Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ever hear an out of tune guitar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AM866, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AM866

AM866 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2010
    Triad, NC
    and it sound absolutely perfect?

Exhibit A:

Got any favorite songs featuring less than stellar intonation or tuning?
  2. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Sep 26, 2010
    I have an entire album! Animal Collectives "Feels":

All the instruments on the album were tuned to an out of tune piano (full story is on the wiki I think). Question is, is it still out of tune if all the instruments are out of tune by approximately the same amount?
  3. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2011
    Bowie`s `Width of a circle` and `Diamond dogs`
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Athens, Georgia
    Both of you present very valid examples of perfectly out of tune instruments. Kudos!
  6. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Hendrix at times. That guy could never sound bad. I also enjoy Eddie Van Halen and some live stuff he does may sound like noise to some, but he makes it an art form.
  7. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

Dec 10, 2007
    Bronx NY
    Paul McCartney's bass on hey bull dog.
  8. The Quasar-Kid

The Quasar-Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2011
    EVERYTHING by the band Pavement is out of tune perfectly...

9. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Athens, Georgia
    ^ Another solid example.
  10. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Jul 7, 2008
    Pretty much any Lightnin' Hopkins record or performance.
  11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Chuck Berry rarely played intune same with The Stones live.

if you wanna play Chuck Berry and your guitar is in perfect tune it just doesnt sound right.

Most of Neil Youngs electric leads are out but for some strange reason it just sounds right when he does it.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Out of tune-ness tortures me.
    I have to get away from it or turn it off.
    Someone, the artist or engineer/producer must be asleep
    at the switch.
    The horns at the end of Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman"
    are horribly out of tune.
  13. catclaws

catclaws TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Unless your playing along with instruments that can't be tuned on spot fairly quickly, and as long as the band is in tune together, I don't think most people really notice unless it's DRASTIC. I've seen bands that tune specifically to their vocalist's natural range (most times an "in between" tuning), and it works fine.
  14. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    I can't think of examples right now, but I've heard a few songs where the instruments are tuned to each other, but when I play along it's noticeably out of tune.
  15. BloozeGit

BloozeGit Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2005
    Just about the entire discography of Hound Dog Taylor...

Especially in folk music like Appalachian old-time or Irish trad, I find that instruments that are too in tune sound odd. I heard a classical violin player try to play Irish trad once and it just didn't sound right, even though the notes were all correct.
  16. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    austin, tx
    i forget the whole story but jerry wexler had rick hall redo the horns after he heard the master but the old master still accidentally ended up at the pressing plant much to wexler's chagrin...

too much great music where the out of tune-ness still gets trumped by a great performance to let it get to me... of course like everything within reason...

on some records i use my old duo-jet which won't intonate partly because i have a bigsby bridge on it but without the bigsby bridge the guitar does not sound the same and i choose to compromise there probably to some folks disdain... tj
  17. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    austin, tx
    lee moses is a personal favorite... especially how much longer must i wait but i don't see it on youtube... many of lee moses' records are close to perfection for me... tj

18. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2012
    The guitar in the last scene of this brilliant film gives an added edge to the atmosphere. The music adds so much to the scene that it's impossible to imagine it any other way. I think they re-recorded the track for the soundtrack album with a guitar that was tuned more accurately and it wasn't quite as effective.

19. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

It used to annoy me to no end when I was learning the Allman Brothers' "Ramblin' Man." I'd have to re-tune every time I worked on it. Of course, back then, we didn't have computers with software where we could adjust the pitch!
  20. Boundforglory07

Boundforglory07 Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2011
    Bigsby Bigsby and more Bigsby
  21. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

The b string is tuned down a little on this song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.