Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ever feel like just giving it all up?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by popthree, Jan 2, 2018.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I've honestly tried to give up music, it never takes. giving it all up is expensive, cause in a short time you'll be buying it all back.

Mississippi_Kid, Boil and Clifford1 like this.

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    you know If you have an idea , no matter how polished , it is some thing that you have to fulfill with in youself, its hard to find that every one will share your sentiments because they dont share your creative spark , I have written at least 20 songs and have only played them to a tiny hand full of people , because I dont want influence to the tune but more that I want feed back for the Idea of where or how I approach the idea , what i have found is 2 things, 1)most people felt the need to rewrite your idea, and 2) or try to take your idea and make it their own
    I wrote a jazz piece using lots of Minor 7th chords and major 9ths , I played it while noodling about a year ago for the first time in about 10 years and a friend of mine said , Your playing my song i wrote, to which i I replied no , this was a hybrid of major chord scales with some borrowed chords from satin doll ( a standard Jazz tune) he abruptly shut up and said nothing after that. Becuase I knew the history of where the song originated and although he is a more talented guitar player than me , he had taken MY song .or more correctly my chord pattern.

NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE A GOOD IDEA when you feel it , you can polish that turd when you are ready to.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I think you should possibly take a break and refresh. I don’t think you should quit but come back to playing and writing when you are refreshed. Not all music is received by everyone the same. Hang in there.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    If you quit, they win.

Do not let them win.

I listened to some of your stuff, I particularly liked the way you approach bridges with your melody and chord structures. I enjoyed your lyrics.

I was myself going to stop gigging completely this month. I didn't book anything else, and pretty much grieved everything I had given and lost to music my whole life over the holiday.

Then I got a call no one wants to get - that a very close family member died in an extremely tragic accident during the holiday.

The last few days I've questioned my sanity.

Today I took three requests to play gigs this month, tomorrow I am going to reply to the four others I did not get to today.

Sometimes life in music sucks, but when life sucks without music, it is not worth it. Music is a profound way of making a difference in a brutal world while also being healed from it.

Do not betray yourself, plenty of others will be happy to allow it and also betray you.

Fight for the honor to make music that the right ears will find, even if it seems no one is listening. The trees will listen.

Never underestimate the value your life has in this world.

Time and silence are but pulses, breaths, slivers of light through windcoffin hills, unmask and take those hills.

5. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I'm afraid if you're a real songwriter, you couldn't quit if you tried. Once your mind is trained to work that way, you'll never stop noticing phrases that would be good lyrics, and you'll hear melodies that go with them in your head. You can stop jotting them down or recording them, but they'll keep coming and driving you crazy.

blowtorch likes this.

6. Clifford1

Clifford1 TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Kansas
    Take a break but don’t sell all your stuff off. If you do the bug will hit you again and you’ll be buying gear back at a rapid pace.

No harm in focusing on other hobbies for a while. It might be just what you need to light the music spark again.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Oh, now your a music critic.:D

8. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    I’m so sorry for your loss 55. Peace be with you.

El Tele Lobo and 1955 like this.

9. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    ever feel like just giving it all up?

Never!

Yeah, I had dreams of hitting the big time, just like a lot of old boys on this forum and way beyond. I have played in bands, done duos, and solo acoustic gigs. It all comes down to you!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    El Tele Lobo likes this.

10. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Change your goals. Depending on how long you've played, or not, goals must be adjusted at times. Every musician, from the greats to the not so greats have felt the pangs of indifference from others, and even themselves.

Step back and take a breather. After 20 years of being out there playing I took a breather that lasted 3 years. But now I am back. It will never leave you completely. Coincidentally, I had one acoustic that I sporadically played around the house during my hiatus.

In the end only you can decide which direction to turn. It is a crazy, shark infested world no matter where you go.

I must add that stepping back guarantees one thing: Nothing happens. Take it from someone who knows.

Good luck.

Clifford1 likes this.

11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Don't do it.
    Put it away for a while, but don't sell.
    You will regret it.

El Tele Lobo, Tommy Biggs and Colors like this.

12. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I dont know if any one ever felt this way , but I find if I play all of the instruments it sounds too much like me ( I know that sounds nutz ) but it is true and a different approach some times sparks creativity.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

13. Stringbanger

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Sorry for the double post, but I didn’t know how to ditch the large fonts, and I wasn’t done saying what I had to say.:D

I could never quit playing guitar, unless I became physically incapable. Music is my lifeline! My best friend!

I could give two hoots what other people think about my playing, my songs, or my music.:mad:

I am very self-critical. If I write a song that I don’t like, I ditch it. If I try a cover that doesn’t sound right...gone!

I play for me only. If someone else likes it, that’s a bonus. That might sound narcissistic, but I have been at this guitar thing long enough, that I know what works for me.

Keep on truckin’!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Chasing approval and validation from others leads two places: disappointment and compromise. You’ll either be disappointed more often than you should be, or you’ll change who you are to avoid that disappointment. Possibly, and more likely both, because you’ll eventually realize how much you’ve compromised who you are to try and please others.

Take a break. Listen to music, but don’t play for a while. Rediscover why you wanted to play and write in the first place, and who lit your fire to do that. Keep that acoustic around in case the bug comes back around. It always seems to for me.

Enjoy the New Year. Chud.

15. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I just do it for myself, Popthree. I mean, my wife is my biggest fan, and when I do play a gig, or even just a garage session with friends, I get a few accolades. But I’m probably just about as happy to sit in an empty cabin and play for myself. The guitar is just an old friend to me.

Nothing wrong with breaking it off with an old friend, though, if that makes your world a better place. You already made my world a better place, because though you may not remember it, you sold me my first Telecaster years ago, a ‘50s Classic with Nocasters. I never shoulda sold that sucker!

You take care.

16. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Mark has a good idea about workshops. I was active in the Tulsa Songwriters Association in the late 1980s; I don’t know if it is still going on. There are probably more than one songwriters groups in Tulsa.

I’ve benefitted from attending the Wattle Hollow music weekend near Fayetteville, Arkansas, which is held in May and October each year. There were Tulsans at the two sessions I attended. It is run by Jack Williams, who is an excellent songwriter and guitar player, and Kelly and Donna Mullhollan, who are well known in the region as Still on the Hill. The focus on these workshops is being able to share and create music in an uncritical atmosphere; those who attend range from touring pros to absolute beginners from coast to coast, and everybody enjoys it. You can Google Wattle Hollow Music and Jack Williams. It costs $350, which includes food and a place to sleep.

popthree likes this.

17. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Selling it all is probably a bad idea, I've done that a few times, if I hadn't I'd still have my SG and Firebird.

If I knew then what I know now...

18. Rbriggs82

Rbriggs82 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Summerville, SC
    When My daughter (9 years old) wrote her list for Santa she said one of the things she wanted this year was for me to stop playing guitar.

Kinda broke my heart a little. I know I'm bad but that hurt, and she was serious. That was the only time I actually questioned myself. Like I said above i lack the confidence to play for anyone. She's one of the few who ever hear me play and that was some hard feedback to take.

What did I do? Bought a Ibanez semi hollow I've been lusting over and started to focus more on scales and learn more theory. Maybe I'll learn a Taylor Swift song or two see if I can win her over with it.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nope, I live to do what I do.
    I get frustrated, with myself, and my tribe, BUT I know that frustration is temporary.
    I’m only as good as my last gig.
    I’ve (always) been like that.
    Anyways, sometimes it’s good to give yourself a break.
    Maybe take a music vacation, by that I mean a vacation from music.
    See how long you last, in a good way.
    I once spent three guitar/music-less days.
    Thought I was gonna die.
    Your results may vary.

william tele likes this.

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Our love for the things we do as hobbies and even our work / career ambitions ebbs and flows over time. Before taking any action you might come to regret, my advice is to think long and hard and be really honest with yourself.

My main hobby is photography but I've been losing interest in that for several months - coincidentally since my job was made redundant and I had to set up as a self-employed contractor in the same business. In reality, I don't think I've lost interest, I just think that my priorities changed and will, hopefully, change back.

I suppose, to some extent, there is a safety net as, even if you were to let go of your guitars, etc, you won't lose the skill. If, in time, you were to ever want to take up the guitar again, it's just a matter of getting hold of one. However, don't do anything too hastily.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.