Evan Dando

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Feb 18, 2019.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone remember this guy from the 1990's? Yeah, the Lemonhead's guy.

I really like his covers.

It's not that he's so great or anything. It's more that he takes a song that I would never think of covering and he shows me that it's just not that hard. He makes it more accessible to my little brain.

He opens some doors.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Saw the Lemonheads ages ago at a small club in Virginia Beach. Evan Dando was a very creative songwriter and performer, but was chased by a lot of demons for a while. He really dropped off the radar, so, thanks for the post. Hadn't thought of him in a long time, even though some old Lemonheads tunes still "spin" on my Spotify rotation.

- Bob

elihu and Chuckster like this.
  3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yeah- I love the Outdoor Type song of his...a couple of his cds got regular play by me in the 90's

Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

elihu likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Dando was really good for a while, until he started believing his own press. I saw him in 1990 on the first outing with a revamped Lemonheads as a trio, and the new bass player didn't know the songs. Like, at all. Dando and the drummer plowed through and turned in a great set, which impressed me. I really like all the Lemonheads records through about Car, Button, Cloth, which is when he started being on the cover of Sassy magazine and began working seriously on becoming a drug casualty.

An early favorite written and sung by Ben Deily, the other guitarist/songwriter in the original lineup:

Fendereedo, elihu and Chuckster like this.
  6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Has a new record of covers coming out soon. And, mentioning this for Beyer, will include a Bevis Frond tune.

Cheers,
    Geoff

elihu and beyer160 like this.
  7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Great musician and a local guy... saw him a bunch around town in the 80s, and more recently a few times at the Wellfleet Beachcomber, which is a tiny beach bar on a dune overlooking the National Seashore on outer Cape Cod. Chatted with him a bit before one show and he was totally out of it... kinda sad.

During the show, some guy in the crowd took a picture of him with flash and Evan lost it. Swearing, threatening the guy... really uncomfortable scene. If he has substance issues, I hope he gets help because he is so talented as a singer/songwriter.

"She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete..."

Pixies2005 and elihu like this.
  8. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

I played with him for about eight years, on and off, last time in 2004, I think.
    Very intelligent, talented guy. And a good musician (good time: surprisingly strong drummer, for a guitar player... and that voice...)
    I've seen him be rude and so forth, but he was always a good friend to me (even asking me to leave a dressing room in Brazil he was getting ready to trash one time - on a really bad day - so I "wouldn't have to see it...")
    We've all had our moments, I suppose.
    Like was said, Evan can really cover a song; he's a historian of pop music and knows it backwards and forwards. I remember that we recorded "Galveston" in 1997; I thought he nailed it. And he killed on Gram Parsons tunes; never over-sang them: always the perfect amount of emotion.
    He's on the road again right now with a strong band - Chris Brokaw playing guitar; a great player. Go see him if you get a chance.

Gibson, AAT65, lewis and 2 others like this.
  9. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

surprised this one has not been posted yet!

10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I credit Evan with turning me on to Gram. I never really got him until I heard Evan and Juliana Hatfield sing How Much I've Lied-something shifted inside that moment and it became clear. Now i'm a Gram fan. Funny how that works-thanks for posting.

You too, Beyer160....I haven't heard Confetti in a long time! Made me laugh.

kLyon and Chuckster like this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Saw The Lemonheads play Cambridge UK last Thursday evening. Mr Dando looked in fine shape and played a really good tight set.

Chuckster and AAT65 like this.
  12. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

He had a cameo on last week's episode of The Goldbergs (ABC). Adam's brother was looking for a guitarist for their band, and Evan was one of the candidates. At the end of the show, they revealed that that actually did happen; Even didn't make the Goldber's band but was asked to join with some other guys and formed the Lemonheads. A real bright spot in the 1980's and 1990's.

beyer160, Chuckster and Fendereedo like this.
  13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I love his music. He could write an enjoyable singalong about brushing your teeth. Shame about his decades long drug dive.

Read a book about Wayne Kramer from the MC5 recently. They went on some sort of 'reunion' tour a few years ago, using people in place of their deceased singer. Mark Arm was one.

Even was also given a shot. He was let go due to erratic behavior, not showing up, and picking fights with the audience. I'd like to see him get his business together and his mojo back.

elihu and Fendereedo like this.
  14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Their Mrs Robinson is ok but the real class cover on the ...Ray album is the original closer, the Hair song Frank Mills:

I saw Lemonheads at a free 4th of July concert in Grant Park, Chicago in 1994, with my then-infant son sitting on my shoulders... sadly didn’t manage to see them since. He is a great talent — as a singer and songwriter — hopefully he can make something of his life without drugs.

Here’s a couple of my other Lemonheads favourites (not covers though):
    Favourite T:

Being Around:

15. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Chuckster and elihu like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cantbreak100guy and Chuckster like this.
  17. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Chuckster likes this.
  18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

A pic from last weeks gig. Evan playing his white SG. My wife took the shot.

FB_IMG_1550789351921.jpg

elihu and Chuckster like this.
  19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

That was a fun dive back into a band I liked but hadn’t thought about in a very long time. Makes me want to go dig out my Buffalo Tom cds too for some more early 90s Boston goodness.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Fendereedo, beyer160 and Chuckster like this.
  20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yep, his pop sensibilties are perfect. Lemonheads was a good band.

Fendereedo and Chuckster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.