Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever Heard You Band Being Dissed (Disrespected)?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by brookdalebill, Oct 18, 2017.

1. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    "They'd be OK if they tuned their guitars."

brookdalebill likes this.

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, by me! I'd complain about how the singer couldn't sing in tune, or play rhythm guitar in tune or on time, and how the drummer would speed up and slow down when it wasn't called for in the tune. The bass player was awesome, though.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    No, but I’m sure it has happened. No matter who you are, someone probably doesn’t like you. I have learned to accept it.

As for what I have personally heard, I did walk into the bathroom at a club after my band did a set (late 80’s) and there were some members of a well known L.A. band (in Chicago as part of their tour) discussing how much they liked our band. So that was cool. I ended up introducing myself to the bass player, who was going to try to help us get a record deal, but we waited too long to follow up with a demo, and the trail ran cold.

I’m glad I haven’t heard the bad stuff people say (though I have heard a few things second hand) but I have accepted that it happens all the time.

If you put yourself out there, you better learn to accept and deal with criticism.

EDIT: How could I forget this story..... In the early 90’s my band was trying to get a record deal, so not wanting to look like we didn’t have a “manager” I created a persona “David Powers.” Great name for a band manager right? I used to regularly get A&R guys on the phone. One time I called some guy who had seen the band at a showcase, and he kind of dissed the attitude of the lead singer, saying he had “puffy hair and thought he was Keith Richards.” Little did he know, that the lead singer was me, and there really was no “David Powers.”

Bastard!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

4. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Ya, by the guy I beat the crap out of in the parking lot.

Seriously, only one time. I was playing a charity fun raiser with a workplace band. There was a large assembly of people who mostly couldnt play thier instrument. It was the only time my parents and family and extended family ever came to see me play. The sound guy video'ed the show to grab some promo clips to promote future events. When I watched the video It became very apparent the only guitar that could be heard was a guy who couldnt even follow the chord progressions and was remarkably out of tune. My whole family made a big point of telling me how bad it was. To this day they all think I suck.

Conversley I recently played a gig at a place that was slam packed with a very enthusiastic audience. When I went to the john there were a couple guys at the other stalls talking about how great the band was, one of the best they ever heard. I wouldnt rate us that highly but it was a pretty nice thing to hear.

teletimetx and troy2003 like this.

5. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I admire your confidence in putting your ass on the line, because though it rarely happens, I have seen people accept such challenges and get up and blow away the person who made the challenge.

songtalk and Grux like this.

6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like the John is the place to go for compliments!

Congrats!

Ash Telecaster likes this.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    The worst things are fellow musicians that tell you that your are gerat but your band is not : "The bass player is OK but he's the wrong guy for your music (band, style, genre). I seem to always collect a following of guys like that who got their own conception of my sound and offer that kind of advice without asking.

8. ac15

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    That’s the key: you didn’t ask for their opinion.

I catch myself doing that and have to remind myself to just shut the hell up, especially if it’s negative criticism.

1955 likes this.

9. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    Back when I used to play I was far more surprised by hearing people complimenting some of my bands than hearing them diss them.

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    After reading stuff like this and this forum in general I'm always suspect of compliments from fellow musicians. I have read so many "these guys suck" stories that I assume any compliment isn't genuine. Not a good way to be of course.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I haven't heard it happen to my band (because when you're onstage you don't hear that stuff), but I heard it happen to my friend's band. They were playing at a full NCO club one Saturday evening, and I walked to the bar to continue getting liquored-up. People were watching from the bar saying, "That band really sucks, don't they?" In all fairness, they sucked, hardcore. They were bad.

12. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Funny story....i left something at a jam and my pal picked it up for me. I went to retrieve it yesterday at his gig at a brewery and watched the band for a little bit. They were a 3 piece and awesome. Very very tight. They played one song I wanted to learn and I walked up close to see what the guitar player was doing. Since I didn't know what to do with my arms I just crossed them. Then I realized I must have looked like a judgemental dick stanidnh there arms crossed watching. So I uncrossed them and tried to look less judgemental.

dlew919, 3-Chord-Genius and drmoniker like this.

13. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^

So, how close to the guitarist were you standing (looking non-judgmental)?

image.png

3-Chord-Genius and troy2003 like this.

14. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Yeah, could've happened....I also could've gotten my a** kicked. You never know it's a risk you take lol

ac15 likes this.

15. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Not that close. Those guys are on "good terms". LOL IMG_20171021_151830991.jpg

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    the last album I put out with a band got flayed alive by the local atlanta press.

Does that count?

brookdalebill likes this.

17. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    who is james mcmurtry?

wblynch likes this.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    He is a clever, acerbic singer/songwriter, and the son of best selling author Larry "Lonesome Dove" McMurtry.
    I remain a fan, of father and son.
    He's been around awhile.

19. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I was playing in a long-haired covers band many years ago and our bass player's sister was marrying a lad who was Strict Plymouth Brethren. He volunteered us to provide the music, without really thinking it thru.

All the time we were playing they kept complaining about the songs (mostly rock) and saying we were too loud. We turned down repeatedly until we were practically doing an unplugged set but still got complaints.

The final straw came when we started playing Black Magic Woman and the little old MC physically pulled the plug on the basis that any song with that title was blasphemous.

20. D.K. Buchanon

D.K. Buchanon Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Some years ago I had an encounter with a guitarist who at one time in his career had been a guitar magazine cover regular.
    He made the remark " I despise local bands ". I responded " And yet here we are playing the same club ".

Be nice to the people you meet on the way up , you'll see them again on your way down .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.