Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Evans Pull String relocation

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Silverface, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I spoke with Dave Evans yesterday. He has relocated to Las Vegas - he retired from his long-time precision machining job and will be ramping up the Pull String business shortly. He's in the process of having a new shop built; it's close to completion and all his equipment is already moved. Stay tuned....

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great news!
    I really want to try an Evans bender.
    The quality of the machining looks unsurpassed.

asatfan likes this.
  3. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's great! I haven't spoken with Dave for a couple years....I've got two G&Ls with his benders......I keep thinking one of these days I need to find a Fender I like and send it to him!

Thanks for the "heads up" Jim!

4. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    Obviously you are a fan of Mr. Evans' benders.
    Could you give me a review of sorts.
    I know Bernie Leadon and Albert Lee used them to great effect, and the machining looks superlative.
    Are they smooth, quiet, long or short throw, etc.?

5. asatfan

Hey Bill,

Jim (Silverface) alerted me to Dave several years ago (10 or 12, maybe), right here on the bender forum when he posted his "Pull String" that was one of the first of Dave's "second generation" benders. After Jim's thorough review, I decided this was the one I was going to invest in. Glad I did.

Yes, smooth, no noise, throw is completely adjustable, long, short, and in between, and, most important to me, the tension is adjustable from feather light to very stiff and all points in between. I must have a weird way of putting downward pressure on the neck when I play at times and without the tension set fairly stiff, I create accidental bends, which are usually not appropriate! Some might say I need to refine my playing style but after all these years....

I've had several Hipshots and I had Joe Glaser put a bender in a MIJ Tele back in the early 90s, but neither of those really suited me so much. Dave's Pull Strings are definitely not the least expensive you'll come across, but I can't imagine a better designed, engineered, and reliable bender out there. Flawless workmanship. 'Elegant' is the best word to describe them.

The other cool thing is that Dave keeps in touch during the process with photos and emails, and talking with him on the phone is usually educational and entertaining.

When I'm ready for my third (and probably, last) bender, it will be sent to Dave (probably be one of the titanium versions). And by the way, I wouldn't send any guitar that I didn't already love. The one in the pic I bought new in '89 and it's still my #1.

One more thing....Silverface is the expert on Evans benders, besides knowing more than anyone else I know of concerning benders and cool guitars in general! My advice would be, start saving those gig $$ and send Dave that cool Tele in your avatar!
    Kim's 12-7-08 050.JPG

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
  7. asatfan

8. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Thanks asatfan!
    I‘ll be saving up, it looks brilliant.

asatfan likes this.
  9. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    As far as I know pricing is unchanged as of now.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of previous reviews, plus asatfan covered the basics. In brief - light weight yet extremely durable (I hesitate to use the term "bulletproof" but as close as I think you could get) fully adjustable tension; throw adjustable from 5/8" to 1 1/4"; dead quiet; the only bender I have encountered with linear pull tension throughout the stroke; No service or maintenance needed - I recommend a small amount of DRY Teflon lube be applied once a year or so.

Dave's benders are not inexpensive but having owned Parsons-Whites, Parsons-Green, Glaser, Paul McEwen's excellent slingshots and several non-name benders you get what you pay for (Paul's are a bit of an exception, but his are also partially DIY "bolt-on" units. I use them for specialty applications like my Variax and guitar synth).

I have one chrome and one stainless Pull String, the only Pull String "mando bender" and a hybrid Stringbender/Pull String (Dave repaired/modified my oddly worn-out PW) and IMO the Pull String is far and above the best of the ones I've owned and tried. Any player living in or visiting the LA area is welcome to come over for a "test drive" of the Pull String and Slingshot benders, subject to my availability.

asatfan and brookdalebill like this.
  10. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

I'm putting together a couple of candidates.
    Thanks for the reviews, gentlemen!

asatfan likes this.
  11. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If you want to PM me if you have any questions.

12. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I will when I get one of the part-o-casters ready.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  13. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I had a lefty Evans for a while courtesy of Jim and echo his praises for the mechanism and operation. I didn't keep it because the guitar itself couldn't keep up to my one-off lefty Glaser double-bender without routing to add strat pickups and match the comfort of a 25 year old well broken in G&L smaller neck. If I was to play a Parsons-style bender, the Evans would be the one.

14. asatfan

With no intension of sounding 'snarky' or condescending, and it's just my opinion....I would definitely send a guitar that is worthy of the project. I just say that because the first guitar I sent to Glaser years ago, was a MIJ Tele (62 re-issue, I think), that I purchased specifically for a bender install. I didn't put in much time with the guitar before I sent it to Nashville. Turns out, I never bonded with the guitar (bender was fine) so I just didn't play it enough. I sold it to a guy out in AZ who apparently loves it. So, as I mentioned before, when I was ready for the Pull String install, I sent my favorite. Apache 10 Asat 5-16.jpg

Rick Towne likes this.
  15. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I get it, and I will.
    Right now, I have two necks.
    I will either go full Warmoth-type Tele style, or get worthy used (CL) guitars for the necks.
    Thanks!

16. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Woodland Hills, CA

My first Glaser b-bender was a lefty G&L Leo signature ASAT 27 years ago.

asatfan likes this.
  17. asatfan

Received an email from Dave yesterday. Sounds like he's about set in his new place (as Silverface stated, above). Now, I'm again struggling with the desire to acquire another Pull String....as if I can afford another....
    I guess that never stopped me in the past.

18. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    I was wondering why you’d take the Evans pull string out of a guitar and relocate it.

Maybe if you didn’t like the guitar.

19. rod

rod TDPRI Member

20. rod

rod TDPRI Member

I'm a little late to the party, but I have to say that Dave's work is fantastic.

Back in 1974, before Al Gore invented the Internet, I made my first bender which was quite a challenge, as I'd never even seen a photo of one. My benders all worked well although I improved them as time went on...they stayed in tune and never broke strings. I even shaped the pullers like Dave's. When I heard that he was back in business( thanks to Silverface ), I had to have one and I ordered 006 in stainless.

Both asatfan and Silverface covered things very well in the previous posts. I didn't know that Dave was a precision machinist, but it's obvious from his workmanship. I know a little about using machine tools and I doubt if anyone is doing such beautiful work and in tough metals too. Stainless is miserable stuff to machine, unless you really know what you are doing.

I certainly have no trouble in recommending Dave's Pull Strings to anyone looking for a top of the line bender. I'm totally satisfied with mine.
    Rod

asatfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.