved ever since.

Minimalist518 and Jakedog like this.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    He's shown with a Peavey amp at the beginning of the documentary, and there's at least another one somewhere in the middle:

I think there are 7 blues artists in this film (and their bands). They all seem to be playing different models of guitars.

Jakedog and viccortes285 like this.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    In AUSTRIA!!!
    Dude...you RULE!!!

Jakedog, bender66 and Southpole like this.

15. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I’m with you. I’m not a blues player in the sense that people picture when you say “blues player.” I don’t think I can escape certain bluesy elements in my style and I love to play slide, but I don’t play blues. I’m a middle aged white guy with a punk rock background. Saying I’m a blues man would be more than faintly ridiculous.
    By “our” I meant guitar players at large; the whole (flawed and incorrect) idea that there are guitars specific to genre that everyone falls into from time to time, at least I’m guilty of it. But it’s an unnecessary and limiting construct. If it feels right and sounds good, play it!

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I still have my short scale Floyd Strat a banana headstock and body graphics.
    I still drag it out sometimes. Nothing else i have plays as easily or sounds like it (1 SD '59)

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I know what you're saying, I just come around the other side of it. It's possible that if it weren't 60s british rockers, the blues I started listening to at 13 wouldn't have been available to me. But british blues rock wasn't an influence for me then, or now. Different things seem normal to me.

18. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    No image here, the guitar has all the image, I'm just the strange guy standing uncomfortably close behind it.

LGOberean and viccortes285 like this.

19. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    No image at age 68; I was a Studio guitarist that was work.
    Being retired I play whatever guitar or amp I want. I own 5 guitars and play out of a DR. I love the freedom, I jam still with others that retired and working musicians.

20. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I have an early 90s Ibanez. I always liked the S series and back when I was a kid I would have loved to own one.

I have always looked at them half seriously because I hate the skinny neck and locking tremolo.

I was in a pawn shop and found this one for $31 on sale. Basically, it's an S series body with a bigger Strat neck profile and a really nice traditional trem. It plays like a dream, although it did cost more to get NOS knobs and that plastic piece than it did to buy the guitar.

I'm in it for under $100, so I'm happy. It sounds killer. Plays great as well.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.