Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever buy a pedal because your guitar hero used it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I went down the Klone rabbit hole largely because of Nels Cline. Never sounded (or played) like him.

Made some nice sounds with the KTR though. Until I got lazy and replaced "pedals" with a SoulMate. Not looking back so far.

Even grabbed the Acoustic version and gave it the first live run on Sunday. My acoustic never sounded so good, sat so well in the mix, and avoided feedback so well - even without a damn feedback buster stuffed in the sound hole, deadening the entire sound. Woo hoo!

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I didn't learn that Scotty Moore used a DD3 until after I got mine, so I can't blame or give him credit for that one.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I had a couple of Jimi Hendrix fuzzes, but I bought them mainly because there weren't many fuzzes on the market at the time, only around 4 or 5 models total I think.

The only other one I remember available at the time was the Vox Tone Bender in the black wedge case. And maybe the Bixonic Expandora (was that even a fuzz?). Actually, I think the Roger Mayer pedals were available, but out of my price range at the time.

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Cry-Baby Wah, Hendrix. Couldn't make it sound like him, but I dug it and had it for a very long time. Now my only pedal is a looper. I have a TS knockoff too but never use it...

-Ray

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    As a matter of fact, jazz players like John Scofield and Kurt Rosenwinkel got me to buy a Rat pedal. It's a great pedal for the odd times you need distortion and it plays very well with solid state amps

songtalk and Pajama like this.

5. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    I bought a Fulltone Dejavibe because I am a Trower fan. Great pedal but not for me. I tend to do better with pedals that have no legacy and are a clean slate. Red Panda Particle is a good example of this.
    http://www.redpandalab.com/products/particle

trouserpress likes this.

6. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    WetBandit likes this.

7. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    Bill Frisell used a Rat to great...wait for it...effect...also. :lol:

songtalk likes this.

8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I am deeply flattered. You are correct about one thing, though.

You'll never sound like me ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Totally agree. This Korg G4 may show up and I just not like it...I'll be out shipping but its a calculated risk based completely on what I have read and heard. But given how hard this particular pedal is to find at a decent price, to me it was worth the risk. The next cheapest thing I could find current is an EHX Lester so for the price, it just has to be good enough...

10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    You mean Andy from Proguitarshop? If so, yeah, he's dangerous! :-D He's one of the reasons I got my AC15c1.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I bought the ModTone Harmonic Tremor this year because of him, too. Cheap, but great. I guess as long as I stick to the lower end of the price spectrum, I'll be OK.

Right? Right...? :confused:

4pickupguy likes this.

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    Absolutely! :p

13. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Ummm... maybe my 'heroes' weren't the sole reason I bought these but they were the reason I chose these over other options.

DS-1 - Kurt Cobain
    MXR Black Label Chorus - Zakk Wylde
    MXR Wylde Overdrive - Zakk Wylde
    MXR Phase 90 - EVH
    Dunlop SW95 Wah - Slash

And countless others throughout the years, but these have stuck with me for a pretty long time now when others have come and gone.

14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I bought a Rangemaster treble booster clone cause everyone in the 70s was using them. Still love them when I wanna play 70s hard rock.

Just last year I bought two Colorsound Overdriver clones because Jeff Beck, Marc Bolan, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford all rocked them BITD....plus NO ONE else uses them now. I have never seen anyone use them but me. I found the COD to be the most versatile pedal ever built. A tone-shaping preamp, clean boost, dirty boost, light, medium, heavy OD, distortion, and fuzz all in one box with both treble and bass controls. Does the Klone clean boost thing nicely.

I don't get it why these things aren't more popular.

MotorTedSS likes this.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I've never bought a pedal because a single guitar hero used one... but I did buy a Tube Screamer because a dozen of my guitar hero's used one...

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Sixty years ago I would've done that, but today, I don't care about nailing anybody elses tone. In fact, I don't even care that much about my own tone as long as the guys in my band are OK with it.

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I saw a few different guitarists get good--and different--results from Boss SD-1 Super Overdrives over the years and got thinking that I wanted one. If Zakk Wylde can get that "No More Tears" thing going with one, and other guys can make Teles sing with one, how could I go wrong?

I was able to borrow one and check it out a few years ago, and I had the same problem with it that I have with the Tube Screamers I've tried: I couldn't get along with the mids. I ended up deciding it was a device better suited to boosting a mid-scooped amp into a ripping, mids-infused soloing tone, and I tend to like setting up an always-on signal path and working my volume knob and playing intensity. Wrong tool for me.

18. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Didn't buy but built a few pedals based on what my heroes used, yes:

Fuzz Face and Axis fuzz because of Hendrix,
    Rangemaster because of Rory,
    Tone Bender MK II because of Page.

We all need starting points. Whether you sound or not like your idol when using "the same pedal" is irrelevant as long as you it sounds good.

19. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Tampa,FL
    fuzz factory because of bellamy ... he was right to use one.

20. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Yup, that's what I told my wife...

Boubou likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.