Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever buy a pedal because your guitar hero used it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    When i first started playing, Kurt Cobain was the reason i bought a Boss DS-1. I couldnt get that pedal to work for me then, still cant now.

That was when i learned the hard lesson.

Years later, I did get a Small Clone which I know Kurt used, but i only got it because it was on sale and discounted because the only one left was the display model. However, the small clone works for me and has become an extension of my soul. It is the only pedal that has stayed on my board since I got it.

All in all, you will (likely) never sound like the artist you are trying to immitate. But if you are just getting into effects, it is a good place to start.

Staypuft1652 and Iago like this.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Which one cost more?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

3. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    The Keeley " Dyno my roto" has a pretty cool and high quality rotary effect.

It's also one hell of a tri chorus.

The rotary flange is pretty good for getting your EVH on also.

keeley_dynomyroto_001.jpg

Probably my favorite pedal on my board right now.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yes, that Andy.
    [​IMG]

Seasicksailor likes this.

5. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Closer than you would think..

bluesholyman likes this.

6. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Nobody wants to talk about the TS's because they are common these days with all the boutique and new commercial pedals now available, but I will stand up for the TS.

I heard about the tube screamers for years but never got one but finally bought a used VS Route 66 OD/Comp from my Son. That pedal after a period of time became my main dirt box. So now I understand the charm. I now have a VS Route 808, TS-6, TS-808 and TS-9 plus my original Route 66. So yeah I don't need to go over all the famous ones that played the TS, for they are well known.

Higher gain??? I've tried higher gain boxes but found it was too much for me. I do have a 1989 RAT2 for slightly higher gain stuff. I also have a Soul Food for lower gain needs. The TS covers the dirt ground level I like quite beautifully. Platefire

BTW---SRV

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Staypuft1652 likes this.

7. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2008
    Liberty Center, Ohio
    Yes, EHX Small Clone and a Ds-1 to go with my Kurt Cobain guitars. Andy at proguitars is behind some of my purchases, sigh.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I almost bought one of those Rockett Alan Holdsworth pedals, mostly because he was trying to fund an album from proceeds. I had no hopes to sound like him. But it was too pricey.

Almost is too strong. Considered?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I bought a Tube Screamer (a Soundtank TS5) because it was rigueur de jour to use a Tube Screamer if you were playing Texas Blues in 1989.

TS9's were a little hard to find (and hadn't been reissued yet), TS808's were even harder to find, and TS10's just weren't..."right" for the job (little did we know, SRV was using one regularly).

Plus, I was poor--I was in college and working at an oil and lube place...so the Soundtank was what I could afford and what I got.

I still say it's one of the better sounding Tube Screamers (amongst the slight variations in sound and tone in the different incarnations), just not built to last, in spite of the "Tank" misnomer.

Nearly thirty years on, I still use a Tube Screamer (albeit a TS9RI), but not because of my initial inspiration; rather, because it works for me and has become a part of my personal sound and style.

I own (and use) other overdrive pedals (Danelectro DO1 Daddy-O, MXR M66 Classic Overdrive, TS808RI, etc.), but to my ears, the TS9 Tube Screamer is the benchmark for my Texas Roadhouse Music sounds, and has earned a permanent position on the Big Ol' Board of Sonic Bliss.

songtalk and Staypuft1652 like this.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

Amazing isn't it how people who don't use pedals somehow find their way into a sub-forum specifically about pedals to tell us they don't use pedals. Mind boggling isn't it.

11. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    The human necessity to comment when they have nothing to add. Wait a minute...

Fiesta Red likes this.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Touché.... :D I've been drink rum, what your excuse.

Fiesta Red likes this.

13. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Ha ha- much better excuse! I was just bored :)

14. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Doesn't he!!!

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Maestro fuzz when Satisfaction dropped.

Fiesta Red likes this.

16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Don't forget Ribot - every modern jazz player in the 90ies! So when my Ibanez mostortion eventually fell apart I got one of these. It still works great.

17. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I would venture to say that we all bought a Maestro Fuzz after hearing Satisfaction (well, those of us that are ancient enough). I would also imagine Vox and Crybaby sold a few hundred thousand Wahs after we heard what Beck, Hendrix, and Clapton did with them. And ditto for Big Muffs 'cause "so and so" used one. And of course, SRV sold, and is still selling, boatloads of TSs for Ibanez. And don't forget Van Halen and the Phase 90.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

18. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Did exactly the same.... have a ds1, tech 21 sans amp, poly chorus and small clone... all because of Kurt.... bought an electric mistress and tube driver because of J Mascis....

Yep I didn’t really think it through and didn’t need all these pedals but at the same time I won’t lose money on any of them if I ever sell and also worked out I need to get better at playing before buying any more !

acrylicsuperman likes this.

19. michiganguitar

michiganguitar TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, I'll admit I bought a Camel Toe because Mike Campbell uses one. I could have easily just gotten a Green Rhino (which is the side I use 99% of the time), but the store had a CT in stock so went with it. Don't regret it but could've saved some $ and board space going with the GR.

20. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I have and adore the noises I can make with my Bionix Xpandora...I sure didn't need it, but it was going for TS money (looove the TDPRI classifieds) and I had a few bucks to spend. Would I have done it were it not for BFG? I doubt it highly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.