Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ever buy a pedal because your guitar hero used it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    So here I am, fine-tuning and honing my pedal setup (whatever that means, but I think the phrasing sounds good) and I am jonesing for a Leslie sound because I love Hammonds - I don't have any other whirly effect at the moment.

So here I am late one evening (first mistake) surfing through a listing of used pedals on a well-known chain store site (second mistake) and I run across a used Korg B4 in "good" condition and I go " doesn't Bonamassa use that pedal for his Leslie sound?" - do my quick research and sure enough, even though he is one pedal + tweeds at the moment, his Rock Candy board uses the pedal - he demoed it back in the mid-2000s on a video tutorial he did so I know hes had it for a while. Anycase, I go click, click, tap, tap, click, tap-ety, tap tap...and click. Its on its way...

I figured if he still using it, when he can buy any Strymon he wants, there has got to be something to that pedal....and...everything I hear about it, its suppose to be good (except for its size)

Besides the decent price and wanting a Leslie the ONLY reason I bought it, is because HE plays it still. Just being honest...

Wondering if anyone else has done a similar thing...

For the record, I would totally fail the "no more pedals this year club" and I have zero shame about it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I have bought pedals because a guitar player I like uses them, and I've been terribly disappointed on more than one occasion.
    Just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it will for me, or you.

I have no experience with a Leslie type pedal, I used to have a MIJ Arion Chorus that did a decent faux Leslie tone but that's not a tone I need very often.

Anyway I hope it works for you, I remember those Korg pedals they are big and a lot of big name folks used them , maybe some still do.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Nope. None of my guitar heros (jazz) used pedals...ergo, I use no pedals.

4. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Every time Pete Thorn demos a damn pedal I end up buying it, lol. Dude makes everything sound great.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Hero is a strong comparitor. I choose univibes because 'they' all used them in the 70's.
    My hero recommends a Rat but I never bought one. Know damn well I won't sound like him.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yup!
    I used TC Chorus pedals for years because Eric Johnson uses them.
    That's my only one.
    Haven't used a pedal of any kind for years now.

4pickupguy likes this.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Jeff Beck uses a Rat because he heard me playing one. Someday that kid will make something of himself.

Palaver, Jim622, Sollipsist and 7 others like this.

8. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I started using a Phase 90 back in the 70s cuz John Mclaughlin used one.
    Then everybody was using it. Havent had one since and don't miss it

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    ^ I have your Phase 90 Bud Box and you aren't getting it back.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Me too. His best tone was in those TC chorus /EP-3 days. I bought an old Yellow MXR Stereo Chorus pedal because of Andy Summers.
    I liked the way Andy Timmons uses his Boss BD-2 so I got one two weeks ago. So, yeah, guilty as charged.

11. Archsas

Archsas TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2017
    WA
    My first pedal purchase was a Big Muff, because it was the only pedal in the shop I could recognize by name thanks to Mudhoney. Plenty of my other pedal purchases were influenced by heroes, too. I even built a Rangemaster clone because of Marc Bolan.

smartsoul72 and DaphneBlue like this.

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Similar thing happened with Marty McFly and Chuck Berry....Berry turned out alright...

artdecade likes this.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I bought an MXR CBAMOD because Jack Pearson uses one. I have not been disappointed. I even sent him a note on his social media page after a gig telling him how much I liked it and thanked him for bringing it to my attention. He replied within a half an hour. What a nice person!

I'm sure there are others, but that's the one that comes to mind.

Just thought of another. I went out and bought a Boss CE-2 after seeing David Lindley and El Rayo-X. That was in the early '80's and I still use it.

songtalk likes this.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nah.

The pedal is just one component. That's my first point.

My second is I don't have any guitar heroes.

My final point is these guys have real sound men working for them.

Do WE!?

Just because you see that pedal on his board doesn't mean you'll get that sound.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Nope. I have always chased amp sounds other than the amp I have. My step daughter is just the opposite, by collecting the exact pedals that here more contemporary guitar heroes have. She is learning that it is a moving target. Meaning, what era do you want to sound like your guitar hero?

16. Brazen

Brazen Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 3, 2016
    Netherlands
    The Zendrive. Fantastic pedal.

bluesholyman likes this.

17. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    I had been a Waylon Jennings fan for a few years but hadn't seen him on TV or in Concert in the UK. Then I'm watching TV one night and suddenly I see Waylon singing "Are You Sure Hank Did It This Way" and there was this great sweeping sound coming from his guitar. The TV cameraman must've wanted to know what was doing it and zoomed in on this pedal and I could see it said Small Stone. I phoned around a few local Music Shops but they'd never heard of a Small Stone but a friend put me on to his mate who had a Music Shop in a town about 70 miles away and he had a Small Stone so I immediately drove there and bought it, and I still have it 40 odd years later and it still works.. S

18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Bought a EHX Q-Tron because Jerry made that mutron sound so sweet. Never could do much with it. Sold it to other guitar player in the band I was in. He still has it.

Vespa_One likes this.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I have acquired a couple of pedals because of how Andy played them...

Tobias likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.