Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever love a guitar that doesn't fit your "image"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 28, 2017.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    OK...let's just pick a random hypothetical out of the air...
    You're a Blues guy...maybe...55 or 56 years old...for years you've been playing tweed amps and classic guitars. Often hollow with P90s...also Teles...the occasional Strat...big fat Gretsch or funky Kay, Dan-o or Harmony...
    This is how I...I mean you...ahem...the hypothetical "you"...see yourself.
    Then, you fall for a black, bound, thinline Tele with THREE HUMBUCKERS that looks like something John 5 would play.
    What do you do?
    And I'm NOT going to try matching eyeliner...probably.
    The immediate answer is the obvious one...play the guitar you like...
    But there are a number of factors to consider.
    Even on a low level (local/regional gigs) there's a certain amount of show biz.
    You're a performer...you dress a certain way and cultivate an image.
    You're not really the kind of player that's SO GOOD, your choices are acceptable just because YOU made them.
    If Buddy Guy wanted to play a Charvel...he's BUDDY FREAKIN' GUY.
    But even Johnny Hiland set the internet lights flashing when he started doing Country gigs with a PRS.
    There's Ed Bickert who played Jazz on a Tele...probably raised some eyebrows...
    How far does it go?
    What if I...uh...you... fall for a pointy Dean with a locking nut and want to play Blues gigs with it?
    Ted had his Byrdlands...
    I don't remember, but I bet guitar players were a little surprised by Alvin Lee's 335...I don't recall any heavy Rock guitar players playing one before him.
    Anybody here playing guitars that break out of the mold?

ac15 and Southpole like this.

2. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Tell your friend you/he can use a Tele to play what you want. Most of the crowd doesn't have preconceived notions.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Only the guitar players notice... everyone else just sees a someone playing a guitar and they only care if it sounds ok

zezone, stratoman1, Felino and 7 others like this.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Garage rock dirtbag with a Mockingbird jones, at your service.

dannew02 likes this.

5. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Tell your friend to stop window shopping, else the flat earth society will come knocking.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nope. Mine are the basic blues workhorses. There is a reason for that.

Matt G likes this.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I play country on a Tele, Strat, SG, an Annie, and a Simon and Patrick dred. Maybe the Tele fits the mold, except for the N4 pickups. Others less so but I really don't care. Country doesn't even fit the mold for Long Island, NY. I like all my guitars and play them all; different songs on different guitars but I'm at the point in my life where I only care what I think, at least about this.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I try to listen with my ears and not my eyes.

I'm a sucker for an old Charvel, and I've done loads of country and blues gigs with them. At first I was kinda weird about it, but then I realized nobody seemed to notice except other guitar players.

These days I'm mostly back to using a tele. But really, I've been looking at newer Charvels, and some new Ibanez.

I do all kinds of gigs, from blues, to rock, to r&b, country, etc with a Jackson bass. It plays great and sounds incredible.

I used to be really hung up on this stuff. Lately, I'm getting more and more hung up on quality. If I had gigs booked, no guitar, and only $300 to my name, I'd go straight for the used MIJ Jacksons and Charvels long before I'd look at anything I could buy new for that money. They're just much higher quality instruments. That means a whole lot more to me than what they look like.

9. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    S-300.JPG

Yeah. This one. I am a fan of 70's Guild electric guitars, and own an 77 S-100, 73 S-90 & a couple of Starfire semi-hollow electric guitars. I never thought I would own an S-300 which is one of the ugliest looking guitars to me. Found this one for $550 last year and it plays like butter. It weighs a bit over 6 lbs and just feels so comfortable to play either seated or standing. I have since acquired another black one that is at a shop to get some fret work. The S-300 is a great value for a well constructed guitar that was Made in the USA.

Never had a thing for any of the other pointy guitars of the late 70's to mid 80's. I thought they were hideous at the time and that opinion hasn't changed in the intervening decades. I guess the other guitar I would like to acquire is a Steinberger which are totally fun to play. Not many people like those at all. I think they play great and sound totally unique.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I have a BC Rich Kerry King V with tribal graphics.

I do like metal, but not really into Slayer. I don't play metal at all.

Just a whim, as it was cheap used at Guitar Center with a hard case, and I really wanted a V. I really like how it plays, and sounds after removing the offending EMG HZs. I still feel like taking a sawzall to the headstock horns. lol

[​IMG]

Pickcity, dogmeat and Jakedog like this.

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I play jazz on an SG. Nothing is sacred. devil.gif

fatcat likes this.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Absolutely love Shredder type guitars. Easy playability, Floyd Rose systems, etc. As a short haired guy who's 50 years old, I would probably look pretty stupid playing one. But they are so fun to play.

LowThudd likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yea, I also have a Peavey offset V with a floyd. It is fun to play, even though I can't shred. lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    3-Chord-Genius likes this.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

It's just a telecaster. It's not like it's an erlewine laser.

images (4).jpg

richiek65 likes this.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    No. All of mine are pretty much standard guitars. Nothing too radical. I almost bought an Ibanez "lawsuit" Flying V, but when you consider that Albert King and Neil Young played V's, they're pretty tame.

I do have a good quality Super Strat of unknown origin. It belonged to a neighbor's ex-husband, had been stripped of hardware and electronics, and painted rattle can metallic blue that I stripped. It's on the rebuild and donate list.

LowThudd likes this.

16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Oregon
    My guitars don't really care much about what gets played on them. They're just happy to have a gig.

17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Well, the Flying V and Firebird were my first two "out" purchases besides a Danelectro or L5-S (which is pretty traditional looking).

BUT, I used to work at a shop and we had a collection of "THC" "Tom Holmes Company" guitars. They were the fugliest guitars you could imagine and I say that as someone who appreciates Antigua.

One in particular, a cross between a Bo Diddley and Explorer IIRC, I used to borrow and even recorded with a few times. I kept arguing with myself as to whether I should buy the guitar as it had a wonderful tone/feel. Yet, it was so ugly to me, at the time, that I never did it. Now the collection is long gone and they go for crazy money.

Oh well.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    These don’t really fit the image of my band but I’m gonna find a way to sneak them onstage sooner or later . . . .

DF520FFE-BC3D-4CD5-9F4B-051DD07574CA.jpeg C46995D9-0EFC-4AD6-A051-D6495E33F766.jpeg AFF047B9-E216-4E14-B042-2E2E768C2520.jpeg D1AF0E08-9A2C-4851-BC6C-B35942CF24F0.jpeg

hellopike, dr_tom, Pickcity and 6 others like this.

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

What a lovely red Firebird! :)

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.